Steak n Shake

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

So I filled an application in and asked for the manager, sat there for about 30 minutes and then the trainer tells me he is to busy at the moment so give it to her to give to him, i didn't wanna give it to her but i did anyway, so a week later i called for the hiring manager. She said that she would look for it and call me later, I didn't get a call so i was worried that the trainer didnt give to to the manager, so i call the other manager and he sets an interview up the next morning. I go in and he said he lost my application and i have to reapply all over again, not only that but he was really rude and seemed very stupid for a manager. He also said I had no expierence for the job when i already worked at a different place for dining.I took in all the critism cause i wanted the job, he then said i would be getting a call later that day which i never got, i never called again because i don't wanna work for an idiot manager who is unresponsible and has no respect

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply when there's places closer to your house?   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2012.

Posted on snagajob.com, got a call 2 weeks later asking me to come in the next day. The interview was nice and the interviewer was very polite and understanding! I arrived about 15 minutes early, and we sat down and he asked about 5 questions off a sheet and rated 1-3 on each one. "What are your hobbies?" "What is your schedule like?" "How do you react under pressure?" "What work experience do you have?" I made sure to mention I've worked with children, and some silly stories!
    They mostly want to see your personality, so be sure to show them. It was quite funny when I couldn't think of any hobbies besides my cat and video games!

They called me in for a second interview, but it was with the store manager and he discussed dress codes and orientation, and gave me papers to sign. :)
    It was a great overall experience, and I'm excited for orientation!

Interview Questions
    • What's a difficult situation you've faced,and how did you face it?   View Answer
    I was offered minimum wage and accepted,I have no experience and it would of been silly, situation wise, to negotiate for more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2012.

The interview itself was not hard. The person interviewing me asked questions as though trying to make sure I was normal. After that interview I got a call for a second interview. She asked questions along the lines of how would handle this situation. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer that is upset with his order?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Earn tips.

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2012.

Contacted by a recruiter, had multiple interviews, slow process.

Interview Questions
    Low-balled, very low offer.

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2012.

Applied online, contacted a week later. Two interviews, one with the GM, second with Service Manager. Contacted and sent to introductory training less than a week after my second interview. Began training the next week for about a week.

Interview Questions
    • "what do you think about when you're alone in the car?"   Answer Question

Griller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vero Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vero Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2012.

It was less of an interview and more of a "are you a psychopath" check. I brought a copy of my resume - I have 0 restaurant experience. Also I had a spotty bit of working for several companies for one or two months only because of my dedication to full time education. Did that matter? No. Here's one thing - the guy told me to get a white collared shirt for work. Never mentions it has to have buttons on the lapels. Thanks for costing me another $20. The interview is ridiculous and is more of a formality.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about lack of restaurant experience.   View Answer
    There was none. You are not told what the rate of pay is, what your shifts are, nothing. Until orientation.

Steak N Shake Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kissimmee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kissimmee, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2012.

the interview is confusing and i still don't know if i got the job but they gave me a background check paper

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheridan, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheridan, CO

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2012.

I walked in filled out an app and 5 minutes later was asked to come back in 20 minutes for orientation. Most people had two more detailed interviews. It was right before the training for the grand opening, he said they could use some more experienced servers

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving your previous job?   View Answer
    There wasn't one

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2012.

I was called in for an interview for the following day. However, I can't really think of it as an interview seeing as all that was asked was: 'Where do you live', 'How available are you', and 'please fill out this background check'. After three days I was called to be told the check came back fineand I was to start training the following week.

Interview Questions
    I had a vacation planned for the first week of April, and that was perfectly fine with the manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2012.

I decided to apply to Steak n Shake despite all of the negative comments towards it on Glassdoor. I applied through SnagAJob.com and was called two days later for an interview. I was shocked as I had no restaurant experience, but had tons of teaching experience as a summer tutor and dance instructor. I arrived on time; I would have been early, but it was snowing. Once I got there, I had to wait 5 minutes because the manager who was going to interview me had just walked in the door himself. When he called me over, we sat at one of the booths, and he offered me a drink; I declined politely. He proceeded to ask me questions regarding my education, the distance of my drive from my house to the restaurant, and my past employment. He was very nice and personable; I didn't feel out of place. He then asked me questions on what does "hospitality" & the "Golden Rule" mean to me. He then asked me to fill out a background check form and then walked away from the table. He returned, asked if I was done writing, which I was, and said I had been hired, after talking to the owner, who happened to be there that day. He told me he was very impressed with my application, education, and past employment and think I would fit in well with everyone. I was honestly flattered.

Interview Questions

That same day, I was offered another position at a different company. Since I go to school, I had to choose one or the other. I called Steak n Shake and politely declined the job offer.