Steven Madden Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.3

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steven Madden (Gurnee, IL).

Interview

Applied online on craigslist I believe as Steve Madden was seeking a Store Manager for a new location within Gurnee Mills. A store that hasn't yet even opened. So within a week of submitting my resume for consideration. I got a call from The District Manager and set up a face to face interview. Overall I felt way to Overqualified for the position as I have Managed way bigger companies and over 100 employees at one time. At Steve Madden its just a Store Manager and Assistant Manager and maybe 8 associates working for you. Plus it's not a salary position as SM is hourly which is a major draw back for myself. Most shoe stores the SM is a salary position look at DSW and Famous Footwear. Plus the money isn't that great at Steve Madden really on the low end. If your a hipster or really into the fashion world this jobs for you but if you want a real career in retail management seeking long term look else where like Target, BB&B, DSW or TJ-Maxx to name a few could give you a bright future. The funny thing during the interview as the DM stated that Steve Madden as a company just decided to open this new location and are scrambling to find a Store Manager as the opening date was near. That to me is just poor business planning. I would like to know who's idea that one was please call me so I can teach you about business planning. Maybe I'm better suited to work within a VP role LOL...

Interview Questions

• A lot of Questions were geared towards Customer Service and Sales type questions. Must know your P&L and sales like the back of your hand or you aren't going to make it.   Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Steven Madden (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Very nice and clear cut with what was expected of job position. Small dainty office in New York where all human resource papers were sent. I declined in the end because interviewer kept stressing the monotony of the job. Found that this was probably not the right place for me.
    However, the interviewers were really nice and understanding.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Steven Madden.

Interview

A friend referred me, I then filled out the online app. Next day had a 1:1 with the SM very general about my background and retail job at the time. Next day phone interview with the DM. More in depth management questions; very laid back. Next day, got the offer and accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steven Madden (Long Island City, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The hiring process included a brief phone conversation with a corporate HR representative and then an in-person interview at their headquarters. The interview consisted of one with the recruiter of the department I was interviewing for and another with the corporate HR representative I had spoken on the phone with earlier. They were extremely kind and the company is amazing!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Steven Madden.

Interview

If the store has not opened yet it will take place over the phone. Interviewer is very friendly and is looking for enthusiasm in your interview. Don't answer questions like "why did you choose Steve Madden?" With an answer like "because it's opening", you won't get the job. Be enthusiastic and know the product.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Hours are negotiable, however pay is not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Steven Madden (Woodbridge, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was very chill and laid back they are opening a new store in Virginia. The application was quick and easy hopefully this will be a great job

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Great

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Steven Madden (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got called the next day to go in for a group interview. It was just me and this other girl! I got called within 15 minutes of the interview that I was hired!

Interview Questions

• sell something you are wearing   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steven Madden (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred to the company through a friend and was told to apply online. Within two weeks I received a call from the manager asking me to come in for an interview.

Na Interview

Interview

We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steven Madden (Ontario, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Group interview had girls wait in lobby and answer basic retail questions. Dress to impress and make sure to show off your sense of style. Smile and be confident in yourself.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer?   1 Answer