Steak n Shake Server Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

1.7

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

The process only took a couple of weeks. The interview focused more on what I wanted to do with my future since it was only a part-time job. We also discussed how working as a server could benefit my future professional and academic career. They were mainly making sure I had the ability to communicate and would be able to perform a job such as serving.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions involved how I would handle different scenarios with customers, coworkers, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Steak n Shake

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

I applied online and I got a call back the next day to come in for an interview. The manager told me that if I wanted to work for them that I had to change my hair color. Got a call back two weeks later for a second interview, in that interview she told me that she lost my paperwork or she would have hired me sooner. She offered me a fountain operator position, and I accepted. I called for the next whole week to try to figure out when I needed to come in, finally was told to come in the next day. No training at all. You're basically on your own.

No training.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake (Miami, FL) in June 2014.

Interview

I walked in one day and asked for an application to the lady working the cash register. She gave it to me and told me to come back in two days at 4 o'clock and turn it in (that was when the manager would be there). I came back and he told me he would be interviewing people next week on a Tuesday. I came in and there were about 8 people, all teenagers including myself. We were waiting in a little area, and across the room was the interviewer in one table, and the manager in the other. We would go one by one. When it was my turn, the interviewer asked simple questions. Why would you like to work with us, when are you available, tell us about yourself. Then we had to go to the manager and he told me about the uniform, and to sign a background check, and that he would call me in a couple days for orientation. Unfortunately, the call never came and I called, asking what happened. I qualified, but they did not have any spots available at the moment. I was so upset.

Interview Questions

• they were all easy, so probably "tell us about yourself"   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake (Columbus, OH) in April 2014.

Interview

I went in with my friend to turn in there application, watched the manager take over the application with him and said" I will send it to the big boss".

So i like 'oh what the heck' to myself. So I asked for an application, my friend left me there, I filled it out in front of the managers face, handed it to him, he interviewed me right on the spot and was very impressed! So then he like " hold on a few minutes, let me go ask the other manager when he will be back in next". Then one of the cooks came up to me all shy and said"soo, you interested in a job here, ........., oh' your lucky, he's the mean one and we have 3 bosses" "he likes you(the manager)".

Then the manager came back out and said " can you be here tomorrow at 4:00PM, arrive at 3:30PM tho.

Then i came in the next day, 3:29PM and waited till around 4, 4:15 and Met the other manager, " he said I came HIGHLY Recommened by the first boss, and he must of really liked you to give you a second interview"

I will give you a call tomorrow after I hear back from the other manager.

Interview Questions

• Average normal questions: 1. Do you consider yourself a people person?
                                                        2. Tell me more about yourself?
                                                        3. What do you like to do in your free time?
                                                        4. How would you handle this situation? "........................................"
                                                        5. What makes you think your good enough for this job?
                                                        6. Think you can handle it?
                                                        7. This is a high energy, demanding, job. are you reliable?
                                                        8.Do you have any serving experience?
                                                        9. Customers always right. How would you keep there orders right?
                                                       10. Why apply to work here? why Steak-N-Shake?

1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2014.

Interview

It was a really easy interview, they basically asked question about myself and my previous jobs. They wanted to know my weakness and strengths and they wanted me to explain how this will effect me while working. Also, the interviewer just wanted to know when I will be available to work and how often I am willing to work.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you disliked about your previous employment.   1 Answer

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

Walked in asked for application. Came back during weekday in was given a interview on the spot.

Negotiation

No negotitions

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2014.

Interview

All I did was come in and talk to some of the workers there and they said they needed people there. I kind of talked myself up, filled out an application, and got an interview a week later. I interviewed with an assistant and general manager. They contacted me a MONTH later because they were forgetful.

Interview Questions

• They ask you about your experience and the type of person you are. They didn't ask you for anything too complicated.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

the hiring process was easy they just interview me and my sister at the same time and on the same day they hired a bunch of people and after two weeks only the good ones stayed and the bad ones where fired

Server Interview

Interview

I applied to Steak 'n Shake by submitting a paper application in person, and one of the associate managers came out immediately and asked if I could come in for an interview, which I scheduled for a few days later. The GM interviewed me on the scheduled day, interview was fairly relaxed but as it was my first job interview I was somewhat nervous. I was told that I would be hired if I passed a background check, which unfortunately took a while. By the time news of a successful background check came I'd already been hired as a stock boy at a supermarket, but quit that job due to physical reasons. I went to Steak 'n Shake the next day and was told them I was available, they scheduled me for training starting the next day.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a situation in which you confronted an unexpected challenge and how you overcame it."-Typical interview question   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was really no negotiation, they offered me a job and I accepted. Base pay is $3.70, the same for all servers, and the amount of tips depends (mostly) on the number of tables taken.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake (Lake Mary, FL).

Interview

So I filled an application in and asked for the manager, sat there for about 30 minutes and then the trainer tells me he is to busy at the moment so give it to her to give to him, i didn't wanna give it to her but i did anyway, so a week later i called for the hiring manager. She said that she would look for it and call me later, I didn't get a call so i was worried that the trainer didnt give to to the manager, so i call the other manager and he sets an interview up the next morning. I go in and he said he lost my application and i have to reapply all over again, not only that but he was really rude and seemed very stupid for a manager. He also said I had no expierence for the job when i already worked at a different place for dining.I took in all the critism cause i wanted the job, he then said i would be getting a call later that day which i never got, i never called again because i don't wanna work for an idiot manager who is unresponsible and has no respect

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply when there's places closer to your house?   Answer Question