Stop & Shop Cashier Interview Questions

1.4

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hampton Bays, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton Bays, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in June 2014.

I applied online, and a few days later got a call to come in for an interview the next day. It wasn't exactly an interview though, because they just asked why I didn't go back to [previous employer] and hired me within 5 minutes of walking in the store. I already start next week. The only downside is minimum wage payment, but after 30 days your payment goes up by .25 an hour.

Interview Questions
They said $8/hr which was standard so I didn't fight it.

Other Interview Reviews for Stop & Shop

Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Stop & Shop in July 2013.

I applied online and waited a few days. Got a call back and was called in for a interview. He asked me basic questions and the interview was over within 10 minutes

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dix Hills, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dix Hills, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2014.

I applied for this job online, and their system for doing this is not very good. It seemed to have been designed in the 1990's, they seem to have literally done nothing with it since then, and it didn't work very well either.

I got called and asked if I could come for an interview the next day (no phone interview). This was an extremely quick and basic interview with no surprises, and the manager said it was an initial interview to get a feel for the candidates and that she would call me back for a second one later in the week.

I got a call for a second interview 4 days later, and this was essentially just a job offer and filling out paperwork. However, the job offer I got was not for the position I applied for (which was a cashier position) because there were no openings for that position. The manager did say, however, that she would keep me in mind for that position once it opened.

I would have been fine with that alone, but they wanted me for more hours than I was willing to work (I'm a college student, and I wasn't prepared to give up a good chunk of my social life for a job that I was just getting for some extra money). I ended up declining the offer on those grounds, and I continued my search elsewhere. It was mostly my fault for not inquiring about hours in the first interview, but most employers also ask about that prior to hiring you.

Overall, it was not a bad experience by any means- the manager I interviewed with was pleasant, and she seemed to mostly understand. However, I walked away thinking that the process could have been a lot more organized.

Interview Questions

They didn't have an opening for the position I wanted, and they wanted me for too many hours to allow for a good balance between my work, school, and personal life.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Long time ago, I filled out an application online then a couple days later I went to the store and asked to see the hiring manager. They called her up and she set up a day I could come be interviewed.

no negotiation. everyone starts minimum wage and you have to be a part of the union.

Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Applied online, got called to come in and meet with Customer Service Manager. Took a personality test, and was hired on the spot.

None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morris Plains, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris Plains, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop in January 2011.

I was called in after repeatedly speaking with the front end manager. It took a while to schedule an interview, but after the brief interview, they hired me on the spot.

Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

thhey are organized. just make sure to keep calling

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

I applied online and I got a call the following day for an interview the next day. There really was no interview questions, they seem to hire through experience and/or availability. He just reviewed my resume and asked me to come in 2 days later for training. Training was on computer but not a very good personal training. You basically learn on your own apart form the computer.

Interview Questions
    I wasn't talked to about my pay but its minimum wage for every cashier weather you have experience or not

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Britain, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Britain, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop in July 2013.

It was hard to first get ahold of the hiring lady. MY advice is to definitely go in there a ton of times, not TOO many though! It's wise to do that. It makes it look as though you really want the job!

Okay so S&S called me to tell me when my interview was. I came in about seven minutes before the designated time, and went up to Customer Service. She called the hiring manger down.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to wait for her (mine took about ten) then pick up the closest magazine and start reading! It would make you look as though you're using your time wisely. And shake their hand when they approach you.

She then took me upstairs to the interview room. First started off, asking me to tell her about myself and why I wanted the job. Asked about my prior work experience and what tasks I performed there. Since I am under 18, she told me that my hours would be restricted and if I had any other commitments during the school year. Told me the dress code is a standard yellow shirt, no shorts or short skirts and closed-toe shoes.

Also make note that the Union will be taking money out of your paychecks. I believe she said it was about $75 the first couple of weeks. This goes for any food handler employee. After that she told me that this was only one of two interviews and if I was one of the few they chose, I am going to get another interview by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • None, they were all necessary and understandable.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I went through two interview process; The first one I applied online and they called me in, asked me a number of questions about cash-handling abilities, etc. I originally started out as a bagger, so it wasn't too in-depth or technical. They called me back in for another interview though it was more of a "ok, you got the job. Here's what you do now" type of thing.

Interview Questions

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!