Stony Brook University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technology Support Specialist Interview

Technology Support Specialist
Stony Brook, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Stony Brook University in January 2012.

Interview Details – 2 interviews. First one with a group of 4-5. Asks questions based on job posting. Have storied on experience to talk about for each sentence of the job posting. 2 interview with your boss to see if they like you.

Interview Question – some questions are not off of the job posting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Graduate Research Fellow Interview

Graduate Research Fellow
Stony Brook, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Stony Brook University in August 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a lot faculty members in my area of interest. Although there were not many options I found one person who was willing to take me as his research assistant. there was no formal interview. I worked in his lab for a semester and he found that I was interested in research.

Interview Question – Ask you the physical meaning of equations   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not much of a negotiation, PI offers what he can pay.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor

Interviewed at Stony Brook University

Interview Details – Not very lengthy, relatively straight forward. I worked at the university while I was a student so I'm not sure how useful my information is. I worked under the division of campus residences. They were organized well enough to function on a regular basis but problems arose on a fairly regular basis.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Student Research Assistant Interview

Student Research Assistant

Interview Details – Just a few email back and forth

Interview Question – Some background infomation   Answer Question

Stony Brook, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Stony Brook University in August 2013.

Interview Details – just some questions about image processing and MRI techology

Senior Staff Interview

Senior Staff

I applied online and interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Interview Details – Committee members do the initial interviews for professional positions; and if considered a good fit, candidate will be asked to return for second interview to meet with the department head.

Negotiation Details – Salary levels are tied closely to market data and competitive. Limited negotiation unless a very senior level position.

Student Interview

Student

Interview Details – applied and interview

Interview Question – no questions wer asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Interviewed at Stony Brook University

Interview Details – just find a group which you are interested in and talk to the leader of the group. Better to have a good GPA and background knowledge. Passion for their work will be a plus.

Interview Question – why do you choose Stony Brook   Answer Question

Interviewed at Stony Brook University

Interview Details – You have to go through the admission process of the university. It is similar to the procedure followed by other universities. You submit your resume, all official transcripts, GRE scores and TOEFL scores if you need to, a personal statement indicating who you want to work with and why and have 3 professors send a recommendation letter for you to the university. This procedure should be done by mid december and you will get an answer around april.

Interview Question – no questions asked   Answer Question

Supervising Programmer/Analyst Interview

Supervising Programmer/Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Interview Details – Application over SBU job's site. I heard back from them a month later on scheduling an interview. The interview was a panel interview with a Senior Programmer/Analyst, a Director of Finance, and a Director of Risk Management. They had a predetermined set of questions and each member of the panel asked their "3rd" of questions. The Senior Programmer/Analyst took out his mobile and started texting or emailing after he was done which was not flattering. In addition, per the job description, the job had a great number of "managerial" responsibilities and the requirement of "Application programming experience of one or two languages". During the interview I was told that the role was more a 50-50 role (between management and technical) but neither on the job description nor the interview they provided any additional info on what other technologies are used and a candidate should posses to get this job.

PS. This is a state job so make your own conclusions!

Interview Question – What would my colleges describe you as and what would your manager describe you as?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Stony Brook University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stony Brook University interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Stony Brook University employees and interview candidates.