Steak n Shake Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2014
Updated Aug 31, 2014

2.2

Server Interview

I applied to Steak 'n Shake by submitting a paper application in person, and one of the associate managers came out immediately and asked if I could come in for an interview, which I scheduled for a few days later. The GM interviewed me on the scheduled day, interview was fairly relaxed but as it was my first job interview I was somewhat nervous. I was told that I would be hired if I passed a background check, which unfortunately took a while. By the time news of a successful background check came I'd already been hired as a stock boy at a supermarket, but quit that job due to physical reasons. I went to Steak 'n Shake the next day and was told them I was available, they scheduled me for training starting the next day.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a situation in which you confronted an unexpected challenge and how you overcame it."-Typical interview question   Answer Question
    There was really no negotiation, they offered me a job and I accepted. Base pay is $3.70, the same for all servers, and the amount of tips depends (mostly) on the number of tables taken.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2012.

The interview itself was not hard. The person interviewing me asked questions as though trying to make sure I was normal. After that interview I got a call for a second interview. She asked questions along the lines of how would handle this situation. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer that is upset with his order?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Earn tips.

Server/Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2009.

Interviewing at these restaurants is the typical stuff....they just want to make sure you're not high or having withdrawals during the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lewis Center, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewis Center, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2010.

Applied and hired as a busser within a Couple weeks. The interview was super laid back; real casual. It was my first job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too wild. Be sure to know how to talk about yourself and what your reason is for wanting the job.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

I completed an online application, including attaching a resume. Regular application including a personality test. Received a phone call about an interview two weeks after filing. The interviewers were very pleasant, really felt like a chat, but very professional. I was applying for assistant manager, but was offered an hourly position. However the interviewers were very positive and talked about the many chances for growth,

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything unexpected or difficult, mainly questions about experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Mary, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

So I filled an application in and asked for the manager, sat there for about 30 minutes and then the trainer tells me he is to busy at the moment so give it to her to give to him, i didn't wanna give it to her but i did anyway, so a week later i called for the hiring manager. She said that she would look for it and call me later, I didn't get a call so i was worried that the trainer didnt give to to the manager, so i call the other manager and he sets an interview up the next morning. I go in and he said he lost my application and i have to reapply all over again, not only that but he was really rude and seemed very stupid for a manager. He also said I had no expierence for the job when i already worked at a different place for dining.I took in all the critism cause i wanted the job, he then said i would be getting a call later that day which i never got, i never called again because i don't wanna work for an idiot manager who is unresponsible and has no respect

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply when there's places closer to your house?   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2012.

Posted on snagajob.com, got a call 2 weeks later asking me to come in the next day. The interview was nice and the interviewer was very polite and understanding! I arrived about 15 minutes early, and we sat down and he asked about 5 questions off a sheet and rated 1-3 on each one. "What are your hobbies?" "What is your schedule like?" "How do you react under pressure?" "What work experience do you have?" I made sure to mention I've worked with children, and some silly stories!
    They mostly want to see your personality, so be sure to show them. It was quite funny when I couldn't think of any hobbies besides my cat and video games!

They called me in for a second interview, but it was with the store manager and he discussed dress codes and orientation, and gave me papers to sign. :)
    It was a great overall experience, and I'm excited for orientation!

Interview Questions
    • What's a difficult situation you've faced,and how did you face it?   View Answer
    I was offered minimum wage and accepted,I have no experience and it would of been silly, situation wise, to negotiate for more.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clarksville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarksville, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2011.

Phone interview then meeting with the DM

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sheridan, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheridan, CO

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2012.

I walked in filled out an app and 5 minutes later was asked to come back in 20 minutes for orientation. Most people had two more detailed interviews. It was right before the training for the grand opening, he said they could use some more experienced servers

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving your previous job?   View Answer
    There wasn't one

Griller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vero Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vero Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2012.

It was less of an interview and more of a "are you a psychopath" check. I brought a copy of my resume - I have 0 restaurant experience. Also I had a spotty bit of working for several companies for one or two months only because of my dedication to full time education. Did that matter? No. Here's one thing - the guy told me to get a white collared shirt for work. Never mentions it has to have buttons on the lapels. Thanks for costing me another $20. The interview is ridiculous and is more of a formality.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about lack of restaurant experience.   View Answer
    There was none. You are not told what the rate of pay is, what your shifts are, nothing. Until orientation.