Stop & Shop

Getting the Interview

22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dix Hills, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online, and their system for doing this is not very good. It seemed to have been designed in the 1990's, they seem to have literally done nothing with it since then, and it didn't work very well either.

I got called and asked if I could come for an interview the next day (no phone interview). This was an extremely quick and basic interview with no surprises, and the manager said it was an initial interview to get a feel for the candidates and that she would call me back for a second one later in the week.

I got a call for a second interview 4 days later, and this was essentially just a job offer and filling out paperwork. However, the job offer I got was not for the position I applied for (which was a cashier position) because there were no openings for that position. The manager did say, however, that she would keep me in mind for that position once it opened.

I would have been fine with that alone, but they wanted me for more hours than I was willing to work (I'm a college student, and I wasn't prepared to give up a good chunk of my social life for a job that I was just getting for some extra money). I ended up declining the offer on those grounds, and I continued my search elsewhere. It was mostly my fault for not inquiring about hours in the first interview, but most employers also ask about that prior to hiring you.

Overall, it was not a bad experience by any means- the manager I interviewed with was pleasant, and she seemed to mostly understand. However, I walked away thinking that the process could have been a lot more organized.

Interview Question – Tell me why you would be good for this position   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They didn't have an opening for the position I wanted, and they wanted me for too many hours to allow for a good balance between my work, school, and personal life.

Cashier

I applied in-person and interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details – Long time ago, I filled out an application online then a couple days later I went to the store and asked to see the hiring manager. They called her up and she set up a day I could come be interviewed.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. everyone starts minimum wage and you have to be a part of the union.

Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details – Applied online, got called to come in and meet with Customer Service Manager. Took a personality test, and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult about the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Morris Plains, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was called in after repeatedly speaking with the front end manager. It took a while to schedule an interview, but after the brief interview, they hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details – thhey are organized. just make sure to keep calling

Cashier

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details – I applied online and I got a call the following day for an interview the next day. There really was no interview questions, they seem to hire through experience and/or availability. He just reviewed my resume and asked me to come in 2 days later for training. Training was on computer but not a very good personal training. You basically learn on your own apart form the computer.

Interview Question – There was no interview question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't talked to about my pay but its minimum wage for every cashier weather you have experience or not

New Britain, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop in July 2013.

Interview Details – It was hard to first get ahold of the hiring lady. MY advice is to definitely go in there a ton of times, not TOO many though! It's wise to do that. It makes it look as though you really want the job!

Okay so S&S called me to tell me when my interview was. I came in about seven minutes before the designated time, and went up to Customer Service. She called the hiring manger down.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to wait for her (mine took about ten) then pick up the closest magazine and start reading! It would make you look as though you're using your time wisely. And shake their hand when they approach you.

She then took me upstairs to the interview room. First started off, asking me to tell her about myself and why I wanted the job. Asked about my prior work experience and what tasks I performed there. Since I am under 18, she told me that my hours would be restricted and if I had any other commitments during the school year. Told me the dress code is a standard yellow shirt, no shorts or short skirts and closed-toe shoes.

Also make note that the Union will be taking money out of your paychecks. I believe she said it was about $75 the first couple of weeks. This goes for any food handler employee. After that she told me that this was only one of two interviews and if I was one of the few they chose, I am going to get another interview by the end of the week.

Interview Question – None, they were all necessary and understandable.   View Answer

Interviewed at Stop & Shop

Interview Details – I went through two interview process; The first one I applied online and they called me in, asked me a number of questions about cash-handling abilities, etc. I originally started out as a bagger, so it wasn't too in-depth or technical. They called me back in for another interview though it was more of a "ok, you got the job. Here's what you do now" type of thing.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2013.

Interview Details – Simple process, as this would've been my first job. Received questions about my resume & volunteering experience.

Interview Question – All of the questions were very simple, such as my availability and questions about what I had on my resume.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I needed flexibility in my schedule.

Bayonne, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2009.

Interview Details – Easy

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Stop & Shop?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Stop & Shop

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stop & Shop Cashier interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Stop & Shop employees and interview candidates.