Stony Brook University Interview Questions

2.3

E Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stony Brook, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Brook, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Stony Brook University in June 2014.

I submitted my application and came highly recommended. The interviewer knew me and had worked with me on another project. He admitted I was a perfect match for the job and was convinced I would do very well then proceeded to tell me he would be spending a tremendous amount of money on his "clients" dinner and my salary would be $10/hr. Period.

Interview Questions
    There was little negotiation and he wouldn't budge.

Supervisor Interview

Not very lengthy, relatively straight forward. I worked at the university while I was a student so I'm not sure how useful my information is. I worked under the division of campus residences. They were organized well enough to function on a regular basis but problems arose on a fairly regular basis.

Student Research Assistant Interview

Just a few email back and forth

Senior Staff Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Committee members do the initial interviews for professional positions; and if considered a good fit, candidate will be asked to return for second interview to meet with the department head.

Salary levels are tied closely to market data and competitive. Limited negotiation unless a very senior level position.

Student Interview

applied and interview

none

Research Assistant Interview

just find a group which you are interested in and talk to the leader of the group. Better to have a good GPA and background knowledge. Passion for their work will be a plus.

Research Assistant Interview

You have to go through the admission process of the university. It is similar to the procedure followed by other universities. You submit your resume, all official transcripts, GRE scores and TOEFL scores if you need to, a personal statement indicating who you want to work with and why and have 3 professors send a recommendation letter for you to the university. This procedure should be done by mid december and you will get an answer around april.

Supervising Programmer/Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Application over SBU job's site. I heard back from them a month later on scheduling an interview. The interview was a panel interview with a Senior Programmer/Analyst, a Director of Finance, and a Director of Risk Management. They had a predetermined set of questions and each member of the panel asked their "3rd" of questions. The Senior Programmer/Analyst took out his mobile and started texting or emailing after he was done which was not flattering. In addition, per the job description, the job had a great number of "managerial" responsibilities and the requirement of "Application programming experience of one or two languages". During the interview I was told that the role was more a 50-50 role (between management and technical) but neither on the job description nor the interview they provided any additional info on what other technologies are used and a candidate should posses to get this job.

PS. This is a state job so make your own conclusions!

Interview Questions
    • What would my colleges describe you as and what would your manager describe you as?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stony Brook, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Brook, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Applied through the professor I was working on a project for. Hiring was mainly based on my experience and background. I was lucky enough to have done a project similar to the one the job needed.

There was no negotiation

Project Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Stony Brook University.

I was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview. The interview which was conducted by a panel of about five people went great. The interviewers asked about my qualifications and interest in the position. they also clarified salary expectations and tried to gauge my commitment to a long term employment.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked about my citizenship which was unexpected at this stage of the process.   View Answer

Worked for Stony Brook University? Contribute to the Community!