Sterling Jewelers

53 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salt Lake City, UT

Interviewed at Sterling Jewelers

Interview Details – They give you two interviews. The second one you will be asked to sell a pen.

Interview Question – Asked to sell a pen to the interviewer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do a wage engine you have no say.

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – Background check, drug screening, honesty screening

Interview Question – Would you steal in order to fund drugs necessary for the care of your close relative, and pay back when you had the opportunity?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be reasonable and be willing to walk away

Kent, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in May 2011.

Interview Details – After filling out application I was called in for an interview right away.

Interview Question – Standard questions, nothing difficult or unexpected for the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They use a wage calculator.

Bill of Goods Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – The online application process is very slick and is, so far, the most impressive part of the company. The interview was a standard issue two step interview. The interview seemed to indicate this company gave an above average potential to make money among other hourly wage jobs.
Expect to give detailed answers!

Interview Question – -What was the achievement in your life in which you were most proud?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Wages are determined by a wage generating software program which, in no way, assigns a decent wage in relation to one's experience.

Interviewed at Sterling Jewelers

Interview Details – Application. Minimum 2 interviews. Testing, background and credit check.

Interview Question – Prove you can sell.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They offer what they have on a list and you accept or decline.

Jefferson City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in August 2012.

Interview Details – I had just moved to the area and was looking for jobs. I walked to several stores in the mall dropping off resumes and Kay Jewelers was one of them and that was when I met the store manager, although he did not announce himself as a manager. He gave me a call within 2 weeks and set up an interview for the following week with his assistant manager. It was the assistant manager's first interview and she had a checklist of questions and follow-up questions. Following that interview I was given an interview with the district manager a week later who makes a habit of speaking to all potential new hires. They were all very kind and specific about what they needed from me. They also showed a lot of pride in the company.

Interview Question – I was asked to role play a sales pitch of a pen that the district manager had in his pocket. He then gave me some pointers and asked me to do it again. It served 2 purposes, seeing my ability as a salesman and also my ability to implement new information.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for a hourly position with no specific jewelry sales experience.

IT Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Sterling Jewelers

Interview Details – HR staff was uncomfortable to be around. She had a grimace on her face the whole time.

Negotiation Details – Prepare to be turned down. Ask for more vacation time.

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in October 2012.

Interview Details – I received offers to interview from two different locations: a Kay store and a Jared the Galleria of Jewelry. I interviewed with both and subsequently chose Jared.

First, I met with the store manager of Kay. We interviewed in the food court of the mall and the interview went well. Upon returning back to the store, a customer was talking to a sales associate and an assistant manager. After leaving, the assistant manager and the associate began making fun of the gentleman. This left a bad taste in my mouth.

At Jared, I was amazed by the store! I met with the manager, a seasoned vet, who told me the earning potential I could reach and explained why, given my background, Jared was the place for me. After the interview, I left and he said he'd be in touch.

He called a couple of days later and invited me back in to meet with his diamond department manager. Upon arrival, I only met with him. He offered me the job on the spot and told me he'd call me with my pay rate.

A couple more days passed and I got a call letting me know my payrate and the date I would start.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected considering I'd worked in sales before. Basic things like:
"Tell me about your biggest sale"
"What is your experience building a client base"
, etc.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My payrate was exceptional; I know it's far more than the starting average (even above those who had jewelry experience, which I did not). I didn't need to negotiate.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – Applied in store with a referral from one of the sales associates (they get a referral bonus - $50). Got a call within 2 weeks for an interview. Got interviewed by one manager on the floor and then took a test (to see if you'd steal ect.) and got the job.

Interview Question – How would you sell this (ring) to me?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I should have asked for more.

Very Easy Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview Details – 4 basic interviews about your sales back round and what your goals are as sales person.

Interview Question – All questions are pretty basic   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay was way to low for what i was making before

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sterling Jewelers

Worked for Sterling Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!

Sterling Jewelers Videos

Sterling Jewelers – Why Work for Us?

There's a sparkle that comes from each one of us. Something special that commands attention. And in the right environment, we can shine. As the largest retail jeweler in the country - with respected names like Kay… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sterling Jewelers interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sterling Jewelers employees and interview candidates.