Strayer University Admissions Officer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.7

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Admissions Officer Interview

The recruiter called and I received a quick response from the Campus Director with a phone interview. The phone interview was unorthodox, yet exciting. The traditional, "what are your strengths and weaknesses were not asked." The following day was face to face with Campus Director and Dean.

Other Interview Reviews for Strayer University

Admissions Officer Interview

Phone Interview followed by face to face interview. The interview process was not lengthy at all. The atmosphere was really relaxed and I was given alot of information about the job. Many of the quaetions were behavior based question so those who interview should be ready.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate. I was given a fair salary.

Admissions Officer Interview

Strayer tends to favor panel interview styles, with one candidate in front of 3 or 4 different managers. They have a set interview question guide that they use, but they do come up with their own questions as they deem necessary. Since the Admissions Officer position, they tend to look for someone who could be described as a good salesperson, and indeed many of the people they hire have a background in sales and retail. Since most of the "selling" is over the phone, I have heard of Admissions Officer candidates being asked to do a mock "sales call" on the spot with the interviewers. Aggressive, sales persons are typically preferred, with those with experience with high-pressure metrics practically hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a question that threw me off, but the rudeness of my interviewers. After I was made to wait for 3+ hours for my scheduled interview, my interviewer said that he was concerned about "my apparent introvert personality" during the interview. I am NOT an introvert- I was mentally drained after waiting for hours, without explanation of apology for the delay.   Answer Question
    They asked what my desired salary was told that the "cap was set" at less than that.

Admissions Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Strayer University.

There were 3 rounds of interviews plus an initial phone screen. The interviews were lengthy, but very thorough--this team really wants the applicant to truly understand the pros/cons of the position, which was incredibly refreshing.

Interview Questions
    • Would you enroll a student who was a bad fit for Strayer, even though it could mean not reaching your enrollment quota if you didn't?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a salary that was $3,000 higher than the initial offering without any contest.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Strayer University in May 2014.

Applied through their website and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. I had a 45 minute phone interview with the recruiter in which he told me in detail about the position, benefits, pay, and asked me a multitude of questions. A lot of the questions he asked were situational, "tell me about a time when..." relating to my work experiences. After my phone interview he forwarded my resume on to the hiring manager who contacted me the next day and we set up an in-person interview at the Charlotte campus. At that interview, I was asked a lot more situational questions. They had me go through my interview, asked to explain to them my interpretation of the job, and asked why I was applying to do this. Both of the women who interviewed me were very nice and not intimidating at all. I felt very comfortable the whole time and they were easy to talk to.

Admissions Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Strayer University.

I submitted a resume online and was contacted for a phone interview 2 days later. Interviewer asked a few basic questions and about my availability. I was asked about my salary expectation which was above their pay scale. I told her I was still interested depending on room for advancement. She said someone would follow up with me. I got a call the following day and scheduled an interview at the location. I met with two individuals. Both were very friendly and hospitable. I was prepared for the typical STAR questions and instead was asked to elaborate about some experience on my resume. They told me what the position entailed and what a typical day would be like. We talked about some past experiences and they asked if I had any questions. They said I would hear from them if they wanted anything else. The next day I got a call asking to set up a second interview with the location VP. Met with VP. He said that the purpose of the interview was to see if he thought I would be a fit for their culture. He asked some basic questions about my resume and past position. Interview lasted about 20 minutes. Said I would hear from them if they were interested. Next day got an email from the original phone interview person regarding background check and references.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was "What am I missing?" Basically was an open ended invite to tell them if I had any demons hidden away. Not me, I'm perfect and what you see is what you get.   View Answer

Starting pay was below what I was able to accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Piscataway, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Piscataway, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Strayer University in July 2013.

I was cold called by Strayer through my personal network to schedule a phone interview to discuss the position. I was enticed by the pitch to hear them out on the position because of their "generous" tuition reimbursement to pursue an MBA.

Interview Questions
    • I took time off a private consulting job (and cancelled another interview) to speak with the recruiter based on a "hard sell" email pitch about the MBA. The recruiter blew off the call. When I called her 30 minutes after the appointed time... I learned the recruiter was on vacation. I was shocked at the un-professionalism and the statement it makes about Strayer, the University, and their culture.   Answer Question

The recruiter is giving me a "hard sell" for a position that pays significantly less money dangling the savings of the MBA as a benefit The recruiter schedules the appointment when she is on vacation and does not even say "oops" I made a mistake when I sent an email confirming I would be available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Strayer University in April 2013.

Got a phone call from a recuiter, did the telephone interview. Two days later scheduled two interviews at two different locations. Intervew with manager and campus director took a tour of the campus. Questions were the star method.

Interview Questions
    • Campus director wanted me to give my opinion about my current supervisor. I only said nice things about my current supervisor. I think he wanted me to say something negative.   Answer Question
    • I assumed the interview went well.   Answer Question

Admissions Officer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Strayer University in December 2012.

I interviewed twice with both the director and regional manager. Both interviews were ordinary and not over the top in the least bit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Strayer University in January 2012.

Quick process and started about 2 weeks after initial interview

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions, be prepared though with specific instances of overcoming employee issues   Answer Question
    no negotiations