Steak n Shake

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Server

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – Walked in asked for application. Came back during weekday in was given a interview on the spot.

Negotiation Details – No negotitions

Server

I applied in-person and interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – the hiring process was easy they just interview me and my sister at the same time and on the same day they hired a bunch of people and after two weeks only the good ones stayed and the bad ones where fired

Interview Question – no difficult question just be yourself   Answer Question

Interviewed at Steak n Shake

Interview Details – I applied to Steak 'n Shake by submitting a paper application in person, and one of the associate managers came out immediately and asked if I could come in for an interview, which I scheduled for a few days later. The GM interviewed me on the scheduled day, interview was fairly relaxed but as it was my first job interview I was somewhat nervous. I was told that I would be hired if I passed a background check, which unfortunately took a while. By the time news of a successful background check came I'd already been hired as a stock boy at a supermarket, but quit that job due to physical reasons. I went to Steak 'n Shake the next day and was told them I was available, they scheduled me for training starting the next day.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a situation in which you confronted an unexpected challenge and how you overcame it."-Typical interview question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was really no negotiation, they offered me a job and I accepted. Base pay is $3.70, the same for all servers, and the amount of tips depends (mostly) on the number of tables taken.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Columbus, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview itself was not hard. The person interviewing me asked questions as though trying to make sure I was normal. After that interview I got a call for a second interview. She asked questions along the lines of how would handle this situation. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer that is upset with his order?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Earn tips.

Lewis Center, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied and hired as a busser within a Couple weeks. The interview was super laid back; real casual. It was my first job.

Interview Question – Nothing too wild. Be sure to know how to talk about yourself and what your reason is for wanting the job.   Answer Question

Lake Mary, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – So I filled an application in and asked for the manager, sat there for about 30 minutes and then the trainer tells me he is to busy at the moment so give it to her to give to him, i didn't wanna give it to her but i did anyway, so a week later i called for the hiring manager. She said that she would look for it and call me later, I didn't get a call so i was worried that the trainer didnt give to to the manager, so i call the other manager and he sets an interview up the next morning. I go in and he said he lost my application and i have to reapply all over again, not only that but he was really rude and seemed very stupid for a manager. He also said I had no expierence for the job when i already worked at a different place for dining.I took in all the critism cause i wanted the job, he then said i would be getting a call later that day which i never got, i never called again because i don't wanna work for an idiot manager who is unresponsible and has no respect

Interview Question – Why did you apply when there's places closer to your house?   Answer Question

Sheridan, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2012.

Interview Details – I walked in filled out an app and 5 minutes later was asked to come back in 20 minutes for orientation. Most people had two more detailed interviews. It was right before the training for the grand opening, he said they could use some more experienced servers

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your previous job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one

Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2012.

Interview Details – I decided to apply to Steak n Shake despite all of the negative comments towards it on Glassdoor. I applied through SnagAJob.com and was called two days later for an interview. I was shocked as I had no restaurant experience, but had tons of teaching experience as a summer tutor and dance instructor. I arrived on time; I would have been early, but it was snowing. Once I got there, I had to wait 5 minutes because the manager who was going to interview me had just walked in the door himself. When he called me over, we sat at one of the booths, and he offered me a drink; I declined politely. He proceeded to ask me questions regarding my education, the distance of my drive from my house to the restaurant, and my past employment. He was very nice and personable; I didn't feel out of place. He then asked me questions on what does "hospitality" & the "Golden Rule" mean to me. He then asked me to fill out a background check form and then walked away from the table. He returned, asked if I was done writing, which I was, and said I had been hired, after talking to the owner, who happened to be there that day. He told me he was very impressed with my application, education, and past employment and think I would fit in well with everyone. I was honestly flattered.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – That same day, I was offered another position at a different company. Since I go to school, I had to choose one or the other. I called Steak n Shake and politely declined the job offer.

Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview took about 30 minutes. The hiring manager was not too concerned if I had any previous serving experience. He asked me situational questions and how I would handle them. After the interview he had me fill out all the employment papers and told me when he wanted me to start.

Server Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through snagajob.com, about 2 weeks later or so, I got a call from them asking if I was still interested in the position. I obviously said I was and so she gave me an interview time and day. I went and a couple ladies asked if I was there for an interview, another lady came and greeted me and we sat down. She asked me the basic interview questions, I suppose she liked my responses because she scheduled me for an interview with the GM. I came back and waited as he was interviewing another girl, I noticed he gave her a background check form so I suppose she was hired. He also asked me basic questions; he seemed nice and personable. He gave me a background check paper and I was hired on the spot. When I left I shook his hand and he welcomed me to the Steak n Shake team.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake Server interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees and interview candidates.