Steelcase

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

3.1

Applications Engineer Interview

very good interview experience. They have other people in your potential team interview you normally. The interview lasted a while - with different groups of people interviewing and using pre-determined questions. which is good - because they are not recruiters, but possible co-workers.

Interview Questions
    • If you do not know anything about the system and are on call, and get called in the middle of the night about something you know nothing about what would you do?   Answer Question
    Virtually no negociation tolerated except on time off.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Grand Ra, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Grand Ra, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steelcase.

Fair, professional

Interview Questions
    • Describe your biggest mistake at your last job and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    None. It was "this is the job, this is the pay"

Systems Analyst/Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Steelcase in October 2012.

Steelcase posted a job on WMU's job network. After a quick search it would appear Steelcase has been advertising this job to multiple colleges and accepting resumes. I applied and was scheduled to complete an on campus interview. The interview was two individuals. Laura and another guy. The interview process was low pressure and only 30 minutes in length. General behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Despite applying for a particular job, the interview left me under the impression that it was for multiple jobs I was applying for. This made it more difficult for me to ask good questions in return I felt as I just didn't know exactly what I was really applying for. General behavioral questions tho. How do you respond under pressure? Explain an incident where the ball was dropped and how you handled it? Give us an example that shows I am capable of dealing with dynamic problems.   Answer Question

Dealer Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steelcase in September 2012.

It was an on campus interview with a panel of three ladies. Only behavioral questions were posed. They were very nice and only 15 people national wide would be picked up for a final round interview, of which only 4 would be chosen.

Interview Questions
    • An scenario question: what would you do if a client want the best part of service form dealer A and product from dealer B.   Answer Question

Design Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Steelcase in May 2012.

I met the person who would be my boss at a coffee shop near my home. He described the research project and asked me how I would go about creating a protocol to complete it. I asked him how familiar he was with the methods of design research, and then detailed the steps involved. I was offered a contract the next day over the phone, then met in person one week later to sign documents.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about how you would conduct this research project from beginning to end.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steelcase in March 2012.

Applied online. Couple of weeks later, I got a call from HR asking to schedule a phone interview. The interview was conducted by 2 people (HR and the team member) and lasted for about 30-40 min. Questions were mostly related to past experience and school work along with a few behavioral questions. Pretty straight forward. A week later I received the offer letter. Overall a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Steelcase?
      What do you expect from this internship?

Answer Question

Product Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Steelcase in January 2012.

Very thorough with the hiring process. Culture and 'fit' is very important to the company and people that work here. Company is not as interested in GPA and things of that nature. They look to hire smart, well-rounded people.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you felt you needed to be a leader? How did you go-about doing that?   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steelcase in January 2012.

The interview was a very standard interview that consisted of behavioral questions, questions about experience, and questions about future plans. I was interviewed with two other people, and they both seemed very friendly and welcoming. One of these people was from the HR Department and another was from the IT department. I was asked for an interview within a couple of days after submitting my application, and the interview was located on my college's campus.

Associate Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steelcase in November 2011.

After a short phone interview, mostly geared toward gauging mutual interest and confirming competency, I was invited in for an on-site interview.

The interview lasted all day, and consisted of four panel interviews with three or four employees or managers from the teams that were looking to add a member. Between these interviews, tours of the Grand Rapids campus were given, and there was some time to talk to HR about benefits, etc.

There were few technical questions (none that I can remember beyond inquiries about what programming languages I had used and what my comfort level with them was). Most questions centered around what type of worker I am and where my passions and interests lie. All four sessions ended up being more of a conversation than anything else.

Everyone I met was incredibly friendly, the campus and workspaces are gorgeous (as they should be at a company that focuses on spaces. The work culture is progressive and laid back, while still being highly productive. Daily attire is anywhere from suits and ties to jeans and polos, and many employees are mobile, which allows the freedom to sit and work wherever they want on any given day.

I didn't see the need to negotiate on my offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be done in certain situations. I was asked after the phone screening what I was expecting as a salary, and was told that the number I gave (which was an honest, optimistic assessment of what I thought I was worth) was slightly higher than they usually give for the entry level position I would be hiring in to. When the offer I received was for that exact amount, I felt that negotiating was unnecessary and potentially insulting to the HR staff that clearly went to bat for me.

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steelcase in November 2011.

When I applied online, I got an email from the team asking to set up an interview. I was coming from a really small marketing firm, and had never studied HR before, but I still got the interview. I interviewed with the Human Resource Shared Services team leader, as well as two current interns. They asked me questions from a standard list of questions they all had, and wrote down my answers. They then explained their experiences as interns. I left feeling like it went well, and I got an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any questions because it was so long ago   Answer Question
    I could negotiate my start date, but I didn't really have any say in my salary at all (but that was fine because it was a lot higher than expected)