Sterling Jewelers

Updated Nov 2, 2014
Updated Nov 2, 2014

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Online application process is quick, and gives you an idea of what a day in the life of a sales associate means at Sterling Jewelers. Process takes roughly an hour to complete. You can select up to 5 store locations that you would like to work at, or select a specific store if you have been referred. With or without Jewelery experience, the online application process is easy, and gives a job seeker a good idea of what it means to be part of the sterling Jewelers sales team. I was contacted within 48 hours upon completion of my application to come in for an interview, and my first day of work started the following week!

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider to be late for work?   View Answer
    Negotiation was not necessary.

Store Manager Interview

the process it to long now was better before. when i interviewed the process only took about two days but now it takes weeks , The first part being only on line is quite stand off . no personal interaction .

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Basic customer service questions. They like for you to be outgoing/have a pretty strong but flexible personality to show ability to sell and work with people well. You need to be flexible with hours as well- expect to work weekends because that's when you make money.

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Currently there is an online test that you take pre-interview to get screened out and to preview the job responsibility's.
    At the interview stage the usual psychological questions for sales. How would you respond in an escalated customer service situation. How well do you take rejection and overcome "No".
    They may interview you 2-3 times at different locations.

Interview Questions
    • they may make you "sell" them a pen, or talk about the charity be really excited.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it is what it is.

Recovery Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in September 2014.

Such a long process! I had two phone interviews, in person, hr meeting, drug and background test, second in person interview and then the last phone call where they let you know if you got the job or not. I was told throughout the interview process I would start at a higher pay rate due to my experience but when I was offered the job it was the minimum. I took the job, lasted for a week and quit.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate pay but they were stern.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairlawn, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairlawn, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in June 2014.

I applied on their website and was called the next day. They asked me about my customer service and collections experience, and then was offered an interview at their headquarters. The recruiter also essentially asked me to give them all of the information from my resume over the phone, which I found strange.

When I arrived at the interview, there was a lot of confusion as to which side of the building was the main entrance and how to get through the doors. They gave me very poor instructions for getting past their partially-automated security, and an incorrect name for the interviewer, which made it difficult to print the badge required to enter the building. My interviewer was very nice, and I noted that the employees were allowed to dress in casual-wear. The interviewer explained that their collections department is split into 3 groups--30 days, 60 days and 90 days, with pay at $11/hr in the 30-day group and 12.83 in the 90-day group. She also mentioned some healthy team competitions and games which actually sounded pretty fun!

The interview went well, and I was asked if I would like to move forward with a second interview while there. I agreed, and was directed to another building to meet with a different interviewer. I was also given the wrong name for the second interviewer, but it didn't cause a problem at the 2nd building since I already had a badge printed. In the 2nd interview, I was asked about ethical concerns--drug & alcohol usage, employment history/reasons for leaving, what your managers would say about you, criminal history, driving record, etc. Despite the fact that this is not a driving role, driving record (at-fault accidents and frequent speeding tickets) does affect your eligibility for this position. I wish I'd been given that information up front, but the interviewer told me to attempt the background check and drug test anyway. Then, they sent me another ethics quiz and a job emulator/skills test that together took another hour. They said their background checks take around 2 weeks, and it's only been a few days, so I haven't heard back yet. All of this is WITHOUT an official offer, so recognize that you have some hoops to jump through with no guarantees.

Sterling seems like a nice place to work with decent benefits, but they need to work out the kinks in their interview process so they don't come off as disorganized to good applicants. Both interviewers seemed as nervous as I was, and probably got short notice that they would be conducting interviews. Someone even commented on it in the elevator... that said, from the outside, it seems like a place with high goals but nice perks for good workers.

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 qualities of your ideal job, a few "tell me about a time when..." STAR questions.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in June 2014.

Had face to face interview which took about 20 minutes, about an hour after I left I received a phone call that I was going to be setting up a 2nd interview which was a phone interview. The phone interview took about 15 minutes or less.

Full Time Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Will call you for an interview, and you will go through a 1st and 2nd interview, then for your 3rd interview you will meet with the district manager wherever they are that day in the district, and you could drive up to 2 hours for your interview.

Interview Questions
    • You will have to sell the district manager something, either a pen or another nearby object.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, they use a pay calculator based on your experience and sales performance if applicable

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

You have to take an online test, after awhile you do a quick phone convo and the a one on one interview, be prepared to try and sell anything(pen, stapler). A possible second interview after that.

Interview Questions
    • just try to be honest and do research so you can ask questions as well.   Answer Question
    they calculate your pay by experience and other factors more knowledge more pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

They give you two interviews. The second one you will be asked to sell a pen.

Interview Questions
    They do a wage engine you have no say.