Stockamp & Associates

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Portland, OR

The process took a day - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in October 2008.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of general questions that one can see from most other personal HR interviews. My initial communications was merely through a appointment that came through a job fair. Appointments were setup shortly after the initial application was sent. Communication was clear, punctual, and all employees were were very professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you experienced a hardship, and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question
  • Have you experience a conflict in the workplace, and if so--how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
  • How would you describe yourself?   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in for a 30 min behavioral interview at first. This interview consisted of your classic behavioral questions such as "tell me a time when you accepted losses to continue a project..." I made sure to give precise and detailed explanations of the situations I had been in for each of these questions. Overall this process went smoothly.

I was called the next night to return the following morning to conduct a full on 2 hour follow up interview. This interview consisted of a technical and a case study session. The case study session came first and involved the interviewer asking questions based on a scenario. The technical asked questions mainly concerned with SQL, databases and networking/IT. After this process I was called 3 days later to inform that I had passed unto the next round which will consist of them flying me down to Portland for a full day engagement.

Interview Question – Client is in charge of a medical wing in the hospital. The client wants to know why their patients are waiting for long periods of time to receive treatment. How can you go about finding out the information necessary to understand this issue?   View Answer

Portland, OR

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in October 2009.

Interview Details – Stockamp came to campus to recruit at my university. I spoke with them at the career fair, then went to an information session. Interviews were a week or two later. The first day of interviews was one 45 minute interview with a recruiter and was mostly a behavioral interview. He asked a few "Tell me about a time when..." questions where he wanted to see how you had dealt with problems in the past or gone the extra mile. These questions gave an opportunity to talk about your work experience.

They then selected some people to move on the the second round of interviews the next day. The second round consisted of completing a math problem and a SQL problem (writing SQL code), and then two interviews: a technical interview and a case study. In the technical interview, the questions were fairly open-ended, and allowed you to demonstrate your technical knowledge. I found it somewhat difficult to know if what I answered was what he was looking for as the questions were so open. The case study was pretty intense. The interviewer read a paragraph describing a business scenario, and then asked questions about what information you would need to gather, how would you present this information to the business, etc. They wanted to test your critical thinking skills, and kept pushing for you to think of more ideas when you thought you had answered the question adequately.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you missed a deadline.   Answer Question

Analyst

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was a best case scenario (when coming to interviews). Although it did take weeks to get through all of the interviews, each person I met and spoke to throughout the process was friendly and considerate and it felt like each person wanted me to succeed.
1st round was on the phone. Felt more like a screening and just gauging whether I was personable and educated enough for the position
2nd round was in person. I went to their company site and I sat down for a behavioral (45 min) and case study (45 min) interview. the case study was typical where they asked a question and wanted to me to discuss how I would reach a conclusion and a answer.
3rd round is at an active project site where they introduce you to current leaders and colleagues and then they let you know about a full time employment offer a week after.

Interview Question – Why is healthcare consulting something you want to do?   View Answer

Lake Oswego, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in November 2009.

Interview Details – On-campus recruiter performed a behavioral interview on campus. Standard questions such as tell me about a time when...(solved a problem, worked with a difficult person, etc.). Recruiter called me that night to schedule Case/Tech interview for the next day.
Tech interview - database, networking, server, and OS questions (not "what is the answer to this tech question", but "describe your experience with...")
Case interview - Recruiter walked me through a fictional case in which I had to gather requirements, problem solve, and present solutions for a hospital emergency room. Recruiter constantly asked "What else?" every time I gave an answer, which made me think I was missing something even if that wasn't the case.

Scheduled on-site visit for a couple weeks later. They made it sound like the job was pretty much mine. Product/tools introduction from a team lead, lunch with two analysts or associates, interview with a manager.

Product/tools intro - they made this sound like more of a training than anything else. Most of the time spent was listening to how things work, but there were two ridiculous problem solving questions that apparently lost me the job.

Manager Interview - mostly they were gauging my interest in the company (which was very high), goals, some resume clarification questions, etc...

Two days after getting home from the trip, they called and said I wasn't good enough in the problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Problem Solving #2 - You have 3 light switches and 1 light bulb controlled by only 1 switch in a room you can't see into. You can flip any or as many switches as you want and can check the room once. The next time you go into the room, you have to know for sure which switch controls the light bulb.   View Answers (2)
  • Problem Solving #1 - Given a 5 gallon bucket and a 3 gallon bucket with no measures. Measure exactly 4 gallons.   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Developer Interview

Developer
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in January 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process involved three main steps. The first was a behavioral interview. The second was a technical interview. The third interview was an on-site process in which potential project managers and fellow staff discussed a case study and to see whether or not the candidate was a good fit for the team and the company.

Interview Question – What is your most difficult experience?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in June 2007.

Interview Details – The first step was a basic phone interview. After a couple of weeks, I was invited to a client site for a series of 1:1 interviews. The final step consisted of another visit to a different site and interviews with members of leadership.

