Storm8

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.2

Analytics Interview

Phone interview with HR. Phone interview with CEO. Then, very intense on-site interview with 8 people across the company - CEO, Product, User Acquisition, HR, on and on.

At the end, I felt they were not really interested in filling the position. Just trying to learn about from interviewees.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a million to spend on Facebook to acquire users, how would you spend it. Keep in mind, the position was in Analytics -- not marketing.   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

The interview process is quick, unlike a lot of other companies with too many long processes in place. At Storm8, it's typically a phone interview, then an onsite, and decisions are made quickly. Getting here is easy, and we're right off the freeway so there's no hassle in trying to find the place. There is plenty of parking in our multiple parking lots, unlike companies located in San Francisco.

Interview Questions
    • People wonder about the best way to get to our office from Caltrain.   View Answer

Associate Producer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

The hiring process was very smooth and quick.

I was contacted through LinkedIn about an open position at Storm8 and had a quick chat with the department head over the phone. I was then forwarded to their HR/Recruitment team. They were friendly and concise. A date for an in-person interview was made in under a week.

On the day of the interview, their HR team went out of their way to check in throughout the interview and make sure I had everything I needed (water, coffee, etc). It helped to create a relaxing and friendly environment (this is an important factor to me as interviewing can make me extremely nervous).

Interviews at Storm8 are done in a panel format where the team you will be working with interviews you two at a time. For my interview this was repeated three times, the fourth was with the department head alone. This is pretty standard for the Game Industry. Although I must say, I was impressed that they had reviewed my LinkedIn beforehand, had printed out copies of my LinkedIn profile, and asked pertinent questions while taking notes. This is not something that happens at most companies when going through the interview process. Expect to have a challenge question asked during your interview (brain teaser question).

They were both personable and efficient throughout. Time from first contact to offer - 10 days.

Interview Questions
    They listened to what I had stated in the interview portion and the offer letter reflected that statement.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

Applied through their website, one recruiter call, one shared doc coding test, and then the onsite. The online test was done with a programmer over the phone. They used to do automated Codility tests, but do not anymore. It was the rotated array question, which seems to be pretty standard for them. The interviewer wanted a very specific solution to the problem, I had a solution that worked but apparently it wasn't "clean" enough for him, even though it worked in the optimal O(log(n)) time. Anyways after some conversation I got it where he wanted.

The onsite questions were a little harder. They all seem to be recursion/dynamic programming problems. None of them have anything to do with mobile or gaming and are general algorithm problems you might see at Google or Amazon. I got through the first questions, but after asking the first few engineers some questions, I decided I didn't really want to work there and kind of blanked on the last problem. Also they second guy I interviewed with was working on his laptop for 90% of the interview, he didn't really talk for the first 30 minutes after writing the question on the whiteboard. This is funny because the recruiter told me communication is a big thing they look at during the interviews, if you can explain why you are doing what you are doing it is a good thing even if it isn't exactly right. That is blatantly false, as the interviewers want only the most optimal solution and perfect code.

Really all of my mobile game programming experience did not matter, they only care about problem solving skills. This is good for people that want to get into the game industry and have no experience, although I'd argue Storm8 isn't really in the game industry. From a tech perspective they really seem to be behind and just approach each game release with a blunt force approach. When they told me how they port their games to Android I just giggled. And "game" is a generous term when talking about Storm8 titles. They are just a bunch of clones that they push out at fast as possible. As an experienced game programmer, they are not a company I would want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • NDA prevents me from specifying the onsite questions, but like I said they are all hard recursion/dynamic programming problems.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 in October 2014.

The recruiter reached out to set up a phone interview with me within a week. The hiring manager called but, instead of taking an interest in my skills and experience, asked a string of heavily detailed questions about my past employer and their structure, contracts, and partners. I repeatedly said I can't discuss any real details and had to use hypotheticals, but he persisted to ask how much This client got paid or That project royalty structure. It was insulting to say the least, as I wasn't treated as a candidate at all, but as a free consultant or spy. On top of that, he was not educated on how partnership contracts are structured.

Interview Questions
    • What is the royalty rate you gave to [licensor]?   View Answer

Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Storm8 in July 2014.

At least I think it was for that role? I was recommended by a friend but still had to introduce myself to HR who claimed to have lost the recommendation in the process. I was told to have a phone interview for the desired position and answered all questions over the phone correctly. Then I was brought in to interview 1 on 1 with the team and found several surprises. First they complained about not having enough time and blamed HR. Strike one. Then they started interrupting me and drilling on various hypotheticals about economy tuning, mentioning my economy designer "aspirations". Strike Two. Finally they gave me a surprise test on the spot asking me to perform what amounted to a whole project of work. The test was fragmented and poorly composed. Any questions for more detail was taken as hesitation or lack of understanding. Strike three.

Topping it off was HR telling me I'd hear back and then hearing nothing. Maybe they were embarrassed they had been interviewing me for the wrong role? I understand Storm8 is looking to grow, but my experience revealed that may be costing them severely in professional terms. To this day I still have no idea what role I was interviewing for.

Storm8 Response

Nov 13, 2014People Team

We use Jobvite to ensure that candidate applications are matched accurately with the position that they applied for, so we are sorry to hear about the potential mix-up you experienced! We're hoping ... More

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood, OR

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Storm8 in July 2014.

Contacted by recruiter, aftrr phone screening went in for a face to face interview. Met with two members of the QA team and then with the manager. They asked me to test and find issues as well as create a test plan on the spot. Total interview time was 3 hours and it was a lot more intense than any other QA interviews I've had. People are all nice and even offered me a beverage and snacks whilw I waited.

Interview Questions
    • How to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Is the one that really stuck out to me.   Answer Question

Game Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

Had three phone calls: recruiter first (company information), then a production recruiter, then a manager in the respective department. Process for all three calls took about 3.5 weeks.

All calls were enjoyable and helpful. Phone interviews lack the ability to gage a potential employee on passion, adaptability and attitude, which means if you don't have the perfect answer for each question, you're out of luck. I found this practice very atypical for being in the industry for so many years.

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a dispute between two members of a team?   Answer Question
    • How would you manage a team and ensure you meet deadlines?   Answer Question
    • If your game does not perform well in acquiring revenue, what steps would you take to create an action plan?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

Very High bar, but High Quality company. Interview is not on past experience, but on what you SW knowledge you know or have retailed since school. Process is pretty standard and recruiter tries to prep you through it all, but overall, SW Team is hard to get through.

Associate Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

I submitted my resume through employee referral, and it took about 2.5 weeks for a recruiter to contact me via email. We scheduled a phone interview a few days later with a senior team member. The phone chat was pleasant; really more of a get-to-know-you, personality barometer conversation with some discussion about experience and career path expectations. I was offered an in-person interview at the end of the call, and the recruiter contacted me later to set it up.

The in-person interview was a few rounds; overall I met with 4 people from what would be my direct team, and then with the recruiter to discuss salary expectations and benefits after the other interviews were over. Interview questions mainly focused on how your previous experience relates to the position you're applying for, and getting a feel for how you would handle the day to day tasks of the position. There were also some situational and brainteaser questions posed.

Recruiters take into consideration what your stated desired salary is from the conversation at your in-person interview. When I received my offer, I actually was satisfied with the original proposal, so I didn't feel the need to negotiate, but I'm sure you probably could. It doesn't seem like there are set salary caps for positions, so it's best to be upfront about what you want during that salary conversation so that your recruiter can negotiate something you'll be happy with.