Storm8 Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I received an email from one of Storm8's HR employees a few days after submitting an application. He set up a phone call with me. It was short-- he explained the positions available (I think this is just their standard recruiter talk, since I had specified the position I was after), answered my questions, and asked me a couple of very general technical questions about Big-O runtime notation and object-oriented programming, just making sure I had a basic idea of what I was talking about. He was very helpful and informative.

Another few days passed and I got an email telling me that the hiring manager was interested in advancing me through the interview. He emailed me, and set up a technical phone screen with one of the engineers.

The technical phone screen consisted of a few verbal questions about the basics of data structures and so forth, then a couple of coding questions using collabedit. The first was a fairly common question about a rotated array. I'd seen it before so I was able to solve it quickly; the interviewer asked for me to make my code a little cleaner, then was satisfied and moved on. The second question was a trickier sorting question. I got the initial logic underlying the solution but had a little trouble working out the exact implementation. It took me a little while to get it, but the interviewer was satisfied by seeing my thought process.

After that, I did have to wait for a little while longer, because I'd applied early in December, and the holidays had arrived-- of course it's going to be difficult to schedule an interview then. I received an email asking me to fly out for an onsite interview and was able to schedule one for the week after I received the email.

The onsite interview started with a tour of the office (I can't say much about what I saw that isn't already advertised on their site) with the HR guy I'd been talking to, followed by some non-technical interview questions and company info with him before switching off to the next interviewer. I then went several interview rounds with different engineers. All of these started out with basic q&a and then went to one or two coding questions. The coding questions started out on a whiteboard, and ended with typing it out into a collabedit document; I was encouraged to talk my way through what I was doing, and then to make sure my code was clean. I did struggle with a couple of the questions. The interviewers were helpful without giving away the answers, and understood that some of my difficulty was just a matter of nerves. The questions ranged from basic string and array manipulation to a data structures question to a couple on recursion/dynamic programming. (Of course, they didn't always say what method you were supposed to use to solve something, no "this is a dynamic programming question"; you had to use your judgment.) Basically they were making sure that I knew how to code and to do so neatly and efficiently.

One of the engineer interview rounds also included a lunch break; I just ate with everyone in their cafeteria and got to meet some of the other people at the company.

After all the technical rounds came one more basic q&a with the head of engineering. I received my offer in person at the end of the onsite interview, though apparently that's unusual for them. They do really want you to respond to an offer very quickly. I had no problems with the process of arranging travel out there, and they were pretty understanding with the time frame for that since I was flying from the East Coast.

Interview Questions

• There was a data structures question that didn't look like it was about data structures on the surface that kind of threw me for a loop. This was the second question I had with that particular interview, and his first question was the more important one. Not sure I can say what the question actually was due to NDA.   1 Answer

Analytics Interview

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Phone interview with CEO. Then, very intense on-site interview with 8 people across the company - CEO, Product, User Acquisition, HR, on and on.

At the end, I felt they were not really interested in filling the position. Just trying to learn about from interviewees.

Interview Questions

• If you had a million to spend on Facebook to acquire users, how would you spend it. Keep in mind, the position was in Analytics -- not marketing.   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

Interview

The interview process is quick, unlike a lot of other companies with too many long processes in place. At Storm8, it's typically a phone interview, then an onsite, and decisions are made quickly. Getting here is easy, and we're right off the freeway so there's no hassle in trying to find the place. There is plenty of parking in our multiple parking lots, unlike companies located in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• People wonder about the best way to get to our office from Caltrain.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through their website, one recruiter call, one shared doc coding test, and then the onsite. The online test was done with a programmer over the phone. They used to do automated Codility tests, but do not anymore. It was the rotated array question, which seems to be pretty standard for them. The interviewer wanted a very specific solution to the problem, I had a solution that worked but apparently it wasn't "clean" enough for him, even though it worked in the optimal O(log(n)) time. Anyways after some conversation I got it where he wanted.

The onsite questions were a little harder. They all seem to be recursion/dynamic programming problems. None of them have anything to do with mobile or gaming and are general algorithm problems you might see at Google or Amazon. I got through the first questions, but after asking the first few engineers some questions, I decided I didn't really want to work there and kind of blanked on the last problem. Also they second guy I interviewed with was working on his laptop for 90% of the interview, he didn't really talk for the first 30 minutes after writing the question on the whiteboard. This is funny because the recruiter told me communication is a big thing they look at during the interviews, if you can explain why you are doing what you are doing it is a good thing even if it isn't exactly right. That is blatantly false, as the interviewers want only the most optimal solution and perfect code.