The mistake I made was not having enough experience/knowledge of healthcare consulting, specifically, as opposed to consulting in general. They want candidates who are passionate not only about business consulting, but the healthcare industry.

Other than that, the interviews went really well. The people are friendly and the questions are pretty generic. Come prepared with a lot of questions for your interviewees because you will talk to at least 5 different people.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in Stockamp over other healthcare consulting companies?   View Answer

Product Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in November 2010.

Interview Details – The 2nd round interview consisted of two phases: technical interview, and case interview. You had to get there early to do a SQL and Math problem which was reviewed during the two interviews. Pretty intense, I've never seen that before.

Interview Question – I can't remember it exactly, but there was questions about Local Area Networks (networks in general), normalization (stay updated on what it is), and different experience with software.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of one 30 minute phone interview to dtermine if there is a initally a fit. The interviewer was relatively unprofessional in that he harangued me about why I thought it had taken so long for me to get a job. After explaining to him the numerous reasons and the current state of the economy, which he apparently was unaware of, he commenced to talking about the position. When he had finished his spiel, he asked what I thought abou the position. His explanation was thoroughly confusing and this was evidenced by the fact that the remaining interviewers did not have a clear understanding either, which I will get to. It really begs the question of whether the company knows where it is headed. The business analyst position basically works between two departments, Implementation and Support, with no clear boundary on how much you support either side. At some point in your career, a business analyst would move in one of these directions, to either work on the implementation team or the support team. When he asked what I thought I relayed that either was fine, but if I had a choice for my future, I would choose to head in the implementation direction since it was what I am used to. He was not happy by this response and proceeded to say that if I wanted to get the interview he recommended not giving the direction I wanted to head since it wasnt up to me. The company is very conservative and you must be very passionate about being a business analyst and not so much about healthcare or any of the industries Stockamp supports. You also should not display a forward thinking attitude or have aspirations. Do not think of where you want to be down the road, because that's not what they want to hear. The company has many employees who have been there for many years, and this creates its own set of problems, but basically, in my opnion, they want sheep for employees. "A team of rivals," they do not want.

After finally getting through the phone interview, a few days later I got a call to come in for the three hour face-to-face interview. This consisted of three separate interviews, each an hour long and each with different people. The first was with an interviewer who came in with another worker that didnt say two words. That person's only job was to transcribe the entire interview. He typed the entire time. This particular interview was behavioral questions. They were mostly situational. For example, describe a time when you faced a particularly tough problem, what was the problem, and how did you solve it. There are about 10 of these questions, maybe less, but they are standard and relatively easy to answer for anyone that has been in the workforce for any amount of time.

The second interview is with a person on the technical side and he asks some questions of you regarding a technical nature. these are not overly difficult questions, but not ones that the average computer user would know. For example, how would you describe what an I.P. address is in laymans terms? Also, what is a SAN? In addition, there was a SQL problem in which they asked you to write a staement for the problem. My question was to join two tables.

The third interview was more of a interview to examine your thought processes. The interviewer tells you a situation in which a hospital administrator wants to improve wait times in his emergency room. The interviewer asks to hear what questions and solutions you have for the adminstrator to see how you would solve his probelm efficiently and effectively and your thought processes as to how you would go about this. An example of a question I gave was to ask the administrator why, first and foremost, this is a concern, and then ask many questions related to his information as it pertains to competitors, perception, etc, etc., or whgat data he is using. Ask the hospital staff what they think about wait times etc., etc. For people who have done business process analysis or project management before, this will be easy. At the end, there is a simple math problem about percentages to do requiring a calculation. It is only one problem that takes about 5 minutes.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, but the toughest part would be to brush up on simple technicals skills like basic SQL for the second, technical interview.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stockamp & Associates in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was given an HR contact who was polite and efficient. Very communicative. She administered an initial phone interview/screening. I was then asked to fly to Atlanta for an in-person interview. This consisted of two interviews, a case study and a slew of behavioral questions.

I was flown to Atlanta early morning and picked up by a car with several other candidates and shuttled to the office. The driver for the car was in such a hurry I couldn't even make a quick bathroom run.

The office was underwhelming. All candidates were dressed professionally, but the host looked like he just came out of the mall with an oversized FUBU sweater and faded pants. Both interviewers were very professional, but more on the robot side than consulting professionals.

The behavioral interview was done by someone only a couple years older than me and barely made eye contact. She spent the whole time typing my every word on her laptop. The case study was done by a gentleman who had a sour demeanor and really didn't seem to have any interest in interviewing me whatsoever. Maybe this was a test to see how I did with difficult clients, or maybe he was just unhappy, I don't know. He had little other questions for me and really couldn't explain what exactly an analyst does, other than sort through mountains of data.

I wasn't offered a job...and I probably would of turned it down if I was offered one anyway. Overall a poor interview experience and I don't believe they even knew what kind of person I was by the end.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to show leadership and win over a group.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Stockamp & Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stockamp & Associates interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Stockamp & Associates employees and interview candidates.