Steelcase Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2014
Updated Jul 5, 2014

3.1

Dealer Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Steelcase in September 2012.

It was an on campus interview with a panel of three ladies. Only behavioral questions were posed. They were very nice and only 15 people national wide would be picked up for a final round interview, of which only 4 would be chosen.

Interview Questions
    • An scenario question: what would you do if a client want the best part of service form dealer A and product from dealer B.   Answer Question

Design Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Steelcase in May 2012.

I met the person who would be my boss at a coffee shop near my home. He described the research project and asked me how I would go about creating a protocol to complete it. I asked him how familiar he was with the methods of design research, and then detailed the steps involved. I was offered a contract the next day over the phone, then met in person one week later to sign documents.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about how you would conduct this research project from beginning to end.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Steelcase in March 2012.

Applied online. Couple of weeks later, I got a call from HR asking to schedule a phone interview. The interview was conducted by 2 people (HR and the team member) and lasted for about 30-40 min. Questions were mostly related to past experience and school work along with a few behavioral questions. Pretty straight forward. A week later I received the offer letter. Overall a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Steelcase?
      What do you expect from this internship?
        Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steelcase in January 2012.

The interview was a very standard interview that consisted of behavioral questions, questions about experience, and questions about future plans. I was interviewed with two other people, and they both seemed very friendly and welcoming. One of these people was from the HR Department and another was from the IT department. I was asked for an interview within a couple of days after submitting my application, and the interview was located on my college's campus.

Associate Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steelcase in November 2011.

After a short phone interview, mostly geared toward gauging mutual interest and confirming competency, I was invited in for an on-site interview.

The interview lasted all day, and consisted of four panel interviews with three or four employees or managers from the teams that were looking to add a member. Between these interviews, tours of the Grand Rapids campus were given, and there was some time to talk to HR about benefits, etc.

There were few technical questions (none that I can remember beyond inquiries about what programming languages I had used and what my comfort level with them was). Most questions centered around what type of worker I am and where my passions and interests lie. All four sessions ended up being more of a conversation than anything else.

Everyone I met was incredibly friendly, the campus and workspaces are gorgeous (as they should be at a company that focuses on spaces. The work culture is progressive and laid back, while still being highly productive. Daily attire is anywhere from suits and ties to jeans and polos, and many employees are mobile, which allows the freedom to sit and work wherever they want on any given day.

I didn't see the need to negotiate on my offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be done in certain situations. I was asked after the phone screening what I was expecting as a salary, and was told that the number I gave (which was an honest, optimistic assessment of what I thought I was worth) was slightly higher than they usually give for the entry level position I would be hiring in to. When the offer I received was for that exact amount, I felt that negotiating was unnecessary and potentially insulting to the HR staff that clearly went to bat for me.

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steelcase in November 2011.

When I applied online, I got an email from the team asking to set up an interview. I was coming from a really small marketing firm, and had never studied HR before, but I still got the interview. I interviewed with the Human Resource Shared Services team leader, as well as two current interns. They asked me questions from a standard list of questions they all had, and wrote down my answers. They then explained their experiences as interns. I left feeling like it went well, and I got an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any questions because it was so long ago   Answer Question
    I could negotiate my start date, but I didn't really have any say in my salary at all (but that was fine because it was a lot higher than expected)

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Steelcase in July 2011.

I applied for a position posted on my school job board. I got a call back perhaps the next day. After that first interview, I went on to a second interview with two more senior, longer-tenure management members. I don't remember there being any behavioral questions. They were all about strategy and other concepts related to the specific position I was being considered for.

Interview Questions
    • The toughest question was a case question about the number of manhole covers.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Steelcase in May 2011.

Very uncomfortable setting ! I felt like it was an interrogation, there was a bright hanging in light in my face with three interviewers. First words out of their mouths ware "if I needed to k ow how many painters there are in the united states how would you find that informations for me"? This led to many other questions of this sort. Another example "if I gave you a brick and you couldn't use it as a paper weight or a door stop give me five things you'd use it for.". Overall two of the three interviewers seemed interested in speaking with me an the other which was the closest in proximity to me swemed as if she felt I was wasting her time. Interview took three hours

Interview Questions
    • How would you find the number of painters in the U.S.?   View Answer

Work Place Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Steelcase in February 2011.

This company’s interview process is insane had I been offered the job I would have declined it unless the salary was 110k + may have been the reason I did not get the job. Drug Test is a hair test goes back over a year, they have a physiological exam that is just an excuse to ask you illegal interview question about personal details of your life. This company is a dinosaur and has recently lost 40% of its sales volume according to the people I interviewed with. Also take a look at their stock price going down they will tell you they don’t care about the investors but that is bogus. Stay away from this company go work for anyone else.

Dont take my word for it go on linkd in and find some ex sales people they will tell you the same.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Steelcase in November 2010.

I had an interview on campus, then got offered a second interview at the location and had three people interviewing me

got a better offer