Steelcase

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Associate Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steelcase in November 2011.

After a short phone interview, mostly geared toward gauging mutual interest and confirming competency, I was invited in for an on-site interview.

The interview lasted all day, and consisted of four panel interviews with three or four employees or managers from the teams that were looking to add a member. Between these interviews, tours of the Grand Rapids campus were given, and there was some time to talk to HR about benefits, etc.

There were few technical questions (none that I can remember beyond inquiries about what programming languages I had used and what my comfort level with them was). Most questions centered around what type of worker I am and where my passions and interests lie. All four sessions ended up being more of a conversation than anything else.

Everyone I met was incredibly friendly, the campus and workspaces are gorgeous (as they should be at a company that focuses on spaces. The work culture is progressive and laid back, while still being highly productive. Daily attire is anywhere from suits and ties to jeans and polos, and many employees are mobile, which allows the freedom to sit and work wherever they want on any given day.

I didn't see the need to negotiate on my offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be done in certain situations. I was asked after the phone screening what I was expecting as a salary, and was told that the number I gave (which was an honest, optimistic assessment of what I thought I was worth) was slightly higher than they usually give for the entry level position I would be hiring in to. When the offer I received was for that exact amount, I felt that negotiating was unnecessary and potentially insulting to the HR staff that clearly went to bat for me.