Strayer University

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

2.8

Admissions Officer Interview

The recruiter called and I received a quick response from the Campus Director with a phone interview. The phone interview was unorthodox, yet exciting. The traditional, "what are your strengths and weaknesses were not asked." The following day was face to face with Campus Director and Dean.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Very easy if you are prepared with a solid presentation. Don't do prep, you won't get a job. Demonstrate your passion for adult learning, it is central to the mission.

Student Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Strayer University.

Interview process is two fold. You are interviewed over the phone by an HR representative or hiring manager. Then you are usually brought in for a one-on-one interview, then a panel interview which features scenario type questions. And lastly you meet with a regional VP for final approval.

no negotiation.

Admissions Officer Interview

Phone Interview followed by face to face interview. The interview process was not lengthy at all. The atmosphere was really relaxed and I was given alot of information about the job. Many of the quaetions were behavior based question so those who interview should be ready.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate. I was given a fair salary.

Admissions Officer Interview

Strayer tends to favor panel interview styles, with one candidate in front of 3 or 4 different managers. They have a set interview question guide that they use, but they do come up with their own questions as they deem necessary. Since the Admissions Officer position, they tend to look for someone who could be described as a good salesperson, and indeed many of the people they hire have a background in sales and retail. Since most of the "selling" is over the phone, I have heard of Admissions Officer candidates being asked to do a mock "sales call" on the spot with the interviewers. Aggressive, sales persons are typically preferred, with those with experience with high-pressure metrics practically hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a question that threw me off, but the rudeness of my interviewers. After I was made to wait for 3+ hours for my scheduled interview, my interviewer said that he was concerned about "my apparent introvert personality" during the interview. I am NOT an introvert- I was mentally drained after waiting for hours, without explanation of apology for the delay.   Answer Question
    They asked what my desired salary was told that the "cap was set" at less than that.

Admissions Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Strayer University.

There were 3 rounds of interviews plus an initial phone screen. The interviews were lengthy, but very thorough--this team really wants the applicant to truly understand the pros/cons of the position, which was incredibly refreshing.

Interview Questions
    • Would you enroll a student who was a bad fit for Strayer, even though it could mean not reaching your enrollment quota if you didn't?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a salary that was $3,000 higher than the initial offering without any contest.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Strayer University in May 2014.

Applied through their website and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. I had a 45 minute phone interview with the recruiter in which he told me in detail about the position, benefits, pay, and asked me a multitude of questions. A lot of the questions he asked were situational, "tell me about a time when..." relating to my work experiences. After my phone interview he forwarded my resume on to the hiring manager who contacted me the next day and we set up an in-person interview at the Charlotte campus. At that interview, I was asked a lot more situational questions. They had me go through my interview, asked to explain to them my interpretation of the job, and asked why I was applying to do this. Both of the women who interviewed me were very nice and not intimidating at all. I felt very comfortable the whole time and they were easy to talk to.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Strayer University.

Fairly standard interview process. Interviewed initially with hiring manager. Very friendly and easy to talk with and gauge expectations of the position. Unfortunately, the position requirements changed significantly after our initial interview which was frustrating. Went ahead and continued with two additional interviews with faculty members. Both faculty interviews were enjoyable, friendly and engaging.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find an economics professor to teach in Alabama?   Answer Question

Lack of flexibility that I was looking for from an employer. Poor reputation and review from a local business stakeholder. Very mixed reviews from employees on websites such as Glassdoor.

Admissions Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Strayer University in March 2014.

Applied online, received a call within a week, came in to the campus for an interview with the Admissions Manager and Campus Director, it was a very laid back interview. Pretty much had a conversation. Great Interview! My second interview was with Upper management (the regional director and someone else). This one was a little more awkward...probably because of their personalities but just go with the flow!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not hard at all. I have heard all of the questions before so nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Strayer University.

Applied online for adjunct position for DC location; took 7 months for the Dean to contact me for an interview. I arrived for the interview 15 minutes early, but Dean and Campus President did not interview me for another 45 minutes. They did not explain why they were delayed. They rushed the interview process, and they took another 30 minute break. When I returned, they then instructed me to start the teaching demonstration, which went well. They offered me a position; they thought I would be a excellent instructor for their student population. The next day, I called the Dean and advised her that I would not accept the position.

Interview Questions
    • Why did I want to continue teaching at the college level (I have been teaching for nearly 6 years).   View Answer

The campus president was rude and very unprofessional.