Stop & Shop

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

1.6

Bakery Clerk Interview

I was called in for an interview and talked to the hiring manager for about 20 minutes. Most of the conversation was about what I was studying in school and what position I would enjoy (she said she had a cashier or bakery clerk position available). I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Just why do you want to work here etc.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was minimum wage.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Conducted initial interview with myself the candidate and district HR manager. Next step was with regional manager and regional HR manager.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was referring to most complicated interaction(s) with a previous supervisor and how it was dealt with, and the end result.   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dix Hills, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dix Hills, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2014.

I applied for this job online, and their system for doing this is not very good. It seemed to have been designed in the 1990's, they seem to have literally done nothing with it since then, and it didn't work very well either.

I got called and asked if I could come for an interview the next day (no phone interview). This was an extremely quick and basic interview with no surprises, and the manager said it was an initial interview to get a feel for the candidates and that she would call me back for a second one later in the week.

I got a call for a second interview 4 days later, and this was essentially just a job offer and filling out paperwork. However, the job offer I got was not for the position I applied for (which was a cashier position) because there were no openings for that position. The manager did say, however, that she would keep me in mind for that position once it opened.

I would have been fine with that alone, but they wanted me for more hours than I was willing to work (I'm a college student, and I wasn't prepared to give up a good chunk of my social life for a job that I was just getting for some extra money). I ended up declining the offer on those grounds, and I continued my search elsewhere. It was mostly my fault for not inquiring about hours in the first interview, but most employers also ask about that prior to hiring you.

Overall, it was not a bad experience by any means- the manager I interviewed with was pleasant, and she seemed to mostly understand. However, I walked away thinking that the process could have been a lot more organized.

Interview Questions

They didn't have an opening for the position I wanted, and they wanted me for too many hours to allow for a good balance between my work, school, and personal life.

Dairy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2014.

The interview process was fairly easy. I was called for an interview within a week of applying online. They had just remodeled the store so the experience was comfortable for me. My interview took approximately 1hour, the store is always busy which is good thing< which always means more hours for employees. The person that interviewing wanted to make sure i was knew about the grocery business which i did, as i currently work at another major supermarket for about 12 years now, so i was well prepared. I met the store manager, my dept manager and another assistant store manager whom were very nice to talk to. I was treated with respect which is all what i could have asked for.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question i was asked was if i knew how to operate the electric jacks/forklift   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a salary that was acceptable to the amount of work i would be doing.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Long time ago, I filled out an application online then a couple days later I went to the store and asked to see the hiring manager. They called her up and she set up a day I could come be interviewed.

no negotiation. everyone starts minimum wage and you have to be a part of the union.

Part Time Customer Service Department Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairhaven, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairhaven, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interviewed once hired immediately and knew my interviewer

Interview Questions
    None we are union work place

Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

Applied online, got called to come in and meet with Customer Service Manager. Took a personality test, and was hired on the spot.

None.

Floral Clerk] Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stop & Shop.

They asked me why I wanted a job. I said I needed money

Interview Questions
    I asked for the going rate. They accepted.

Personal Shopper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Stop & Shop in January 2014.

Quick interview. Hired on the spot. no resume needed. created my schedule right at interview. no pressing questions. such an easy interview.

no negotiation on salary

Various Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hicksville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hicksville, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Stop & Shop in December 2013.

Was easy as pie. Was told what jobs were opened and had to speak about my past jobs