Stryker Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Project Manager Interview

Associate Project Manager
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Stryker Communications in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews in quick succession which went well. The first from the HR department and then with the first line supervisor. I received a follow up call from HR that said i was being scheduled for a campus visit and that i also was going to participate in a Gallup survey. I was not however congruent with the company according to the survey.

Interview Question – The biggest difficulty I had answering any of the questions was being decisive given limited information about a situation. Being decisive is not the problem but i was coached not to use "it depends' when answering their questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Project Manager Interview

Associate Project Manager
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Stryker Communications in September 2010.

Interview Details – Applying for a position online is easy enough and there's a good chance you'll get a phone call. If that call goes well, that's when things get serious. The first thing the recruiter will do is schedule you for Gallup interview where a non Stryker employee asks you lots (a hundred or so) of seemingly arbitrary questions. This method is used to determine your personality and to find out if you have one similar to others who have been successful in the position you are applying for. DO NOT feel bad if you don't make it through this first step as most do not and it's a good thing. If you fake your way through this *and you can* you will probably hate your job, so just be honest. If you do get through there's a good chance you'll be flown in for an in person interview where you'll meet with a team (as many as 8) other individuals (one is likely to be the direct boss you would have) to get a feel for you. These will probably not be group interviews, mine was eight separate mini interviews that took literally hours. You'll likely be taken out to lunch at the halfway point, so show manners and be on your best behavior. It's very intimidating and they like it that way but be confident in your abilities and your experience and that will reflect through. After you leave it may be anywhere from 5-30 days before they contact you for actual employment. I was hired, so I'm not certain what it looks like if they decide to go with another candidate.

Interview Question – What's the difference between team work and a goal oriented team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's worth attempting to negotiate if you feel comfortable. You'll probably get them to budge a little if they really like you but after that first bump things will get rigid. You can go for more but just know the model they use is not to pay their employees at the top of what the market will bear, therefore you'll definitely be making less than a competitor in a similar position, in base salary, however the benefits are quite nice and they contribute fairly heavily into employee 401k programs which is nice if you can handle working there at least 5 full years to become fully vested.

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Stryker Communications

Interview Details – Be confident in the Gallup.

Regulatory Affairs Interview

Regulatory Affairs

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stryker Communications.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews. One was with an HR person covering my resume. The second was with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Tell about a time where you designed something and it failed   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

Electrical Engineering Intern
Flower Mound, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Stryker Communications in February 2011.

Interview Details – I met the recruiter at a career fair and obtained a phone interview. I thought the phone interview went very well, and when I followed up after the interview with the recruiter she was very positive about my interview and mentioned they would soon be following up with more interview information. However, days later I finally heard back and was informed they would not be pursuing any further interviews. I understand that maybe I wasn't what thy were looking for, but I felt it was very unprofessional for the recruiter to falsely encourage me to keep waiting for more information about a second interview.

Interview Question – Would you say you learn a lot about a little, or a little about a lot?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Flower Mound, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Stryker Communications in July 2008.

Interview Details – Interview process was first a phone interview, then a personality interview by the Gallup over the phone, then a half day of interviews onsite with 5 different managers in the company.

I received an offer the day after my onsite interviews.

I would advise interview candidates to go in with a "I will do anything it takes to get the job done" attitude. Tell them you will run through walls to reach your goal, that you are extremely competitve, and that you will do anything for your customer and you will have a good shot at getting hired.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to solve an electrical engineering related problem - how would you troubleshoot this failed circuit?   View Answer
  • If you were modeling a simple L shaped bracket with 2 holes drilled symetrically in one of the flanges, how would you design it in a 3D CAD program.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was shot down completely when trying to negotiate. I've heard this from other employees and it is pretty much the norm. They have a "take it or leave it" attitude and are very prideful that they can find someone else before giving into negotiations.

I heard of a small handful of occassions where senior managers were hired from the outside and were able to negotiate since they were so desperate to fill those positions. That is the exception to the rule though.

Engineering Interview

Engineering

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stryker Communications in June 2011.

Interview Details – The initial contact was an email by an HR recruiter to set up an interview time over the phone. The interview was approximately 30 minutes at most, and consisted mostly of background questions. A few were "A or B" type questions that are samples to gauge how well you will do on the Gallup interview that follows. The recruiter was laid back and very easy to talk to. He called back the next day and said I had passed and explained the procedure for the Gallup, which you also set your own interview time with. Given how I had done with his sample questions, he expected me to do well on it.

Having previously read about it online, I knew what to expect. However, the "interviewer" is basically just there to read questions and hit the record button (they record it to review later, I suppose). This kind of leaves you feeling like you're talking to a blank wall. You receive the "Are you more A or B?" questions and are only supposed to pick A or B, and NOT explain any further. Sometimes, the next question will be to explain, and then you are allowed to do so. However, the interviewer still isn't allowed to help you interpret any questions, so, although the questions were the same as the recruiter, the process felt unnatural.

Ironically, one question was "do you feel like you need to act around other people?" Hearing the questions, it's not difficult to understand what they WANT to hear (aggressive, go-getter, work above all-else etc), but it may not be want you actually believe, thus you pretty much have to act your way through their questions to sound like you fit their style. I kind of lost interest towards the end of it, and they never got back to me with results. I didn't care to follow up as I had little remaining interest in the company. If you're okay with it or think you naturally fit, pursue them, but I chased an opportunity elsewhere as I felt I represent myself better when being.. myself.

Interview Question – Everything in its place or a place for everything?   Answer Question

Worked for Stryker Communications? Contribute to the Community!