Stryker Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 16, 2015

3.2

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ).

Interview

It took over 6 months to get the job at Stryker. The HR Department is so SLOW - then you go onsite for an interview - wait a month go back again wait a month - it took FOREVER!!!! Then one day I went and had to interview with 5 people - one at a time in a small conference room - HORRIBLE. That's just for a coordinator job - not cool

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - they don't tell you what they are offering until you go thru the whole interview process - they said what they were offering - take it or leave it.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks from start to finish. It began with a screening call with HR, then the hiring manager, and two more phone screens before they set me up for their revered Gallup interview. The phone screens went great, in the standard question and answer format, discussing skills and experience. I felt like the group would be a good fit as well as the job, and even got a bit informal with one of the interviewers while discussing some of the issues this particular job would encounter. However, their Gallup pole, their "main indicator of success," completely inaccurately represented me as an applicant, so it's hard not to be bitter about something that is a go/no-go metric when it gets you wrong and eliminates you from candidacy. As an example, this personality test came back saying my "type" prefers working as part of a group (nope) and I don't like telling people what to do or being a leader (I actually laughed at this when I was told, because that could not be further from the truth). I was honestly surprised and spent a good deal of time examining myself after hanging up the phone before coming to the same conclusion I told the HR woman in the first place: a metric like this, trying to shove people into boxes, is a poor metric. There will always be outliers, there will always be people who lie on these things to move forward, there will always be non-performers even though the test tells you they will be awesome. The best indicator of success should be past performance, and it seems like they rely inordinately on this Gallup poll, which is unfortunate. In the same way applicant tracking systems weed out good employees who don't list enough buzzwords on their resume, this poll is lacking. Oh, and did I mention that if you don't "pass" this interview you will be blacklisted from Stryker? The interview itself is ambiguous and very open to interpretation. Prior to taking the Gallup interview you're told to include all aspects of your life when answering the questions, which I think might be part of the problem, at least for me. I'm a different person at work than at home, as many people are. So when I'm asked whether I like to stay busy all the time, the answer for that is no, because at home I prefer to be low key and relax with my family. Strictly related to work, absolutely, being busy passes the time and I get a bit of a thrill from the stress of keeping things in line. That's the kind of thing that will trip you up, if you are like me. My advice is to not relate the questions to your home life at all if you are the kind of person who has a different "style" at work versus at home, like I do. Basically, they are looking for Type A employees, which is fine. Answer the questions like a Type A would and you'll move on to the next portion of the interview, and you'll likely circumvent this metric. Meeting people in person, getting a feel for the group, those things should carry more weight than what amounts to the professional version of a quiz in a magazine. They claim this metric works (I'm sure they believe this to be true), but I'm wondering how they are quantifying the missed opportunities? The HR woman agreed that there are low performers even with this metric in place, so I'd be curious to find out what professional performance would be if they hired someone who had "failed" this interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone screens were about a half hour each and centered around skills and experience, and concrete examples of where/how they've been used.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ).

Interview

Pass the Gallup, you can download a copy of the questions on Scribd.com - they were almost exactly the same questions. Answer them honestly, but having them beforehand helps you self-reflect. Everyone was really nice and professional. Once you get past the Gallup they are surprisingly lax on the interviews, not as much grilling as I've had in my career. This position is not a Product Marketing position - it's a glorified sales support position. Be sure to ask lots of questions about basic marketing functions like determining and implementing strategies, decision making processes on new product launches, etc - you will uncover that "product manager" at Stryker means "field sales support." Be sure you ask a lot of questions and get to the bottom of what the position entails - I probed a lot and found this isn't a marketing or product management position at all despite what the job description says!!!!

Interview Questions

• Gallup questions weren't really hard, but just have lots of examples of behaviors. Actual interviews are quite easy - know the products and industry and why you want to work there.   Answer Question

Senior Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ).

Interview

I submitted my resume through Stryker's careers website. I was contacted by the HR rep and scheduled a 30 minute phone screening. Afterward, I had another 30 minute phone screen with another engineer. Then, I scheduled and took the infamous Gallup test and "passed" that. I went for an onsite interview in which I saw numerous senior level managers/engineers, each on a one on one basis for 30 minutes each. My only criticism of the experience is their poor post interview communication.

Interview Questions

• Design a surgical tool that can tighten screws used to secure an acetabular shell during surgery.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ) in April 2014.

Interview

Intense, but well executed process: First interview-phone-with recruiter (20 min) Second interview-in person-with hiring manager plus 4 team managers (4 hours) Third interview-phone-Gallup interview done by 3rd party (1 hour) Fourth interview-in person-with hiring manager plus 2 different team managers (2 hours)

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you demonstrated common sense.   Answer Question
    • Do you love to win or hate to lose?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you demonstrated generosity to someone last week?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you are able to persuade people to agree with your point of view   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ).

Interview

Company relies heavily upon the Gallup phone interview and screening process. The Gallup phone interview can take up to 2 hours and inquires about specific situations whether it be from your personal or professional life and how you handled/overcame each one. There is no right or wrong answer but based on your feedback they are able to assess whether you will be a good fit for the organization. The advice provided to me by the hiring manager for each of my examples was to say that I 'always' went above and beyond, 'always' stayed late, 'always' took on new projects, 'always' a team player...

Interview Questions

• Please tell me a time in your personal/professional life where you had to overcome adversity and how has that made you a stronger individual?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Once an offer was extended I only dealt with Human Resources (Talent Acquisition) from that point on and negotiated my salary and sign-on bonus with them.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ) in March 2014.

Interview

I had interned at Stryker and applied to a few full-time positions prior to my graduation date. I got an email within a week or two from HR asking when to schedule a phone interview for a particular position, and I responded promptly with dates and times. After this, I never received a response. I politely followed up twice over the course of two weeks, until I finally got a rejection letter with never having interviewed. It was very strange and unprofessional. I can actually see that now, two months later, the position has not been filled, so I am assuming someone at Stryker did not want me to work there based on my internship. This is fine, but it is still not right that HR would contact me in the first place, then never gave me the time of day.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview with Recruiter, Phone Interview with Team and then Skype interview. Very behavioral based questions, not to heavy on technical skills. Very easy and open about each step in the interview process and heard back in a reasonable amount of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had multiple priorities and how you handled that?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middletown, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stryker (Middletown, NJ).

Interview

Interviewed initially with sales manager and area director simultaneously. Was asked a few questions about my sales style, approach and experience then they took turns for 30-40 minutes telling me why Stryker was better than the competition. Received a call 3 hours later to schedule a ride-along with sales rep. "Ride-along" ended up being a 30 minute interview *to which they arrived 30 mins late* with the two aforementioned employees and the sales rep. They collectively did all the talking. Received a call later that day to tell me I was the person and I merely had to interview with the VP the following week. VP interview went well. Took Gallup two weeks later. Gallup folks told me my results would be in the hands of my hiring manager with 48 hours and I should follow up with hiring manager. For some reason, however, my hiring manager told me 3 days later, a week later and two weeks later that my results had yet to arrive. At the one week point I didnt feel I was being dealt with honestly and continued my search elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What has been the most challenging point of your career thus far?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Stryker (Mahwah, NJ) in January 2014.

Interview

Stryker puts their candidates through the ringer. I interviewed with more than 20 people before they told me that I didn't get the job. I interviewed for 3 different jobs at the company and it was a non-stop interview process that lasted months. I also had to do a group presentation.