Stop & Shop

1.6

Gas Station Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoneham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoneham, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

The hiring process was kind of iffy, although I imagine it isn't like this for everyone. I went to my first interview where I really didn't say anything, the assistant manager basically talked the whole time and I barely got a word in. He ended it by saying they'd call me back, although that didn't happen. I called after a few days but he was apparently unavailable. I kept calling but I never got him, I only spoke with him when I went shopping a week later where he just said I was not hired.

I reapplied a month later, and I got a more standard inteview process. I met with someone else, and she was pleased with me. She scheduled another interview later that day, the second interview was with my former department manager. I was called a few days later and hired to work part time.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask that many questions, certainly nothing extrordinary.   Answer Question
    No, the company is unionized so whatever you get is standardized for every employee.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Pretty simple. Applied online. Received a call and talked to the hiring manager. I had previous experience in deli so it was pretty cut and dry. I started the following week.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton Bays, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton Bays, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop in June 2014.

I applied online, and a few days later got a call to come in for an interview the next day. It wasn't exactly an interview though, because they just asked why I didn't go back to [previous employer] and hired me within 5 minutes of walking in the store. I already start next week. The only downside is minimum wage payment, but after 30 days your payment goes up by .25 an hour.

Interview Questions
    They said $8/hr which was standard so I didn't fight it.

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

A relative works in the store. This person asked the manager to look at my application first. I came in after school (I was 16) for about 20 minutes and talked to the manager about school. I came in later that week to get the paperwork sorted, and that was it. I was hired pretty much from the moment I walked in the door.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. I was told I had to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pay was negotiated by the union.

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Easy interview, hired on the spot, background check required. Very few questions some included. Why do you want to work at stop and shop. explain a time you went out of your way for customer service. Mostly concerned with availability.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had a conflict with a customer and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

The front-end manager kept me waiting for almost an hour before finally interviewing me. He asked the typical questions that try to assess your personality and temperament. Because the interview took place in the manager's office, I got to see how they interacted with one another which was pretty unprofessional, to be honest.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer
    You're able to negotiate your own hours, but not anything else.

Grocery Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

The hiring and interview process was fairly easy and quick. I received a phone call for an interview the day after I submitted my application. I was given the job at the interview and started the next day.

Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

Applied online, and their system is in dire need of an upgrade. You can't go back to previous pages in the application, not even with your browser's back button. Only once the application is nearly finished can you review it. There is no option to save or continue later, so you'll need to start over if you get interrupted. And before you can begin, you're required to give your SSN. You're then asked broad and vague multiple choice questions that are like a psychological test. I answered as honestly as I could with the available choices.

I got a call about 2 weeks later to schedule an interview. The first batch of questions were related to my availability, previous experience, and if I was legally allowed to work. The rest were rather outdated questions that never accurately judge someone's abilities. Nothing was mentioned about the company or the positions I applied for, save for how customer service is important.

While the hiring manager seemed friendly, she didn't take any notes or record my answers. I had some questions, but was only able to ask two of them. Why are these positions open? Is there a number I can call to follow up if need be? Her responses were long-winded, and barely answered my questions. She also implied following up wasn't a good idea, and that I should wait a couple weeks before calling the store. She ended the interview before I could ask anything else. Once I'd left the office and gotten out of sight, I heard her start yelling at an employee who'd come to ask her about something.

I think their hiring process could use some improvement. It's not terrible, but it's not great, either.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

If you know someone in the company, there isn't much of an interview process, it's more of an orientation. Majority of the people who get hired in this company knows someone, because they hate doing interviews all the time.

No negotiations, you start at minimum wage.

Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Stop & Shop.

You will wait for awhile for the manager to come down to talk to you, but they are super pleasant and meet with you for as long as needed. Once you get upstairs, you pretty much already work here so relax, but be honest about your availability. Nothing will get you on their crap list faster than saying you are available 24/7, and then tell them you can only work on Sundays. You will end up on carriages.

Interview Questions
    • When they ask what role you are applying for, don't apply for carriages, porter, or bagger. Aim higher, the other employees will help you out if you get hired.   Answer Question
    Union job, no negotiations available