Stripe

Relevance Date Difficulty

Support Engineer Interview

Support Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stripe in June 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume to the specified email on their website and received an email the next day from one of their recruiters. We setup a time to chat on the phone the next day. We had a pleasant chat the next day and at the end she said she would set me up to talk to Account Support member as well as send me some support questions and asked me to answer them as though I was responding to real Stripe customers. The questions weren't difficult and after a bit of research I was able to answer them all reasonably quickly.

The next day I talked to the Account Support member and we discussed my previous roles and how I would be a good fit for Stripe. He told me a bit about his job and what was next for him at the company. They're trying to hire a lot of Support team members before the end of the year.

The next day I received a follow up email from the recruiter and they wanted to fly me out to San Francisco to do an in-person interview. That was on Friday, so on Monday I was flying to San Fran for the interview. The people I meet were really nice - however the interview process was a bit grueling:

It started at 1pm and consisted of meeting with various team members in different departments and generally they had some tests for me to accomplish.

The first test, I was presented with 10 questions various customers had emailed Stripe support for assistance. The questions were similar to the original list but a bit more technical. This was timed and with someone sitting in the room, I felt a bit nervous. The team members all tried to make me feel welcome and at ease - but sometimes you're just nervous. I was only able to answer 4 of the 10 questions within the timeframe allotted (45mins) but with those 4 questions, I had responded with code samples that I validated myself. So it took me a bit to get ramped up.

The next meeting was with the Support team lead and it was a general discussion about past experience and what Stripe was trying to move towards. No tests besides how I answered his general questions. I thought it went well.

The third meeting was another technical test. I was really unprepared for this. The team member came in, introduced himself and introduced the process for how the test would proceed. Basically it was pair programming to figure out a solution to a problem he wrote on the whiteboard. I have to be honest, I blew this test. I was thrown completely for a loop and stumbled my way through the 45mins we had to work on the solution. At the airport on the way back, I emailed the recruiter with a more elegant solution to the problem - however, it didn't seem to matter. ;)

The fourth meeting was a writing test. I was instructed to write for 7 mins about any topic. It was to be similar to a news article or a blog post - not like a story. Again, I wasn't prepared and didn't manage to get much written before he came back. After that, we went through some of the Stripe dashboard and support sections and he asked me how I would make improvements to the UI and content. This I excelled at - and took heart that maybe I should pursue this area in my job search.

Finally I ended the interview process with a meeting with a co-founder that was pretty quick. He's a busy man. :) But it was pleasant.

I caught up with the recruiter before leaving, got a t-shirt and sticker and she said they'd let me know within two days if they'd like to move forward.

Late on the second day, I emailed the recruiter after not hearing back, and I was told that they decided to not move forward. I was bummed as I really felt I could've contributed vastly to the Stripe team and product - I just didn't get to show it during the 4hr in-person interview. I wish I was told as soon as the decision had been made as I was eagerly waiting for their response.

I replied to the recruiter asking for some specific feedback on my interviews to see where I could improve and was told that although I had great past experience, I just wasn't the right fit for the team. So I'm not sure what I did wrong. I got on well with everyone. The only thing I can think of was that maybe they were looking for someone to dedicate a lot of hours to the product, and I had hinted that I was looking for a place with work/life balance (I have a young family) and had just come out from a new startup with insane hours.

So, there you have it. The interview process was very quick and if you get to the in-person interview stage, be prepared! :)

Good luck!

Interview Question – The technical code/test was the most challenging part.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Stripe

Interview Details – One Skype interview (a not-too-difficult algorithms question), then the in-person interview, which consisted of a simple algorithms question, a find-the-bug question, a systems architecture question, a design-and-implementation question, and then a chat about company culture and the interview process with one of the founders. Everyone was very pleasant to be around, and the food was quite good.

Interview Question – None of the questions were super difficult, although I did get tripped up on one for reasons that were entirely my own fault. The most unexpected thing about the questions, actually, was how simple they all seemed. Clearly more than just technical knowledge is being evaluated by Stripe's process.   Answer Question

Account Support Interview

Account Support
Portland, OR

Interview Details – I received an email in response to my resume submission / writing sample the day after I sent it in. They requested a phone call to learn more about my background and answer any questions from another member of the support staff, not one of their recruiters. He said it was the first step of a 2-4 step process and that they'd send me an email when they reached a decision on me, one way or the other. We spoke for about a half hour and I received an email a few days later saying they were not interested in moving forward with me as a candidate, though they were very friendly, connected with me on LinkedIn and asked to know where I ended up in my job search.

Interview Question – They posited a support ticket they received that was really vague, and it was difficult for me to know how to reveal my thought process while trying to answer in a quasi-generic way. The support ticket said "My website shows a sale has been processed, but it's not showing up in my dashboard."   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Support Interview

Account Support
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stripe in October 2013.

Interview Details – There were two initial phone interviews, then a written assignment, and then an on-site interview with a number of people on the team and in the company, that lasted about three hours.

Interview Question – Technical question about the API.   Answer Question

Business Team Interview

Business Team

Interviewed at Stripe

Interview Details – Great office, positive review from customers, typical interview experience in terms of process, questions, etc. Phone interview with recruiter then with team member, then written format (posted on job description), and then you get flown in. Some were easier to engage than others. Generally energetic and happy to talk to you.

Interview Question – no technical questions, just examples of performing role   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stripe.

Interview Details – Initial application submitted online with a sample sales prospect email showing inside sales acumen and relationship building skills. Phone interview with recruiter, somewhat informal but very warm and professional. Said I would be informed in a few days. Took over a week with a vague decline email.

Interview Question – Basic phone screening questions, just do your hw on them.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales

Interviewed at Stripe

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by lots of "homework." They don't have a mature sales team in place yet, so it begs the question - am I doing work for them before I even get a second interview?

Interviewer was curt and inexperienced - I think he fancied himself some kind of Google style interviewer, e.g. "The faster I talk, the smarter I sound," or "If I ask an unreasonable question to answer, I must be doing a good job."

Interview Question – "What's your favorite tech company and why?"   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
BerlĂ­n (El Salvador)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stripe in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a development job advertised as requiring broad development skills. My resume shows me as being an experienced engineer and also shows my educational background quite well. I was asked into a phone interview with screen sharing where I was supposed to implement a certain, artificial functionality. The interviewer expected one specific approach to be used, and the whole interview was then revolving about me not having his idea. He then went on to ask a few basic CS questions about my approach, but apparently he lost interest in me early in the process.

Interview Question – There were almost no questions.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Stripe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stripe interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Stripe employees and interview candidates.