Stein Mart

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

1.9

Merchandising Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Stein Mart.

Applied online. Took only a few days for an interview date and time to be set up. The interview was brief, not even 15 minutes but the interviewer was very kind and easy to talk to. I had a good feeling about getting it but left the store pretty sure it wouldn't be the position I signed up for. I thought I'd better ask if what I applied for was actually available and was told they don't just hire into that position which is fine but had I'd known that in the beginning, it could have saved me a lot of time. There was still hope though and couple days after the interview I received an offer.

Interview Questions

I applied for a manager position but was offered a sales associate job.

I applied online – interviewed at Stein Mart.

After completing the interview process online for a new store in my area I received call to come into the store for an interview. The person who was interviewing me arrived a few minutes late which was aggravating since because the store was not open I was waiting outside. The interview itself was informal, especially since it was conducted on folding chairs in a building that was still under construction. After what I would rate a as a distinctly neutral interview I was told I would receive a call back within several days. I called a week later and was told to call back again several days later which I did and was again told to call back several days later. At that point I moved on.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to speak about Stein-marts history which I had not spent the time researching before hand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stein Mart in July 2014.

It was in-person. Past personal social experiences were quite helpful. The questions were about how I would interact with other customers and how I would help out the company. They also were based on how I would perform under certain pressure in specific situations.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Stein Mart.

Submitted resume at company website and on job search engine. Called location a week after submitting and told Store Manager was on vacation and he would review resume when he got back. Called again at the end of the second week spoke to Store Manager and set up interview date.

Interview Questions
    • Sorry, can't remember questions. Only remember they were not that difficult and I think with my extensive background I was pretty confident that I had the job.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiating. Manager said although salary was low company is a great place to work. I was on my last unemployment check so I needed to take the job at the time.

Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stein Mart in April 2014.

I applied online and got a call a day later to schedules a interview. The interview was very easy since they were desperate for workers because it was a new store. A couple of hours later I got a call offering me a position and they ran a background check now after this is were it got weird it took FOREVER for my background check but I got called twice about the pay one manager told me 8.75 and the other told me 8.50 make sure you record any calls you receive

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Stein Mart.

I had originally applied in May and the manager decided to call me in December. Before he called I was told I would be contacted quite a few times after he checked my availability. The interview was pretty normal but he wouldn't let me refer back to my school club leadership experience which is all I had. They were very disorganized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stein Mart.

applied online and called for an interview

Interview Questions
    • really casual interview. just asked me about myself and told me about the job. I think they just wanted to see if I looked nice and could speak to people.   Answer Question

Department Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Stein Mart in December 2013.

Interviews are short and are not very detailed. The avg interview time is 15 to 20 min. My interview was about 10 min. There was not really much to it other than a description of job applied for and what they will pay. I interviewed and was hired within 4 days of applying.

Not really negotiable.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Stein Mart.

The manager showed up late from her lunch and I could tell she forgot about the Interview. She hadn't even looked at my resume and complained that she wanted someone with more experience even though I had a degree and plenty of retail experience. At the end she said she liked my personality but that she wanted someone with more experience. So why call and waste my time? Later she said she was going to do a back round check and get back to me, haven't heard from her since.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Stein Mart.

I walked in to the store with a resume and cover letter and asked to see the manager. The cashier called him up to the front and I told him why I was there. He ushered me into his office and talked with me briefly about my experience. I thanked him for his time, left, and dropped a thank-you note off the next day. I got a call for an interview, which was very simple. No unexpected questions, very general.

Interview Questions

Offered pay was too low for my experience.