Steak n Shake

2.1

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2012.

I was called in for an interview for the following day. However, I can't really think of it as an interview seeing as all that was asked was: 'Where do you live', 'How available are you', and 'please fill out this background check'. After three days I was called to be told the check came back fineand I was to start training the following week.

Interview Questions
    I had a vacation planned for the first week of April, and that was perfectly fine with the manager.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2012.

I decided to apply to Steak n Shake despite all of the negative comments towards it on Glassdoor. I applied through SnagAJob.com and was called two days later for an interview. I was shocked as I had no restaurant experience, but had tons of teaching experience as a summer tutor and dance instructor. I arrived on time; I would have been early, but it was snowing. Once I got there, I had to wait 5 minutes because the manager who was going to interview me had just walked in the door himself. When he called me over, we sat at one of the booths, and he offered me a drink; I declined politely. He proceeded to ask me questions regarding my education, the distance of my drive from my house to the restaurant, and my past employment. He was very nice and personable; I didn't feel out of place. He then asked me questions on what does "hospitality" & the "Golden Rule" mean to me. He then asked me to fill out a background check form and then walked away from the table. He returned, asked if I was done writing, which I was, and said I had been hired, after talking to the owner, who happened to be there that day. He told me he was very impressed with my application, education, and past employment and think I would fit in well with everyone. I was honestly flattered.

Interview Questions

That same day, I was offered another position at a different company. Since I go to school, I had to choose one or the other. I called Steak n Shake and politely declined the job offer.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2011.

Phone interview then meeting with the DM

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2011.

Initial contact via email to setup a phone interview a week later to an invitation to an "open house" 1:1 interview w/ DM. I did the basic research on the company to customize my responses to their core values. Now I wish I had found this website sooner. I wouldn't have emphasized on my beliefs of positive reenforcement and empowering employees so much and I would probably asked harder questions about manager turnover and why it's so high.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Walk in application... was hired instantly... had orientation few days later... began as a server and worked thru ranks of other lower management until I was offered a full salaried position.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Well, interview with DM, HR Manager. 8 week training program

Food Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2010.

Turned in application in person, recieved call to come in for interview. Wore khakis and nice t-shirt. Asked a few questions about availability, why I would like to work at Steak N' Shake and if they thought I could handle the job. I did not have any other work experience at the time (I was 16)

Interview Questions
    • I do not beleive there was any outlandish questions, I think they were more evaluating my ability to communicate, smile, and show up to the interview dresses appropriately.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewis Center, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewis Center, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2010.

Applied and hired as a busser within a Couple weeks. The interview was super laid back; real casual. It was my first job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too wild. Be sure to know how to talk about yourself and what your reason is for wanting the job.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2010.

Basic Questions for a young person. Alot of minors and first time jobs.

Interview Questions
    • You will just be asked what the most important part of hospitality is to you. what does it mean to you? be ready to answer that with focus on the guest.   Answer Question
    Our ride or the highway.

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, FL

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2010.

I applied online through snagajob and received a call a couple of days later for scheduling an interview. I went in about 7 minutes early, had to wait a couple of minutes because of an interview with another woman. Halfway through the interview the phone rang and no one would answer it, so the woman interviewing me had to leave to answer it, which took about 15 minutes.
    Some of the questions asked were regarding work experience I had put on my application and what my responsibilities were. If I was planning to go to college, what my career goal was, and if I was planning to go to college in the area. They asked me why they should hire me and why I chose Steak N Shake.
    There were quite a few interruptions and she seemed distracted and didn't work towards making the interview feel comfortable.