Storm8

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.2

Recruiting Interview

The interview process is quick, unlike a lot of other companies with too many long processes in place. At Storm8, it's typically a phone interview, then an onsite, and decisions are made quickly. Getting here is easy, and we're right off the freeway so there's no hassle in trying to find the place. There is plenty of parking in our multiple parking lots, unlike companies located in San Francisco.

Interview Questions
    • People wonder about the best way to get to our office from Caltrain.   View Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 in October 2014.

The recruiter reached out to set up a phone interview with me within a week. The hiring manager called but, instead of taking an interest in my skills and experience, asked a string of heavily detailed questions about my past employer and their structure, contracts, and partners. I repeatedly said I can't discuss any real details and had to use hypotheticals, but he persisted to ask how much This client got paid or That project royalty structure. It was insulting to say the least, as I wasn't treated as a candidate at all, but as a free consultant or spy. On top of that, he was not educated on how partnership contracts are structured.

Interview Questions
    • What is the royalty rate you gave to [licensor]?   View Answer

Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Storm8 in July 2014.

At least I think it was for that role? I was recommended by a friend but still had to introduce myself to HR who claimed to have lost the recommendation in the process. I was told to have a phone interview for the desired position and answered all questions over the phone correctly. Then I was brought in to interview 1 on 1 with the team and found several surprises. First they complained about not having enough time and blamed HR. Strike one. Then they started interrupting me and drilling on various hypotheticals about economy tuning, mentioning my economy designer "aspirations". Strike Two. Finally they gave me a surprise test on the spot asking me to perform what amounted to a whole project of work. The test was fragmented and poorly composed. Any questions for more detail was taken as hesitation or lack of understanding. Strike three.

Topping it off was HR telling me I'd hear back and then hearing nothing. Maybe they were embarrassed they had been interviewing me for the wrong role? I understand Storm8 is looking to grow, but my experience revealed that may be costing them severely in professional terms. To this day I still have no idea what role I was interviewing for.

Storm8 Response

Nov 13, 2014People Team

We use Jobvite to ensure that candidate applications are matched accurately with the position that they applied for, so we are sorry to hear about the potential mix-up you experienced! We're hoping ... More

Game Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

Had three phone calls: recruiter first (company information), then a production recruiter, then a manager in the respective department. Process for all three calls took about 3.5 weeks.

All calls were enjoyable and helpful. Phone interviews lack the ability to gage a potential employee on passion, adaptability and attitude, which means if you don't have the perfect answer for each question, you're out of luck. I found this practice very atypical for being in the industry for so many years.

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a dispute between two members of a team?   Answer Question
    • How would you manage a team and ensure you meet deadlines?   Answer Question
    • If your game does not perform well in acquiring revenue, what steps would you take to create an action plan?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

Very High bar, but High Quality company. Interview is not on past experience, but on what you SW knowledge you know or have retailed since school. Process is pretty standard and recruiter tries to prep you through it all, but overall, SW Team is hard to get through.

Associate Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

I submitted my resume through employee referral, and it took about 2.5 weeks for a recruiter to contact me via email. We scheduled a phone interview a few days later with a senior team member. The phone chat was pleasant; really more of a get-to-know-you, personality barometer conversation with some discussion about experience and career path expectations. I was offered an in-person interview at the end of the call, and the recruiter contacted me later to set it up.

The in-person interview was a few rounds; overall I met with 4 people from what would be my direct team, and then with the recruiter to discuss salary expectations and benefits after the other interviews were over. Interview questions mainly focused on how your previous experience relates to the position you're applying for, and getting a feel for how you would handle the day to day tasks of the position. There were also some situational and brainteaser questions posed.

Recruiters take into consideration what your stated desired salary is from the conversation at your in-person interview. When I received my offer, I actually was satisfied with the original proposal, so I didn't feel the need to negotiate, but I'm sure you probably could. It doesn't seem like there are set salary caps for positions, so it's best to be upfront about what you want during that salary conversation so that your recruiter can negotiate something you'll be happy with.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Storm8 in June 2014.

Everybody at this company seems to have a major attitude problem. Starting with the person I first spoke to about my resume, to the interviewer who had an issue from the time he said "hello". There may have been a language barrier on his end, I'm not sure.

The questions weren't particularly difficult. Just stuff like:
    - What metrics do you look at?
    - Take me through one of your games?
    - What would you change in one of our games?
    - Do you have any questions for me.

I never got a followup until I pinged them, and then got the automated Jobvite message telling me I wasn't selected.

Very strange and unprofessional experience overall.

Intern Interview

Very unprofessional. Got an internal referral and the recruiter contacted me later saying I should finish something within 24 hours of the sending time first. The recruiter gave the "something" several hours later than the scheduled time so I didn't have enough time to finish a good report. I got the feedback from the hiring manager saying my analyzes was too simple. I knew that would be the case because I was really short of time. When I emailed the recruiter about his/her unprofessionalism, he or she said " you still have 24 hours". I didn't have to wait for them on a 24/7 basis and I am not responsible for the recruiter's unprofessionalism. I won't accept their apology and my advice is that never waste your time on such an arrogant company.

Business Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Storm8.

Highly unprofessional. HR/Recruiter doesnt provide any feedback. Think theyre real hot stuff. Interviewed by 4 people...never ending situational questions.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Storm8 in March 2014.

Applied online and was contacted by recruiter the next day to schedule a phone interview the next week. Recruiter called. Nothing difficult. More behavioral type questions. Described the company and culture.

At the end, she said she would get back to me within two days either way it went. Two days passed and I didn't hear anything. Sent an email asking if there was any news, but didn't get a response. After 2 weeks and no communication, I got the hint and sent another email saying thanks. Again no response.

Thought it was a little rude to say you're going to contact me to let me know the status, and not follow thru, but also ignore.

Probably did me a favor.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult. Just basic behavioral questions.   Answer Question