Stryker Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.4

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stryker.

Interview

There were no interview at all. They reply to my application with: While we appreciate your interest in Stryker Corporation, we have other applicants who have a background and experiences that more closely fit our needs for this particular position. Again, we certainly do appreciate your interest in Stryker and a potential career with our organization. Very polite, but I can assure that my background and experience were more than enough for the position, but as I have no work experience in the US, that makes my background insufficient. On the same day I receive this answer, I apply for an internship in this company, which is way under my proficiency, only to receive the same answer a couple of days later. I understand this is a normal approach in several companies in US, but it is undeniable that "equal opportunities" are big words that should be used with caution by these companies.

Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stryker.

Interview

Several phone interviews by the recruiter and manager, followed by the Gallup personality quiz. This personality quiz is unconventional but I really liked it. There isn't really a way to prepare and it is best to just answer honestly - this type of blind audition works to see both if you are a good fit for Stryker and vice versa. This is a particularly good practice for a company with so many type A, driven people, as Stryker most definitely is.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stryker.

Interview

It was very simple. Just the normal behavioral questions. First, I had a phone interview, then an in-person one at their headquarters. This one was more technical. Thwe questions were pretty straightforward. The most important thing is to be very confident. Especially on the phone interview. Be confident, be prepared and review glassdoor before hand. Don't be too cocky though. It reflects overconfidence as well.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and weakness? Like people? Leader or follower?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was fairly in depth. It starts with a basic phone call with HR, followed by an in depth personality screen through the Gallup organization. If all goes well, an onsite interview with several cross-functional team members rounds out the process.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ).

Interview

It took over 6 months to get the job at Stryker. The HR Department is so SLOW - then you go onsite for an interview - wait a month go back again wait a month - it took FOREVER!!!! Then one day I went and had to interview with 5 people - one at a time in a small conference room - HORRIBLE. That's just for a coordinator job - not cool

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - they don't tell you what they are offering until you go thru the whole interview process - they said what they were offering - take it or leave it.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Stryker.

Interview

The interview was about a half hour long of extremely difficult questions. The interviewer seemed completely uninterested and was not friendly at all. Although I was not offered a position, the interviewer definitely did not seem like someone I would want to work with or for every day. This entire experience made me remember why I never bothered with Stryker before. They are looking for specific personality types and quickly write off anyone who does not meet that Type A criteria. My advice is to just be yourself because if they don't hire you, chances are it's not a place you would like to work anyways.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stryker (San Jose, CA).

Interview

There are three stages of the interview. The first is a phone interview just to get to know you better, the second is done through an outside company called Gallup. I highly recommend looking up some of the questions beforehand because of how odd they are. The final interview was in person where you meet 7-8 employees who will ask you typical interview questions.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stryker (Kalamazoo, MI).

Interview

On campus interview was straight-forward, was asked what the most complicated thing I have ever done was. Afterwards, I was asked to explain it like the interviewer was in 5th grade. Gallup interview was 60 mins of fast-paced personality questions, mostly yes or no. The interviewers have great BS detection. Last round was a full day of onsite interviews with various full-time employees, including some skill tests (circuit analysis, debugging, logic problems, and assembling a product without instructions.

Interview Questions

• Would you say you get what you want? (Yes or No)   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Initial face to face interview with RM and HR -> Gallup -> 5 additional rounds with a round robin in corporate at the end. The RM and HR rep. becomes your champion when they select to choose to send you to corporate for your final round. There is also a "ride along." The time spent with another rep. is intended to create a bond...don't be fooled however, this is done intentionally to find areas of weakness.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks from start to finish. It began with a screening call with HR, then the hiring manager, and two more phone screens before they set me up for their revered Gallup interview. The phone screens went great, in the standard question and answer format, discussing skills and experience. I felt like the group would be a good fit as well as the job, and even got a bit informal with one of the interviewers while discussing some of the issues this particular job would encounter. However, their Gallup pole, their "main indicator of success," completely inaccurately represented me as an applicant, so it's hard not to be bitter about something that is a go/no-go metric when it gets you wrong and eliminates you from candidacy. As an example, this personality test came back saying my "type" prefers working as part of a group (nope) and I don't like telling people what to do or being a leader (I actually laughed at this when I was told, because that could not be further from the truth). I was honestly surprised and spent a good deal of time examining myself after hanging up the phone before coming to the same conclusion I told the HR woman in the first place: a metric like this, trying to shove people into boxes, is a poor metric. There will always be outliers, there will always be people who lie on these things to move forward, there will always be non-performers even though the test tells you they will be awesome. The best indicator of success should be past performance, and it seems like they rely inordinately on this Gallup poll, which is unfortunate. In the same way applicant tracking systems weed out good employees who don't list enough buzzwords on their resume, this poll is lacking. Oh, and did I mention that if you don't "pass" this interview you will be blacklisted from Stryker? The interview itself is ambiguous and very open to interpretation. Prior to taking the Gallup interview you're told to include all aspects of your life when answering the questions, which I think might be part of the problem, at least for me. I'm a different person at work than at home, as many people are. So when I'm asked whether I like to stay busy all the time, the answer for that is no, because at home I prefer to be low key and relax with my family. Strictly related to work, absolutely, being busy passes the time and I get a bit of a thrill from the stress of keeping things in line. That's the kind of thing that will trip you up, if you are like me. My advice is to not relate the questions to your home life at all if you are the kind of person who has a different "style" at work versus at home, like I do. Basically, they are looking for Type A employees, which is fine. Answer the questions like a Type A would and you'll move on to the next portion of the interview, and you'll likely circumvent this metric. Meeting people in person, getting a feel for the group, those things should carry more weight than what amounts to the professional version of a quiz in a magazine. They claim this metric works (I'm sure they believe this to be true), but I'm wondering how they are quantifying the missed opportunities? The HR woman agreed that there are low performers even with this metric in place, so I'd be curious to find out what professional performance would be if they hired someone who had "failed" this interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone screens were about a half hour each and centered around skills and experience, and concrete examples of where/how they've been used.   Answer Question