Stetson University

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Gulfport, FL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Stetson University in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was called and set up an appointment for an in-person intervene. I met with what would be my immediate supervisor. I was asked basic questions: tell me about yourself, your experience related to this job, where you see yourself in the future, what do you enjoy about this position. Then we chatted briefly as we got along well.

Interview Question – The questions were very simple and I didn't find any of them to be difficult. Maybe where I saw myself in the future, probably because I was still young and wasn't sure.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't. I asked if there was room for negotiation and they simply said no, the hiring rate was set and it was $13 / hr. I was also naive about negotiation

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor

Interviewed at Stetson University

Interview Details – Overall, my interviewing experience was pretty good and fairly typical. It was a multi-day visit consisting of research presentation, teaching demonstration, and miscellaneous meetings, meals & gatherings. Nothing was unusual with the visit itself, although there were many things which could have been improved and better organized. The visit went well, even if many of the events were poorly attended and the schedule changed frequently.

Unfortunately, the hiring process raised more questions than it answered. Many things, even at early stages, were non-negotiable, and I hesitate to provide details that ultimately might identify me or others. However, I can say that faculty, staff & administrators never seemed genuinely interested in me as an individual or as a future colleague. Moreover, I got the distinct impression that a hiring decision had been made prior to my visit. Finally, it became clear that politics were the order of the day: Many faculty seemed united in a common view of the political nature of the world in which they worked, and they seemed to be playing games with administrators, with each other, and with faculty candidates. I was shocked by many of the conversations I had as others as a candidate, and I left Deland quite literally shaking my head.

Parenthetically, a previous employee review suggests there are un-addressed ethical issues and that faculty are over-worked. I concur on both accounts. Not only was that a my own assessment after my visit (and before I read that review), it was confirmed in conversations with others afterwards. Suffice it to say, candidates should do their own research, talk to people in their networks, and keep their eyes & ears open.

In spite of the lukewarm reception, I liked the community, campus, students, staff and faculty. However, I dreaded the thought of working there.

Worked for Stetson University? Contribute to the Community!