Sterling Jewelers

Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Representative Interview

Account Representative
Fairlawn, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on their website and was called the next day. They asked me about my customer service and collections experience, and then was offered an interview at their headquarters. The recruiter also essentially asked me to give them all of the information from my resume over the phone, which I found strange.

When I arrived at the interview, there was a lot of confusion as to which side of the building was the main entrance and how to get through the doors. They gave me very poor instructions for getting past their partially-automated security, and an incorrect name for the interviewer, which made it difficult to print the badge required to enter the building. My interviewer was very nice, and I noted that the employees were allowed to dress in casual-wear. The interviewer explained that their collections department is split into 3 groups--30 days, 60 days and 90 days, with pay at $11/hr in the 30-day group and 12.83 in the 90-day group. She also mentioned some healthy team competitions and games which actually sounded pretty fun!

The interview went well, and I was asked if I would like to move forward with a second interview while there. I agreed, and was directed to another building to meet with a different interviewer. I was also given the wrong name for the second interviewer, but it didn't cause a problem at the 2nd building since I already had a badge printed. In the 2nd interview, I was asked about ethical concerns--drug & alcohol usage, employment history/reasons for leaving, what your managers would say about you, criminal history, driving record, etc. Despite the fact that this is not a driving role, driving record (at-fault accidents and frequent speeding tickets) does affect your eligibility for this position. I wish I'd been given that information up front, but the interviewer told me to attempt the background check and drug test anyway. Then, they sent me another ethics quiz and a job emulator/skills test that together took another hour. They said their background checks take around 2 weeks, and it's only been a few days, so I haven't heard back yet. All of this is WITHOUT an official offer, so recognize that you have some hoops to jump through with no guarantees.

Sterling seems like a nice place to work with decent benefits, but they need to work out the kinks in their interview process so they don't come off as disorganized to good applicants. Both interviewers seemed as nervous as I was, and probably got short notice that they would be conducting interviews. Someone even commented on it in the elevator... that said, from the outside, it seems like a place with high goals but nice perks for good workers.

Interview Question – Name 5 qualities of your ideal job, a few "tell me about a time when..." STAR questions.   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
South Burlington, VT

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in October 2013.

Interview Details – I posted my interest in promotion several years ago. I have been contacted several times with the request to move which was mutually decided to be a poor choice for me. When my own location opened up, I interviewed three times over the phone. Once with my district manager and twice with my Regional Vice President. My VP asked me to put together a growth plan should I be given the position. I wrote out a three page action plan, it was reviewed and I was asked to adjust it on several points.

Interview Question – Most unexpected was "What does it take to work for you?" She was asking where my passions lay as a manager to a team of 10 to 15 people. She wanted to know what my non negotiable were and where I placed my personal focus.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was one offer given and it exceeded my expectation. I was in a knowledgeable position regarding my peer's salary and would not have been given a second offer had I negotiated for more.

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred by an associate who felt I would be a great fit. I gave her my information and the manager called me within days. We set up the interview. I had to take an assessment test. Within a month I had the job.

Interview Question – why do you want to work here.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Rotterdam, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in June 2013.

Interview Details – There is a long online application process. It takes an hour to fill everything out. Need at least 5 legitimate references, and at least 3 years of high end retail experience. There is an easy assessment test, 2 interviews with two different managers and your hired.

Interview Question – None, your typical run of the mill questions, like sell this pen...   Answer Question

Full Time Sales Interview

Full Time Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – Will call you for an interview, and you will go through a 1st and 2nd interview, then for your 3rd interview you will meet with the district manager wherever they are that day in the district, and you could drive up to 2 hours for your interview.

Interview Question – You will have to sell the district manager something, either a pen or another nearby object.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, they use a pay calculator based on your experience and sales performance if applicable

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – You have to take an online test, after awhile you do a quick phone convo and the a one on one interview, be prepared to try and sell anything(pen, stapler). A possible second interview after that.

Interview Question – just try to be honest and do research so you can ask questions as well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they calculate your pay by experience and other factors more knowledge more pay.

Salt Lake City, UT

Interviewed at Sterling Jewelers

Interview Details – They give you two interviews. The second one you will be asked to sell a pen.

Interview Question – Asked to sell a pen to the interviewer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do a wage engine you have no say.

Vice President Interview

Vice President

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – Background check, drug screening, honesty screening

Interview Question – Would you steal in order to fund drugs necessary for the care of your close relative, and pay back when you had the opportunity?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be reasonable and be willing to walk away

Kent, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in May 2011.

Interview Details – After filling out application I was called in for an interview right away.

Interview Question – Standard questions, nothing difficult or unexpected for the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They use a wage calculator.

Bill of Goods Interview

Bill of Goods

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – The online application process is very slick and is, so far, the most impressive part of the company. The interview was a standard issue two step interview. The interview seemed to indicate this company gave an above average potential to make money among other hourly wage jobs.
Expect to give detailed answers!

Interview Question – -What was the achievement in your life in which you were most proud?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Wages are determined by a wage generating software program which, in no way, assigns a decent wage in relation to one's experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sterling Jewelers

Worked for Sterling Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!