Sterling Jewelers Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

2.4

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

They hire almost anybody.The district managers are of extremely poor quality. They talk you down, they answer questions with questions. They do now put any positive input into the career.

Retail Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in May 2015.

Interview

It wasn't too bad, the guy whom I interviewed with was nice, but unlike other interviews for this company where I read that it was more of a conversation, mine was not like that. Most of the questions were the normal questions you would expect. Overall, good experience, I would interview again.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

The interview was a brutal one hour review of sales that did not relate to any other positions I have had before. I might get a position with this company if they have something available. There are not many jewelry stores hiring and this fits in what I want to do for a living, kind of disappointed. Why hire people who have no interest working with jewelry?

Interview Questions

• If you have worked in retail before, what is your sales product goals, sales per hour, etc?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Three interviews with different levels of management. They all ask you the same questions over and over again, so be prepared to repeat yourself numerous times. Make the job your own and the job is sure to be yours. Even if you know nothing about the business, they are still willing to work with you.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

Online application process is quick, and gives you an idea of what a day in the life of a sales associate means at Sterling Jewelers. Process takes roughly an hour to complete. You can select up to 5 store locations that you would like to work at, or select a specific store if you have been referred. With or without Jewelery experience, the online application process is easy, and gives a job seeker a good idea of what it means to be part of the sterling Jewelers sales team. I was contacted within 48 hours upon completion of my application to come in for an interview, and my first day of work started the following week!

Interview Questions

• What do you consider to be late for work?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Negotiation was not necessary.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

the process it to long now was better before. when i interviewed the process only took about two days but now it takes weeks , The first part being only on line is quite stand off . no personal interaction .

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

Basic customer service questions. They like for you to be outgoing/have a pretty strong but flexible personality to show ability to sell and work with people well. You need to be flexible with hours as well- expect to work weekends because that's when you make money.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

Currently there is an online test that you take pre-interview to get screened out and to preview the job responsibility's.
    At the interview stage the usual psychological questions for sales. How would you respond in an escalated customer service situation. How well do you take rejection and overcome "No".
    They may interview you 2-3 times at different locations.

Interview Questions

• they may make you "sell" them a pen, or talk about the charity be really excited.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, it is what it is.

Recovery Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers (Akron, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

Such a long process! I had two phone interviews, in person, hr meeting, drug and background test, second in person interview and then the last phone call where they let you know if you got the job or not. I was told throughout the interview process I would start at a higher pay rate due to my experience but when I was offered the job it was the minimum. I took the job, lasted for a week and quit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate pay but they were stern.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairlawn, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers (Fairlawn, OH) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on their website and was called the next day. They asked me about my customer service and collections experience, and then was offered an interview at their headquarters. The recruiter also essentially asked me to give them all of the information from my resume over the phone, which I found strange.

When I arrived at the interview, there was a lot of confusion as to which side of the building was the main entrance and how to get through the doors. They gave me very poor instructions for getting past their partially-automated security, and an incorrect name for the interviewer, which made it difficult to print the badge required to enter the building. My interviewer was very nice, and I noted that the employees were allowed to dress in casual-wear. The interviewer explained that their collections department is split into 3 groups--30 days, 60 days and 90 days, with pay at $11/hr in the 30-day group and 12.83 in the 90-day group. She also mentioned some healthy team competitions and games which actually sounded pretty fun!

The interview went well, and I was asked if I would like to move forward with a second interview while there. I agreed, and was directed to another building to meet with a different interviewer. I was also given the wrong name for the second interviewer, but it didn't cause a problem at the 2nd building since I already had a badge printed. In the 2nd interview, I was asked about ethical concerns--drug & alcohol usage, employment history/reasons for leaving, what your managers would say about you, criminal history, driving record, etc. Despite the fact that this is not a driving role, driving record (at-fault accidents and frequent speeding tickets) does affect your eligibility for this position. I wish I'd been given that information up front, but the interviewer told me to attempt the background check and drug test anyway. Then, they sent me another ethics quiz and a job emulator/skills test that together took another hour. They said their background checks take around 2 weeks, and it's only been a few days, so I haven't heard back yet. All of this is WITHOUT an official offer, so recognize that you have some hoops to jump through with no guarantees.

Sterling seems like a nice place to work with decent benefits, but they need to work out the kinks in their interview process so they don't come off as disorganized to good applicants. Both interviewers seemed as nervous as I was, and probably got short notice that they would be conducting interviews. Someone even commented on it in the elevator... that said, from the outside, it seems like a place with high goals but nice perks for good workers.

Interview Questions

• Name 5 qualities of your ideal job, a few "tell me about a time when..." STAR questions.   1 Answer