Sterling Publishing

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Freelance Copywriter Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Sterling Publishing in July 2010.

Interview Details – Received email from senior copywriter who was forwarded my resume from her boss, who earlier worked with me at another company. Offered me freelance assignment lasting four months. No questions, writing samples requested. When I got to job, found out that we were a poor match; I wrote dry, academic stuff, she wanted fluffly copy for craft and children's titles. I lasted out the job but it was hellish receiving her constant, berating emails about my writing style. She never criticized me in person; just froze me out. It really shook my confidence.

Interview Question – No questions asked at all. She hired me on the basis of my resume, which was accurate, even though it was a poor fit for the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – She quoted me $25 an hour. I said that was my minimum. She assumed I wanted more and told me she'd try to get me $30, which happened.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Sterling Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sterling Publishing Freelance Copywriter interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Sterling Publishing employees and interview candidates.