Stella & Dot

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.2

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Stella & Dot.

The process for interviewing with Stella & Dot was generally straightforward. Their internal recruiter was lovely and the initial interview went smoothly although it ran 10 minutes behind schedule. The second round with leadership was 15 minutes behind schedule. The call took place seemingly during this individual's commute. Questions ranged from personal to professional, though the conversation felt rushed. After reading reviews on Glassdoor, I asked a handful of questions regarding the biggest challenges associated with this role. I was told (in a political manner) that things swiftly change direction at the behest of the company president and seemingly on a whim. The rest of the discussion went as expected. I was told the internal recruiter would be in touch with next steps and that the next round would be in person. I never received further information from the recruiter with feedback, next steps or to close the loop.

Product Department Interview

I had two phone interviews with the company. They asked lots of question around ideas to improve the product. The Manager said the recruiter will contact soon but the recruiter never even followed up. Overall, I had a very bad experience.

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

quick to setup a call with hiring manager, but day-of interview was bad news bears - very disorganized. Double booked against a candidate applying for the same position. 6 back-to-back interviews of 30 minutes each. 3 of 6 interviewers were more than 5 minutes late. I got asked the same question by 3 people that I already went through with the screener. I guess they don't share notes.

Office energy was uninspiring - seems like a bunch of clock punchers just passing time and collecting paychecks. Nobody seemed especially excited about their work.

It's been over 30 days, and repeated inquiries, but I haven't heard anything back. As a formality, any company should formally close the loop with a candidate, even if it's as simple as hitting 'reject' in jobvite.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Stella & Dot in June 2014.

Applied for the position online via their website. Received an email from the recruiter on the following day inquiring about my availability to set up time for phone call. I then provided my availability but then I didn't receive any response until later that evening from her asking (yet again) for my schedule and availability. Without confirming, I received a call from an unknown number, which turned out to be the recruiter herself (fortunately for them I wasn't busy so I was able to pick up this call). Pretty standard procedure as far as greetings are concerned, recruiter was very polite introducing herself.

Interview Questions

Their lack of organization is unfortunately noticeable based on the delay in the email responses, the sense of urgency (or perhaps desperation) to fill this role, and last but not least, the failure to follow up and confirm an actual phone interview time. Additionally, the job listing itself clearly stated that the role would be a contract position - which was a concern but I remained optimistic - but I was very surprised to find out that this role would only last no more than 3 months. I had inquired if there was a possibility a role like this would be converted - mainly because a growing company like Stella & Dot needs it - and I was gracefully disappointed to find that that wouldn't be the case for the role I applied for.

I was advised to think about the position for a while and when I would come to my decision, to let the recruiter know by the end of the week (by email) if I wanted to pursue it further or not.

It didn't take me a few days to decide, I sent her an email graciously thanking her for her time and that I no longer wanted to be considered for the role, and to wish her luck in finding the right person for the job.

I was very concerned with how everything (even down to how the role itself was temporary) panned out with this interview. That and the reviews I've read from the (non-stylist) employees were enough for me to not want to work for this company.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stella & Dot in June 2014.

I had an initial phone screening with HR, followed two days later with a phone call with the hiring director (which I initiated). About two weeks later, I went into the office to meet the hiring director along with three other VPs (I also initiated the visit). Everyone was very friendly and upbeat, the interviews were very conversational, and I left with a good feeling. However, almost three weeks later and I still have not heard back from anyone I spoke with. I've sent multiple follow-up emails and a voice message, with no response. I find this very unprofessional.

Inventory Planner/Inventory Planning Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Stella & Dot.

I applied for inventory planner position online, and received a call from the HR- recruiter within few days to talk about past experiences and discuss the available role. Phone screening was the first step in the recruiting process, candidates selected after this would be meeting the team for a more operations related interview. There was no response from the recruiter after the call. I was wondering if it was the salary expectation that limited them.

Inventory Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stella & Dot in March 2014.

Probably one of the worst interview experiences I have ever had - incredibly disorganized and unprofessional experience. It was clear from the intial interview that they were desperate to fill the position, and made this clear during the process. The sole reason I declined the offer is because of the reviews posted on Glassdoor - I would have been miserable there.

Warehouse Team Member Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Stella & Dot.

Went through a temp service. We had a group interview which went over really well.

Interview Questions
    They called me and I accepted

Sales Associate Interview

This is a perfect opportunity for stay at home moms to blossom in both the home and a career, while having fun at the same time. The hiring process was very seemless and the tiered team approach is wonderful.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stella & Dot.

I had a phone interview and an in-person interview. People were very nice. Space is open (no cubes) and bright.

Counter offer at current company.