Steak n Shake Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Oakwood, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Oakwood, GA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

after applying to position listed,received a phone call for an initial interview approximately one week later.Upon completion of said phone interview,was asked to come in for a face to face interview,to which I drove almost 50 miles to attend.The interview went very well(District Managers words-not mine),at which time he then asked if I would be available to meet or talk to one of the owners;which I gladly agreed to do(and which never happened)Why do people go thru the motions and string candidates along(and in my opinion-lie to them) with no intention of following thru.

Interview Questions
    • None really-after all my years of experience-have basically heard them all.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Walk in application... was hired instantly... had orientation few days later... began as a server and worked thru ranks of other lower management until I was offered a full salaried position.

General Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2013.

Human resources called. Set up a phone interview. Be yourself...if you have been in the food business and are passionate and care about the company you work for....then you know you will be responsible for the entire restaurant....labor, food costs, guest satisfaction, food quality and safety...etc.

Interview Questions
    I let them know what I wanted and was given what I asked for. This company needs AMAZING people. I should have asked for more. If you are a HARD worker that TAKES your JOB SERIOUS....then this is the company to work for....so much room for growth!

Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Well, interview with DM, HR Manager. 8 week training program

Grill Cook Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Pooler, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Pooler, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Easy fast fun and I knew somebody who worked there and who was doing the hiring. So I got the job off top

Interview Questions
    • Having t learn the vision and mission quote on the front and the back of the card. You have to memorize it   Answer Question

Steak N Shake Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Short phone interview-to schedule the initial face to face interview. Big in Job Fair settings and Open House walk-ins. Interviewer looking for appearance standards, shaved, no gum, clean tie and shirt. Sleeves not rolled. Shoes clean, proper business attire-suit jacket optional. posture and demeanor-hand shake firm, and eye contact .Have questions of your own prepared, and if left waiting -BE PATIENT. Do not interrupt-calm cool collected demeanor. Be prepared to explain gaps in employment or jobs where you did not stay for long.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself" or "why steak n shake"
      The Tell me about yourself is an HR question designed to gauge character and honesty, and your own opinion of your self.
        View Answer

far too many inconsistencies in the training materials and the units who implemented the training

General Manager Interview

8 hour Job preview. "GET TO WORK"

Server Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

the hiring process was easy they just interview me and my sister at the same time and on the same day they hired a bunch of people and after two weeks only the good ones stayed and the bad ones where fired

Host Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Algonquin, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Algonquin, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2010.

dress professional, yes it is still a job interview not a casual outing with friends, managers are not the first ones to see you or always ask you questions and they take into consideration what other employees thought about you and your appearance

Interview Questions
    • what do you have in terms of experience that makes you stand out from all the other candidates?   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied to Steak 'n Shake by submitting a paper application in person, and one of the associate managers came out immediately and asked if I could come in for an interview, which I scheduled for a few days later. The GM interviewed me on the scheduled day, interview was fairly relaxed but as it was my first job interview I was somewhat nervous. I was told that I would be hired if I passed a background check, which unfortunately took a while. By the time news of a successful background check came I'd already been hired as a stock boy at a supermarket, but quit that job due to physical reasons. I went to Steak 'n Shake the next day and was told them I was available, they scheduled me for training starting the next day.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a situation in which you confronted an unexpected challenge and how you overcame it."-Typical interview question   Answer Question
    There was really no negotiation, they offered me a job and I accepted. Base pay is $3.70, the same for all servers, and the amount of tips depends (mostly) on the number of tables taken.