Sterling Jewelers Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

Basic customer service questions. They like for you to be outgoing/have a pretty strong but flexible personality to show ability to sell and work with people well. You need to be flexible with hours as well- expect to work weekends because that's when you make money.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

Currently there is an online test that you take pre-interview to get screened out and to preview the job responsibility's. At the interview stage the usual psychological questions for sales. How would you respond in an escalated customer service situation. How well do you take rejection and overcome "No". They may interview you 2-3 times at different locations.

Interview Questions

• they may make you "sell" them a pen, or talk about the charity be really excited.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, it is what it is.

Recovery Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers (Akron, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

Such a long process! I had two phone interviews, in person, hr meeting, drug and background test, second in person interview and then the last phone call where they let you know if you got the job or not. I was told throughout the interview process I would start at a higher pay rate due to my experience but when I was offered the job it was the minimum. I took the job, lasted for a week and quit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate pay but they were stern.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in July 2014.

Interview

Easy and relaxed. Apply online and do 45 min assessment. Got a phone call from Store Manager with in a week and set up an interview. Was comfortable and went well. Was told I pretty much had the job but her Assistant needed to interview me as well. Set up a following one with Asst Manager a few days later. Was called about a week later with an official job over and pay rate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Kay Jewelers?   1 Answer

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairlawn, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers (Fairlawn, OH) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on their website and was called the next day. They asked me about my customer service and collections experience, and then was offered an interview at their headquarters. The recruiter also essentially asked me to give them all of the information from my resume over the phone, which I found strange. When I arrived at the interview, there was a lot of confusion as to which side of the building was the main entrance and how to get through the doors. They gave me very poor instructions for getting past their partially-automated security, and an incorrect name for the interviewer, which made it difficult to print the badge required to enter the building. My interviewer was very nice, and I noted that the employees were allowed to dress in casual-wear. The interviewer explained that their collections department is split into 3 groups--30 days, 60 days and 90 days, with pay at $11/hr in the 30-day group and 12.83 in the 90-day group. She also mentioned some healthy team competitions and games which actually sounded pretty fun! The interview went well, and I was asked if I would like to move forward with a second interview while there. I agreed, and was directed to another building to meet with a different interviewer. I was also given the wrong name for the second interviewer, but it didn't cause a problem at the 2nd building since I already had a badge printed. In the 2nd interview, I was asked about ethical concerns--drug & alcohol usage, employment history/reasons for leaving, what your managers would say about you, criminal history, driving record, etc. Despite the fact that this is not a driving role, driving record (at-fault accidents and frequent speeding tickets) does affect your eligibility for this position. I wish I'd been given that information up front, but the interviewer told me to attempt the background check and drug test anyway. Then, they sent me another ethics quiz and a job emulator/skills test that together took another hour. They said their background checks take around 2 weeks, and it's only been a few days, so I haven't heard back yet. All of this is WITHOUT an official offer, so recognize that you have some hoops to jump through with no guarantees. Sterling seems like a nice place to work with decent benefits, but they need to work out the kinks in their interview process so they don't come off as disorganized to good applicants. Both interviewers seemed as nervous as I was, and probably got short notice that they would be conducting interviews. Someone even commented on it in the elevator... that said, from the outside, it seems like a place with high goals but nice perks for good workers.

Interview Questions

• Name 5 qualities of your ideal job, a few "tell me about a time when..." STAR questions.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in June 2014.

Interview

Had face to face interview which took about 20 minutes, about an hour after I left I received a phone call that I was going to be setting up a 2nd interview which was a phone interview. The phone interview took about 15 minutes or less.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lockport, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers (Lockport, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Very informal, although the company does provide a formal way of conducting it. Every manager is going to have a different style. Some ask you to bring a resume, some don't. Some interview based on the company questions and then probe deeper, some ask the company questions and seem to receive nothing out of it. Some people also don't ask company questions at all and sometimes even already have someone in mind. Typical stuff.

Interview Questions

• Difficult time this, challenge that, etc. Basic   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, KY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers (Florence, KY) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty average. There was a two round interview, one being with the store manager, and another with the district manager. The process took a little too long to hear back.

Full Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

Will call you for an interview, and you will go through a 1st and 2nd interview, then for your 3rd interview you will meet with the district manager wherever they are that day in the district, and you could drive up to 2 hours for your interview.

Interview Questions

• You will have to sell the district manager something, either a pen or another nearby object.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, they use a pay calculator based on your experience and sales performance if applicable

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview

You have to take an online test, after awhile you do a quick phone convo and the a one on one interview, be prepared to try and sell anything(pen, stapler). A possible second interview after that.

Interview Questions

• just try to be honest and do research so you can ask questions as well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

they calculate your pay by experience and other factors more knowledge more pay.