Stryker

Updated Jul 12, 2014

4.0

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Stryker.

I search this companies website, on my own, for an open position, and then reached out to my network for a contact, to assist me in passing my résumé along. Within 5 days I received an email from a recruiter to do a phone screening. The phone screening was great,I was then asked to officially apply for the position since I still had not done that; easy enough.

We immediately set up a face-to-face with the territory manager.

This is where things got interesting. We spent about 30 minutes where I was doing most of the talking (answering questions). Everything was going great, manager even commented that they liked my answers. (We all have done an interview and walked away knowing you would not be receiving an offer)

Finally I started to ask questions about the company, and specific to the role. On my second question I get an odd look back. It was as this point that I was informed that was not the job you are interviewing for. I now asked what it is we are here to interview about. Still an associate role, and even the manager commented that they did not see anything in the emails informing me what the role was (proving that having me officially apply for the open position was never even looked at). We still continued, and I did great with on the spot questions about this position.

Within a few hours of the interview I received the scripted response of we have decided to go with another candidate. Disappointing since I know I did great, even with the poor communication from the recruiter.

Stryker missed out on a passionate hire who sought them out, and showed the drive of a sales person to get in touch with the right people.

Other Interview Reviews for Stryker

Associate Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stryker in May 2014.

HR contacted me after applying for the position online. Very professional and quick to respond and schedule interviews. Don't be surprised if you're interviewing for a position outside of your city/state and they ask you to travel 2-3 times in order to interview with regional managers and reps, as this was requested of me 3 times.

If you nail the personality profile, you have a good shot at making it through the interview process, but that doesn't mean it's a cake walk. One interview with your potential regional manager, then a follow up with two regional managers, then a ride along with a rep. RM's are going to pick you apart and have no reservations with making you feel uncomfortable throughout the interview. They'll find a weak spot and beat it to death if you let them. I can't stress this enough...they want to know you won't crack under pressure and you're quick and confident in your responses. They'll throw a ton of questions at you with hardly enough time to respond. Know yourself, know what you want, and know you're the best candidate for the role.

Interview Questions
    • You're the best candidate we have for this position.   View Answer
    • You think you're a badass?   View Answer

Associate Sales Representative Interview

Brief phone interview, very simple behavioral questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Stryker in April 2014.

I was initially contacted through LinkedIn as a candidate. I told the recruiter that I would like to pursue this opportunity, as it would be a big step up in my career.

The recruiter called within a few days for an initial interview. Questions were mostly about where I was in my current situation, how I measured success, etc. Formal screen, from what I can tell.

The recruiter contacted me again a few days later asking if I would like to meet/interview with the Regional Manager in two days. I made sure I studied up on the company beforehand and went into the interview as prepared as I could (without first having talked to anyone in the company). Cafepharma, Medzilla, and this site helped immensely.

This interview was face-to-face and I learned a lot. It is true that the company culture is gravitated around winning and they like their sales reps aggressive and assertive. Confidence kills. It seems that there is emphasis on having a 'go-getter' attitude, strategic mindset, and above all - delivering results. The RM told me in a very matter-of-fact tone that if you don't make quota, you will be fired. That being said, you are allowed autonomy to get the job done however you see fit. He seemed genuinely excited about the career and that was encouraging - they want people that are hungry & enthusiastic.
    He was also very upfront about, "getting the right person for the job" - which is something I can respect. A career in sales seems very much predicated on personality - (Type A, if I am any judge). There is also physical appearance to consider. In sales, attractive people often do better than not, and I'm sure this factors into the overall equation.

It was hard to get an accurate read what how the RM was thinking, but overall it was positive. Be at the ready with examples to illustrate your points and let the conversation flow. He mentioned that the salary was around 50K for this position.

That is where I am in the interview process. Do not know if I will be called for the gallup test (another, much more intensive phone screen - on personality characteristics). From what I gather, getting a call in a few days (no longer than a week) is a good sign. I'll be honest, I did not get that sign (was told two weeks). I've also read that the entire process can take a month or more.

Not worried though. We'll see where it goes! - I hope this review helps!

Interview Questions
    • One difficult aspect was to try and get a word in. The RM was a fast talker & would often go on for awhile in a story - Not necessarily a bad thing since I asked a lot of open-ended, technical questions   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stryker in January 2012.

Typical Stryker interview process.
    2 phone screens, gallop test followed by 3 in person interviews.
    I did not have a field ride along, but often candidates have to spend a day in the field.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were gallop based performance/goal attaining questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Base salary ples a small commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Stryker in July 2008.

After HR, Manager, and Sales Rep interview, corporate interview consisted of six 30 minute interviews.

Interview Questions
    • would you rather live to work or work to live?   View Answer
    No negotiaton