Stein Mart

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Stein Mart.

Interview Details – I had originally applied in May and the manager decided to call me in December. Before he called I was told I would be contacted quite a few times after he checked my availability. The interview was pretty normal but he wouldn't let me refer back to my school club leadership experience which is all I had. They were very disorganized.

Interview Question – What are you most passionate about?   Answer Question

Columbia, SC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stein Mart.

Interview Details – applied online and called for an interview

Interview Question – really casual interview. just asked me about myself and told me about the job. I think they just wanted to see if I looked nice and could speak to people.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stein Mart.

Interview Details – My interview was very unorganized. The manager wasn't aware that I was coming and didn't prepare any questions and had no idea who I was. She asked for my availability and told me about the store then gave me a tour. From what I heard from other employees, they are very simple. Most likely you will be hired if you're called in for an interview.

Interview Question – Why Stein Mart   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stein Mart.

Interview Details – Very friendly, typical questions..." Tell me why you want to work here"

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Very friendly and open.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stein Mart.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very quick. The day after my interview, they called me back and told me that I got the job. It was quick and easy.

Interview Question – How would you sell a customer a credit card while working on the floor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Stein Mart.

Interview Details – I stopped in the store and turned in an application. A couple of days later I was called in for an interview. I interviewed with the manager of the ladies dept. and was offered a part-time position on the spot. More recently, we have told people who come in asking about employment to go to our website and fill out an application online. From there we'll be able to view your application, and if we're interested, you'll be invited to interview with our assistant manager.

Interview Question – I find the hardest question that is asked is to list 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses.   Answer Question

Sarasota, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stein Mart in October 2010.

Interview Details – Normal

Interview Question – Why do I want to wrok for SteinMart   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiaions; pay offering standard with no regard for experience.

Tulsa, OK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stein Mart in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called less than a week later. I had one interview with the assistant manager. They were very friendly and asked the normal interview questions, such as tell me about yourself, what were your previous jobs, etc. Then they went over the store details, job details, and pay and asked if I was interested. I said yes and was told I would get a call back a few days later as there were other interviewees. I did get a call back on the day promised and was offered a job.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself and your previous jobs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, everyone starts at same salary regardless of experience.

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stein Mart in July 2009.

Interview Details – I applied in person. I got an interview with assistant manager. The interview had standard interview questions: customer situations, upset customers, why you want this job. Then I had a second interview with general manager. Same type of questions, but a bit more specific. Asked about availability, which seemed crucial for the job. Nothing hard. Left thank you letter. Got a call that I had an offer and accepted.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Stein Mart?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much room for negotiation. This was my first job and they offered a decent amount. If you had more customer service experience or applied for full time then you differently have room to negotiate a better wage.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Stein Mart in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through their website and a member of HR called me the next night to set up an interview. I arrived a few minutes early and noticed most of the associates seemed rather unhappy--quite possibly because of all of the clutter in the store. The jewelry counter had displays all around about 2 feet high, so I was truly in awe that the lady behind the counter could direct me where to go (which was helpful because no one else seemed interested in helping me.) Anyway, during the interview, I was asked standard questions about my previous jobs. Pretty straightforward; nothing too out of the ordinary. The interviewer said the position I had applied for (and was excited about) was no longer available. I think she could tell I was a little disappointed to hear that, but I got a sales associate job offer 5 days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much room for negotiation, even based on my previous experiences in this field. It was a little above minimum wage. A majority of the positions are part-time, but if it's close to home and you need a job, I'd go for it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Stein Mart

Worked for Stein Mart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stein Mart Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Stein Mart employees and interview candidates.