Stryker Business Planner Interview Questions & Reviews

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Stryker in November 2010.

The interview process was long and intense to say the least which included 3 steps.

1: Talked to recruiter about resume and background information on the phone. She had various interview questions. I was immediately forwarded to the next step.

2: Gallup interview: Phone interview with a person trained through Gallup. Asked many different questions at a very fast pace. (Around 25-30 mins.) (Didn't find out that I passed until over 3 weeks after the Gallup interview even though I was told I would hear back within 1 week. I emailed the recruiter twice, with no response back, until I got an email explaining I had passed.)

3: Flown out to San Jose for an all day interview at the Stryker facility to speak with over 10 people. My flight was cancelled the night before (interview was scheduled for early the next morning.) I had to take initiative to contact the recruiters to let them know the situation while I was sitting in the airport. With out my fast thinking and initiative, they would have had no clue that I possibly would not be arriving for their interview the next morning. I landed in San Jose around midnight and was picked up from their driver in his own vehicle which almost ran out of gas on the way to the hotel. It was a very strange and unprofessional experience.

The all day interview had some high and low points. I have to say there were some (not many) people that were highly professional and made me feel like I was worth their time. However, out of 10 people on my schedule, 2 of them decided to not give me an interview (which made me feel unimportant) and so HR had to scramble to fill my day with other people. I had to speak with one person twice which was redundant and awkward, and the last person on my schedule completely forgot they had an interview with me (great way to make someone your recruiting feel confident about the interview.)

I was contacted about 3 business days later VIA VOICEMAIL that I "lacked the leadership skills" they were looking for and I "didn't have enough experience." Yes. Voicemail. She told me also if i wanted feedback I could call her but if not to "have a great day." What ever happened to a respectful conversation with someone? I also had to email her days later to let her know I even received the v.m. She didn't even follow up to make sure I heard it! Clearly, my opinion or experience with them didn't matter since I wasn't offered a job.

I could write many things here to refute what they said to prove that they are wrong, but I'm not writing this to make myself look or feel better. I took the time to write this for people to realize what an unprofessional company and recruiting process they have. Regardless if I am the right fit or not, I am a person, who took over a month and 1/2 of my time to interview with Styker, which included flying to San Jose. The best they could do was leave a voicemail? Clearly they are unaware of proper procedure and they don't have the right people in HR. Their system is very flawed and b/c of it, they are letting very qualified, good people, slip through the cracks. I can't imagine morale is very high, as I could sense it when I was there. I also can't imagine how current employees feel about having to take time out of their already jam-packed, high- pressure day, to interview someone. It's a bad system and is a no-win situation for the interviewee and the current, non-HR employee who has to give the interview. I felt like I was intruding on people's busy days the entire time I was there.

Talking to several of the people I interviewed with, it was clear that the company is filled with high egos. I was asked by more than one person "who has been you're favorite person you've talked to so far?" Also, "who's been you're least favorite." I don't know if that's some sort of strategy but it makes for a really awkward interview experience. My advice to anyone for some reason interested in working for the company is, to be to the point and as confident as can be.

You would think Stryker would want to leave a positive and professional experience with people, especially the people they are rejecting. Instead, we end up writing our bad experiences on sites like this one, for all the world to see. If I felt that I was treated with respect, I would never take the time to write all of this. I sincerely hope they clean up their system. If you have the same experience, don't take it personally and just remember that everything happens for a reason! I look foward to using my talents and dedication toward a company that appreciates true leadership skills.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Stryker

Business Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stryker in June 2007.

The process started with an On Campus College Job Fair where HR recruiters will take your resume and look for 3 things: GPA (minimum 3.0, no exceptions), experience (though for most college applicants this is not really a factor, and areas of interest. The recruiter will then ask you 2 or 3 of the following behavioral questions: On a scale of 1 to 10, how competitive are you? (Always say 10) Do prefer a fact, medium, or slow paced environment? (Always say fast) Would you rather do your best or be the best? (Be best) Would you rather lead a group or be part of it? (Lead) Etc... Your resume will be marked with a 1(interested) or a 2 (not interested) and you will progress from there only if you were a 1.
    The second phase of the process was on campus interviews. They were one-on-one with the recruiter or one of the other employees there for the job fair. They take you through another behavioral interview (screener) that contains around 50 questions grouped in areas such as achiever, discipline, kinesthetic, mastery, interpersonal, problem solver, service, command, responsibility, courage, team, trust, innovator, focus, and ego. You are rated on each answer with a plus or minus. You should be overzealous on every answer. Sell yourself to the max. Don't worry about seeming conceited. That is what they are looking for. People who thrive on being the best. The overall score will get you a rating of A, B, or C. A= good fit, B= fit with qualifications, C= not a fit. Only A's get passed on to the next step.
    After the interview, you will immediately be informed whether or not you will pass on to the next step. The recruiter will provide you information about setting up the Gallop Phone Interview.
    The phone interview was the hardest part. You spend around an hour on the phone with a Gallop employee who shows no emotion and fires questions at you at a rapid pace and often cuts you off in the middle of your explanations. It is a very unsatisfying and exhausting experience. The questions are all designed to determine your personality traits to see if you are going to be a "fit". The results of the phone interview are then sent to Stryker and they will contact you regarding the result. If you pass (again, only A types pass) you will be asked to come on site for more interviews.
    The on site interview process consisted of one full day of back to back interviews. Most interviews contain 2 people. You will meet with managers of the different departments you are being considered for. There will be a less formal lunch that will usually be 2 people in the position you are applying for. After this, all of the people you met with provide feedback to HR with a recommendation of yes or no and justification. If there is anyone in the process who can back up their "no" answer, you will be cut. You must wow every person you meet with.
    If you pass, you will get a call from HR extending an offer and giving you a completely unreasonable request for an answer (usually like 24 hours). They will give you an extension, but only if you really push for it. They will also low ball you an offer, so you need to negotiate higher and have facts to back it up (like industry averages in that area.) And that's it! Ha.

Interview Questions
    • Do you ever feel like you have done enough?   View Answer
    • How many hours do you work in a week?   View Answer
    • How important is it that your co-workers like you?   View Answer
    • Are you sometimes forceful with other people?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate nearly enough. Being fresh out of college is a disadvantage that they prey on. I was not able to negotiate pay, but I was able to negotiate the signing bonus. Going back in time, I would have insisted on higher pay after doing my homework on the industry average, I would have pushed out my start date further, negotiated an even higher bonus, and gotten more details on the relocation package.

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!