Steak n Shake

Average Difficulty
60 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Columbus, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview itself was not hard. The person interviewing me asked questions as though trying to make sure I was normal. After that interview I got a call for a second interview. She asked questions along the lines of how would handle this situation. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer that is upset with his order?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Earn tips.

Server/Host Interview

Server/Host
Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewing at these restaurants is the typical stuff....they just want to make sure you're not high or having withdrawals during the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing....standard interview.   Answer Question

Lewis Center, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied and hired as a busser within a Couple weeks. The interview was super laid back; real casual. It was my first job.

Interview Question – Nothing too wild. Be sure to know how to talk about yourself and what your reason is for wanting the job.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – I completed an online application, including attaching a resume. Regular application including a personality test. Received a phone call about an interview two weeks after filing. The interviewers were very pleasant, really felt like a chat, but very professional. I was applying for assistant manager, but was offered an hourly position. However the interviewers were very positive and talked about the many chances for growth,

Interview Question – There wasn't anything unexpected or difficult, mainly questions about experience.   Answer Question

Lake Mary, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – So I filled an application in and asked for the manager, sat there for about 30 minutes and then the trainer tells me he is to busy at the moment so give it to her to give to him, i didn't wanna give it to her but i did anyway, so a week later i called for the hiring manager. She said that she would look for it and call me later, I didn't get a call so i was worried that the trainer didnt give to to the manager, so i call the other manager and he sets an interview up the next morning. I go in and he said he lost my application and i have to reapply all over again, not only that but he was really rude and seemed very stupid for a manager. He also said I had no expierence for the job when i already worked at a different place for dining.I took in all the critism cause i wanted the job, he then said i would be getting a call later that day which i never got, i never called again because i don't wanna work for an idiot manager who is unresponsible and has no respect

Interview Question – Why did you apply when there's places closer to your house?   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

Waitress
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2012.

Interview Details – Posted on snagajob.com, got a call 2 weeks later asking me to come in the next day. The interview was nice and the interviewer was very polite and understanding! I arrived about 15 minutes early, and we sat down and he asked about 5 questions off a sheet and rated 1-3 on each one. "What are your hobbies?" "What is your schedule like?" "How do you react under pressure?" "What work experience do you have?" I made sure to mention I've worked with children, and some silly stories!
They mostly want to see your personality, so be sure to show them. It was quite funny when I couldn't think of any hobbies besides my cat and video games!

They called me in for a second interview, but it was with the store manager and he discussed dress codes and orientation, and gave me papers to sign. :)
It was a great overall experience, and I'm excited for orientation!

Interview Question – What's a difficult situation you've faced,and how did you face it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered minimum wage and accepted,I have no experience and it would of been silly, situation wise, to negotiate for more.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Clarksville, TN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview then meeting with the DM

Sheridan, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2012.

Interview Details – I walked in filled out an app and 5 minutes later was asked to come back in 20 minutes for orientation. Most people had two more detailed interviews. It was right before the training for the grand opening, he said they could use some more experienced servers

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your previous job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one

Griller Interview

Griller
Vero Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2012.

Interview Details – It was less of an interview and more of a "are you a psychopath" check. I brought a copy of my resume - I have 0 restaurant experience. Also I had a spotty bit of working for several companies for one or two months only because of my dedication to full time education. Did that matter? No. Here's one thing - the guy told me to get a white collared shirt for work. Never mentions it has to have buttons on the lapels. Thanks for costing me another $20. The interview is ridiculous and is more of a formality.

Interview Question – Asked about lack of restaurant experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. You are not told what the rate of pay is, what your shifts are, nothing. Until orientation.

Steak N Shake Interview

Steak N Shake
Kissimmee, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2012.

Interview Details – the interview is confusing and i still don't know if i got the job but they gave me a background check paper

Interview Questions