Really all of my mobile game programming experience did not matter, they only care about problem solving skills. This is good for people that want to get into the game industry and have no experience, although I'd argue Storm8 isn't really in the game industry. From a tech perspective they really seem to be behind and just approach each game release with a blunt force approach. When they told me how they port their games to Android I just giggled. And "game" is a generous term when talking about Storm8 titles. They are just a bunch of clones that they push out at fast as possible. As an experienced game programmer, they are not a company I would want to work for.

Interview Questions

• NDA prevents me from specifying the onsite questions, but like I said they are all hard recursion/dynamic programming problems.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was very smooth and quick.

I was contacted through LinkedIn about an open position at Storm8 and had a quick chat with the department head over the phone. I was then forwarded to their HR/Recruitment team. They were friendly and concise. A date for an in-person interview was made in under a week.

On the day of the interview, their HR team went out of their way to check in throughout the interview and make sure I had everything I needed (water, coffee, etc). It helped to create a relaxing and friendly environment (this is an important factor to me as interviewing can make me extremely nervous).

Interviews at Storm8 are done in a panel format where the team you will be working with interviews you two at a time. For my interview this was repeated three times, the fourth was with the department head alone. This is pretty standard for the Game Industry. Although I must say, I was impressed that they had reviewed my LinkedIn beforehand, had printed out copies of my LinkedIn profile, and asked pertinent questions while taking notes. This is not something that happens at most companies when going through the interview process. Expect to have a challenge question asked during your interview (brain teaser question).

They were both personable and efficient throughout. Time from first contact to offer - 10 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They listened to what I had stated in the interview portion and the offer letter reflected that statement.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 in October 2014.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to set up a phone interview with me within a week. The hiring manager called but, instead of taking an interest in my skills and experience, asked a string of heavily detailed questions about my past employer and their structure, contracts, and partners. I repeatedly said I can't discuss any real details and had to use hypotheticals, but he persisted to ask how much This client got paid or That project royalty structure. It was insulting to say the least, as I wasn't treated as a candidate at all, but as a free consultant or spy. On top of that, he was not educated on how partnership contracts are structured.

Interview Questions

• What is the royalty rate you gave to [licensor]?   1 Answer

Producer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Storm8 in July 2014.

Interview

At least I think it was for that role? I was recommended by a friend but still had to introduce myself to HR who claimed to have lost the recommendation in the process. I was told to have a phone interview for the desired position and answered all questions over the phone correctly. Then I was brought in to interview 1 on 1 with the team and found several surprises. First they complained about not having enough time and blamed HR. Strike one. Then they started interrupting me and drilling on various hypotheticals about economy tuning, mentioning my economy designer "aspirations". Strike Two. Finally they gave me a surprise test on the spot asking me to perform what amounted to a whole project of work. The test was fragmented and poorly composed. Any questions for more detail was taken as hesitation or lack of understanding. Strike three.

Topping it off was HR telling me I'd hear back and then hearing nothing. Maybe they were embarrassed they had been interviewing me for the wrong role? I understand Storm8 is looking to grow, but my experience revealed that may be costing them severely in professional terms. To this day I still have no idea what role I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

Storm8 Response

Nov 13, 2014People Team

We use Jobvite to ensure that candidate applications are matched accurately with the position that they applied for, so we are sorry to hear about the potential mix-up you experienced! We're hoping ... More

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

Interview

Had three phone calls: recruiter first (company information), then a production recruiter, then a manager in the respective department. Process for all three calls took about 3.5 weeks.

All calls were enjoyable and helpful. Phone interviews lack the ability to gage a potential employee on passion, adaptability and attitude, which means if you don't have the perfect answer for each question, you're out of luck. I found this practice very atypical for being in the industry for so many years.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a dispute between two members of a team?   Answer Question
    • How would you manage a team and ensure you meet deadlines?   Answer Question
    • If your game does not perform well in acquiring revenue, what steps would you take to create an action plan?   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood, OR) in July 2014.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, aftrr phone screening went in for a face to face interview. Met with two members of the QA team and then with the manager. They asked me to test and find issues as well as create a test plan on the spot. Total interview time was 3 hours and it was a lot more intense than any other QA interviews I've had. People are all nice and even offered me a beverage and snacks whilw I waited.

Interview Questions

• How to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Is the one that really stuck out to me.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

Interview

Very High bar, but High Quality company. Interview is not on past experience, but on what you SW knowledge you know or have retailed since school. Process is pretty standard and recruiter tries to prep you through it all, but overall, SW Team is hard to get through.