Strategic Forecasting

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Development Program/Intern Interview

Analyst Development Program/Intern
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Strategic Forecasting.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by in-person at the Austin office. They asked general questions about political events. The more enthusiastic you are about the Stratfor-take on world events, the better. Cite articles, viewpoints, analysts and the books of George Friedman and you'll be a shoo-in. Drink the Kool-Aid and you'll be welcomed into their world with open arms.

Interview Question – There was a logic test. To the effect of: If all x's are y's and some y's are z's how many...something something something. Review logic 101 problems. A little basic math on how to convert to percentages, too.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Told I got it, went to work. Long hours, no pay. Little opportunity for a job at the end of it all. Stressful and weird work environment.

Watch Officer Position Interview

Watch Officer Position
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Strategic Forecasting in July 2011.

Interview Details – The company was very quick to contact me and arrange an interview. I heard nothing, but good things about STARTFOR, but it is also the only company in the Austin area providing such a service. The interview was with a panel, but everyone was friendly and they seemed interested in truly assessing my capabilities. From what I have heard it is very demanding, but rewarding based upon the desire to work with a company dealing with open-source information and rigorous analysis.

Be aware of current events prior to the interview.

Interview Questions

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Strategic Forecasting in January 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the internship, and received a phone call back from HR that I was selected for an interview. The interview was a group interview, with 2 other candidates and 3 people asking questions. Many of the questions were about situational events. There was also a test, which tested your basic problem solving and research skills.

Interview Question – What was one thing in your life that was extremely difficult for you to accomplish?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unpaid.

Geopolitical Intern Interview

Geopolitical Intern
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Strategic Forecasting in April 2008.

Interview Details – I applied for a Geopolitical Intern position with Stratfor for the summer of 2008. I sent in my application online in mid-March, consisting of a resume, cover letter, and my own article on a current political/economic issue. Stratfor's HR Manager called me back the last week of April to schedule a phone interview two days later. The phone interview was conducted by two Analysts, one from their Middle East team and one from Latin America. I was interviewed with 2 other candidates in a group (the other two were physically in the office). The interview started with each of us given 3 minutes to explain why our experience and education would make a good fit for Stratfor. Then the Analyst started an interactive conversation on current geopolitical topics. All the candidates took turns voicing our opinions on a variety of topics, from the implications of Brazil's new oil finds to reasons for current Syrian and Israeli tension. The interview was very fast-paced, and our discussion was spirited. Each of us exhibited much passion for international politics and economics, something that impressed the Analysts. They insisted on objectivity in all our responses, a value which I found is Stratfor holds most dearly. If you are up to date on current events, are passionate about the subject, and can think clearly, you will do well in this interview.

Interview Question – Why did the US Navy revive its Fourth Fleet, the one tasked with defending sealanes around Latin America?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation of salary as interns are unpaid. They called me back a week and a half after the interview to let me know I had gotten the job.

Worked for Strategic Forecasting? Contribute to the Community!