Storm8

Updated Nov 27, 2014

3.6

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

Applied through their website, one recruiter call, one shared doc coding test, and then the onsite. The online test was done with a programmer over the phone. They used to do automated Codility tests, but do not anymore. It was the rotated array question, which seems to be pretty standard for them. The interviewer wanted a very specific solution to the problem, I had a solution that worked but apparently it wasn't "clean" enough for him, even though it worked in the optimal O(log(n)) time. Anyways after some conversation I got it where he wanted.

The onsite questions were a little harder. They all seem to be recursion/dynamic programming problems. None of them have anything to do with mobile or gaming and are general algorithm problems you might see at Google or Amazon. I got through the first questions, but after asking the first few engineers some questions, I decided I didn't really want to work there and kind of blanked on the last problem. Also they second guy I interviewed with was working on his laptop for 90% of the interview, he didn't really talk for the first 30 minutes after writing the question on the whiteboard. This is funny because the recruiter told me communication is a big thing they look at during the interviews, if you can explain why you are doing what you are doing it is a good thing even if it isn't exactly right. That is blatantly false, as the interviewers want only the most optimal solution and perfect code.

Really all of my mobile game programming experience did not matter, they only care about problem solving skills. This is good for people that want to get into the game industry and have no experience, although I'd argue Storm8 isn't really in the game industry. From a tech perspective they really seem to be behind and just approach each game release with a blunt force approach. When they told me how they port their games to Android I just giggled. And "game" is a generous term when talking about Storm8 titles. They are just a bunch of clones that they push out at fast as possible. As an experienced game programmer, they are not a company I would want to work for.

Interview Questions
  • NDA prevents me from specifying the onsite questions, but like I said they are all hard recursion/dynamic programming problems.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Storm8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

Very High bar, but High Quality company. Interview is not on past experience, but on what you SW knowledge you know or have retailed since school. Process is pretty standard and recruiter tries to prep you through it all, but overall, SW Team is hard to get through.

Software Engineer Interview

Submit resume online and get an online test, then have a phone interview with a engineer. After that, onsite in CA with 3 back-to-back interview. Interviews are based on the basic algorithms, need to master array, permutation and have very clear thoughts on the problems and your codes.

Software Engineer Interview

A headhunter got in touch with me regarding this company that I had never heard of. She forwarded my details to the recruiter who didn't like my profile but gave me a courtesy call and tried to sell this company to me like it was Google. She said I had a non technical background. Got the rejection through headhunter but never heard back from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Never even got a phone screen. I wonder why the recruiter even called.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Storm8 in October 2013.

Referred by one of my friends. Got an phone interview with HR, mainly went through the resume. Followed by a tech interview, and I was asked to write a function in the CollabEdit. The question is to find the rotated point of a rotated sorted array.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Storm8 in May 2013.

A recruiter had contacted me for this position. Apparently they were looking to add more titles and hiring massively that year. She scheduled a phone interview which lasted about an hour. The interviewer was very friendly and smart. She asked me to solve a few problems and write the code in collabedit. She was helpful and provided hints when necessary. I got stuck in one of the problems and took a while to get back on track. So, they decided not to move further.

Interview Questions
    • A sorted array of integers is rotated. Find the position of the minimum element in the rotated array.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Storm8.

A codility test. If cleared then onsite.

Interview Questions
    • Usually the codility test is dynamic programming. But mine was string pattern matching. You have to come up with an optimal(specified time complexity) solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Storm8 in March 2013.

The online qn was a standard dynamic programming qn. The onsite interviews were similar to the online interviews. This was a bummer given that the coding idea does count and only fully compilable/optimal codes count. This is a rather inane way of interviewing according to me because you cannot expect a candidate to write a fully-compilable, working code without providing a development environment. I quickly ran into a couple of simple errors(although my implementation idea was correct) and that decided my fate. The final interviewer was irritating; Firstly, he was mentioning about his own achievements (how he had multiple offers and how he ended up choosing storm8). Secondly, he barely listened to my explanation for the code I had written, he was more interested in testing the code and looking for a binary result. I am pretty sure that any employee or even a piece of software can replace these interviewers if they continue this approach.

Interview Questions
    • Standard coding qns which any programmer should know. The catch is that you need to type them in shared online document and make it fully working/compilable/optimal.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

A recruiting talk with a friendly hr. Then did the coding challenge online. Got an onsite interview invitation within a week. The questions seem to be easy. But they do expect really high quality code. All marginal conditions must be considered. Need to avoid any bugs. They made the decision very fast within one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Storm8.

An HR person contacted me and I got a phone interview with her. Then I did the coding challenge but they did not bother to reply or give me any feedback. Very unprofessional company.