Stop & Shop

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

1.5

Cashier/Bagger Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

I submitted my application online and received a call a week later to come in to meet the hiring manager. The "interview" was more like an informal chat, which was expected given the position I was applying for.

Keep in mind I was in high school and looking for a part-time summer job just to stay busy. Apply early in the summer for the best chance since the number of applications skyrockets once schools get out.

Interview Questions
    • The typical what's your background, where have you worked before, what's your motivation and availability to work. There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

I decided to work elsewhere for the summer.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Single interview process, dress appropriately. Typical questions regarding previous customer service experience. Focus on customer service as a personal job priority during the interview. Knowledge of fractions a must (it is surprising how many people are hired who struggle with basic fractions)

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation as Stop and Shop is a Union shop.

Produce Clerk Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop in July 2014.

Interviews were not very long. What was went over was any special skills and availability. Afterwards, there was a briefing of what the job asks of you and then you are told that you will be called back for anything else. I got a call back the same day saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • What exactly do you know about produce? Can you tell what is good or bad?   Answer Question

Gas Station Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoneham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoneham, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

The hiring process was kind of iffy, although I imagine it isn't like this for everyone. I went to my first interview where I really didn't say anything, the assistant manager basically talked the whole time and I barely got a word in. He ended it by saying they'd call me back, although that didn't happen. I called after a few days but he was apparently unavailable. I kept calling but I never got him, I only spoke with him when I went shopping a week later where he just said I was not hired.

I reapplied a month later, and I got a more standard inteview process. I met with someone else, and she was pleased with me. She scheduled another interview later that day, the second interview was with my former department manager. I was called a few days later and hired to work part time.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask that many questions, certainly nothing extrordinary.   Answer Question
    No, the company is unionized so whatever you get is standardized for every employee.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Pretty simple. Applied online. Received a call and talked to the hiring manager. I had previous experience in deli so it was pretty cut and dry. I started the following week.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton Bays, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton Bays, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop in June 2014.

I applied online, and a few days later got a call to come in for an interview the next day. It wasn't exactly an interview though, because they just asked why I didn't go back to [previous employer] and hired me within 5 minutes of walking in the store. I already start next week. The only downside is minimum wage payment, but after 30 days your payment goes up by .25 an hour.

Interview Questions
    They said $8/hr which was standard so I didn't fight it.

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

A relative works in the store. This person asked the manager to look at my application first. I came in after school (I was 16) for about 20 minutes and talked to the manager about school. I came in later that week to get the paperwork sorted, and that was it. I was hired pretty much from the moment I walked in the door.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. I was told I had to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pay was negotiated by the union.

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Easy interview, hired on the spot, background check required. Very few questions some included. Why do you want to work at stop and shop. explain a time you went out of your way for customer service. Mostly concerned with availability.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had a conflict with a customer and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

The front-end manager kept me waiting for almost an hour before finally interviewing me. He asked the typical questions that try to assess your personality and temperament. Because the interview took place in the manager's office, I got to see how they interacted with one another which was pretty unprofessional, to be honest.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer
    You're able to negotiate your own hours, but not anything else.

Grocery Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

The hiring and interview process was fairly easy and quick. I received a phone call for an interview the day after I submitted my application. I was given the job at the interview and started the next day.