Stop & Shop Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014
Updated Sep 23, 2014

1.6

Front End Cashier Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in August 2014.

Verry nice & simple . The process to a week in total. Just dress classy and have smile on your face and be polite . Nothing difficult or to be nervous about.

Cashier/Bagger Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

I submitted my application online and received a call a week later to come in to meet the hiring manager. The "interview" was more like an informal chat, which was expected given the position I was applying for.

Keep in mind I was in high school and looking for a part-time summer job just to stay busy. Apply early in the summer for the best chance since the number of applications skyrockets once schools get out.

Interview Questions
    • The typical what's your background, where have you worked before, what's your motivation and availability to work. There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

I decided to work elsewhere for the summer.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Single interview process, dress appropriately. Typical questions regarding previous customer service experience. Focus on customer service as a personal job priority during the interview. Knowledge of fractions a must (it is surprising how many people are hired who struggle with basic fractions)

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation as Stop and Shop is a Union shop.

Produce Clerk Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in July 2014.

Interviews were not very long. What was went over was any special skills and availability. Afterwards, there was a briefing of what the job asks of you and then you are told that you will be called back for anything else. I got a call back the same day saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • What exactly do you know about produce? Can you tell what is good or bad?   Answer Question

Gas Station Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stoneham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoneham, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

The hiring process was kind of iffy, although I imagine it isn't like this for everyone. I went to my first interview where I really didn't say anything, the assistant manager basically talked the whole time and I barely got a word in. He ended it by saying they'd call me back, although that didn't happen. I called after a few days but he was apparently unavailable. I kept calling but I never got him, I only spoke with him when I went shopping a week later where he just said I was not hired.

I reapplied a month later, and I got a more standard inteview process. I met with someone else, and she was pleased with me. She scheduled another interview later that day, the second interview was with my former department manager. I was called a few days later and hired to work part time.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask that many questions, certainly nothing extrordinary.   Answer Question
    No, the company is unionized so whatever you get is standardized for every employee.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Pretty simple. Applied online. Received a call and talked to the hiring manager. I had previous experience in deli so it was pretty cut and dry. I started the following week.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hampton Bays, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton Bays, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in June 2014.

I applied online, and a few days later got a call to come in for an interview the next day. It wasn't exactly an interview though, because they just asked why I didn't go back to [previous employer] and hired me within 5 minutes of walking in the store. I already start next week. The only downside is minimum wage payment, but after 30 days your payment goes up by .25 an hour.

Interview Questions
    They said $8/hr which was standard so I didn't fight it.

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

A relative works in the store. This person asked the manager to look at my application first. I came in after school (I was 16) for about 20 minutes and talked to the manager about school. I came in later that week to get the paperwork sorted, and that was it. I was hired pretty much from the moment I walked in the door.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. I was told I had to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pay was negotiated by the union.

Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

Applied online, and their system is in dire need of an upgrade. You can't go back to previous pages in the application, not even with your browser's back button. Only once the application is nearly finished can you review it. There is no option to save or continue later, so you'll need to start over if you get interrupted. And before you can begin, you're required to give your SSN. You're then asked broad and vague multiple choice questions that are like a psychological test. I answered as honestly as I could with the available choices.

I got a call about 2 weeks later to schedule an interview. The first batch of questions were related to my availability, previous experience, and if I was legally allowed to work. The rest were rather outdated questions that never accurately judge someone's abilities. Nothing was mentioned about the company or the positions I applied for, save for how customer service is important.

While the hiring manager seemed friendly, she didn't take any notes or record my answers. I had some questions, but was only able to ask two of them. Why are these positions open? Is there a number I can call to follow up if need be? Her responses were long-winded, and barely answered my questions. She also implied following up wasn't a good idea, and that I should wait a couple weeks before calling the store. She ended the interview before I could ask anything else. Once I'd left the office and gotten out of sight, I heard her start yelling at an employee who'd come to ask her about something.

I think their hiring process could use some improvement. It's not terrible, but it's not great, either.

Grocery Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

The hiring and interview process was fairly easy and quick. I received a phone call for an interview the day after I submitted my application. I was given the job at the interview and started the next day.

Interview Questions

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!