Sterling Jewelers

Updated Nov 2, 2014
Updated Nov 2, 2014

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

The interview was a positive experience. Though I worked for the company prior to the interview the manager wanted to do a one on one formal interview to get to know me as an individual. I was asked the basic questions of what I knew about the company, specific things I enjoyed and didn't enjoyed about the job, If I wanted to move up in the company and how long I planned on working with the company if hired. I was asked how I would deal with certain personalities and scenarios. What customer service means to me.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't feel any of the questions were difficult. Though when I was considered to be rehired, I again had to take a 2 part test which had randomized questions on it. I assumed it's a personality/common sense test. Not sure if they still give theses tests out now.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spotsylvania, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spotsylvania, VA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Is a joke. The manager that interviewed me told me he forgot about the interview because he had a hangover.

There was none.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in July 2013.

Work and office culture seemed very well put together. Interview process was professional and well organized.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult case you have had to deal with at a previous employer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Sterling Jewelers in July 2013.

long interview done bye 2 people most time manager and assistant manager. Questions about times you were put in difficult situations

talk about benifits

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

Interview process was easy. It was a series of 2 interviews at different Kay locations. First interview consisted of standard questions, what is your background, how would you respond in this situation, that sort of thing. Pretty straight forward. If you be yourself, you will be fine. Very informal and relaxed, usually with an assistant manager.
    Second interview is usually with the manager. Also, very easy, standard. More questions are asked about your past job experiences, and how they will transfer to Sterling. Be yourself, be comfortable will selling, and you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They use a computer program to decide your hourly wage. I took a pay cut to work for Sterling.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in June 2013.

There is a long online application process. It takes an hour to fill everything out. Need at least 5 legitimate references, and at least 3 years of high end retail experience. There is an easy assessment test, 2 interviews with two different managers and your hired.

Interview Questions
    • None, your typical run of the mill questions, like sell this pen...   Answer Question

Kay Jeweelers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabethtown, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabethtown, KY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in April 2013.

Called, interviewed, discussed qualifications, accepted, started working.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers.

The company don't stand behind the employees, when it involve one of the general or upper managers.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are just unnecessary difficult, the manager loves to intimidate his canidates.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in October 2012.

I received offers to interview from two different locations: a Kay store and a Jared the Galleria of Jewelry. I interviewed with both and subsequently chose Jared.

First, I met with the store manager of Kay. We interviewed in the food court of the mall and the interview went well. Upon returning back to the store, a customer was talking to a sales associate and an assistant manager. After leaving, the assistant manager and the associate began making fun of the gentleman. This left a bad taste in my mouth.

At Jared, I was amazed by the store! I met with the manager, a seasoned vet, who told me the earning potential I could reach and explained why, given my background, Jared was the place for me. After the interview, I left and he said he'd be in touch.

He called a couple of days later and invited me back in to meet with his diamond department manager. Upon arrival, I only met with him. He offered me the job on the spot and told me he'd call me with my pay rate.

A couple more days passed and I got a call letting me know my payrate and the date I would start.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected considering I'd worked in sales before. Basic things like:
      "Tell me about your biggest sale"
      "What is your experience building a client base"
      , etc.

Answer Question
    My payrate was exceptional; I know it's far more than the starting average (even above those who had jewelry experience, which I did not). I didn't need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sterling Jewelers in September 2012.

I applied online to both a JBR and Kay's stores in the same area. The next day I received a phone call from the managers from each of the stores, looking to set up an interview.

The first was JBR. It was extremely comfortable, and felt more like a conversation about sales and retail instead of just an interview where I was getting drilled. We ended up talking for over an hour, and I was told I'd be called back for a second interview with the Kay's manager, pending I pass a couple online personality tests. I had an interview with Kay's set up for the next week.

The Kay's interview again felt more like a conversation, and only last about half an hour. I was told the beginning rate would probably be a lot lower than my current position, but they would put me on the "fast track" to becoming a manager, and I would probably be promoted within 6 months. A few days after the interview I was called in so they could make me an offer. i absolutely would have taken it - all of the employees I had met were amazing and spoke very highly of the company, but I just couldn't take the deep cut in pay from my current position so I had to decline.

One note, they absolutely promote from within, and everyone starts at the sales associate level which I think is great, but unfortunate for those who can't afford to live on that salary. I think this would be a great position for someone currently in school, or someone with sales experience and little responsibilities when it comes to bills. Knowing what I know now about the company, I wish I had looked into it a few years ago. Even though I didn't accept, I would highly recommend Sterling to others and I don't have anything negative to say about the company or interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Have proof of your prior sales experience   View Answer

I only declined because the pay rate was much lower than anticipated.