Stryker

Relevance Date Difficulty

Digital Marketing Coordinator Interview

Digital Marketing Coordinator
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Stryker in May 2014.

Interview Details – everyone tells you (even stryker employees) that the process takes forever. THEY ARENT EXAGGERATING. the stryker application and interview process is a huge headache and one that doesnt make any sense from an outside perspective. but when you meet the Styker person you'll realize it works- everyone is great

Interview Question – all questions are very basic and just ask about your work ethic and personality. be honest-- stryker is all about culture fit.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – realized that this was not the industry for me

Very Difficult Interview

Contractor Technical Writer Interview

Contractor Technical Writer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stryker in March 2011.

Interview Details – Multiple phone screens including psychological quizzes. A real labyirnthine to overcome before actually talking to a hiring mgr.

Interview Question – Multiple "Personality Testing for Psychological Fitness" questions from a contractor who could've cared less.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Stryker in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview:
I could tell the person was just reading questions and then typing my answers into a computer for later use. It was not very engaging.

Interview Question – Name an instance in which you solved an engineering related problem and how you went about doing it. Straight forward enough but I guess I was just caught off guard from hearing key strokes in the background.   Answer Question

Senior Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Senior Manufacturing Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stryker.

Interview Details – I got referred to HR thru a friend of mine. The first step was a phone interview with HR. Then about a week after that I had to do an hour or less Gallup assessment. The assessment is used to determine if you will fit in their culture. I then got called for a F2F interview with directors and SR managers; I interviewed with 6 people, was an all day affair. Few days after that I was asked to come back and interview with people I would be working with, again to gauge your personality. The whole process took about a month.

Interview Question – The questions were a mixed of technical and behavioral questions so be prepared for both.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was pretty easy for me to negotiate since I already had work experience.

R&D Intern Interview

R&D Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Stryker.

Interview Details – Met at career fair at school. Got a call to have an on campus interview which lasted 1hour. It was basically a behavioral analysis test. Then after that I was emailed that I was selected to move further through the process which led to a Gallup phone interview. It is a 1 hour phone interview where they ask you an infinite amount of hypothetical questions to see what kind of person you are. The most successful are Type A people so try and sound like that. After that I was asked to meet at Stryker for a whole day interview with 13 different engineers.

Interview Question – Gallup was very strenuous. Would ask questions like what would you do if... or how would you consider yourself when it comes to...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Difficult Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Stryker in February 2011.

Interview Details – "The Gauntlet" as they call it begins with a phone interview, typically, followed by a personality screening, and then an in-house interview. It's easy enough to look up the expected questions and answers they are looking for, but if you fake your way in you will likely not mesh with the company culture and will want to pull your hair out. The interview process is seeking out talented people - you need not have experience in medical devices or extensive knowledge on the company's background (just the basics to show you did your research).

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness? (Always a toughie, but I was asked to reanswer after my first response was deemed not good enough!)   Answer Question

IT Program Manager Interview

IT Program Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Stryker in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by recruiter a week later.

Recruiter validated my experience fit the job description and asked basic questions to understand why I wanted to work at Stryker.

Next was the Gallup interview to validate you fit the type of individuals the company is looking for.

Next was an online video interview with hiring manager due to location. I was then flown in to interview with two senior executives for two hours in December. I was then phone interviewed by another senior executive in January and finally another web interview in February.

They take their time interviewing candidates to ensure everyone is comfortable with a consensus decision but it was worth the wait as I accepted their offer to join them.

Interview Question – Explain how you would get buy-in from various business units with different agendas without impacting the project time line?   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Stryker in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online originally but was denied. Had a friend who worked there submit resume and then was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was simple and went over my resume and past experiences. After this was told by HR that I would be contacted my a manager to have another phone interview. A week went by and never heard from said manager so I emailed HR person. Said Gallup test wast actually next. Seven days later sent me a link to set up my own Gallup time.

I wont go into detail about Gallup since a lot is written about this here. Just don't sell yourself shot, channel the inner type-A person while remaining true to yourself.

A few days after taking the Gallup I was contacted by my HR person and informed that I fit into the personality type for marketing associate and a materials roles (entry level positions are business planner and purchasing analyst). Both of these roles are in the operations department. She informed me they would like to bring me in to interview for all these roles. After this it took another week to get contacted by someone from the "candidate care specialist team" to set up an interview date.

The day before the onsite interview I was sent a schedule of my interview for the day. It involved eight 30 minute interviews with people from both marketing and operations departments, ranging from low level managers to executive directors. Spent the day looking up these people on Linkedin to get some basic info on them.

Day of interview I arrived at Stryker and checked in at lobby. They made me feel very welcome by putting my name on a TV panel in the waiting area. Girl from HR met me and explained the day and took me to my first interview. Interviews are very quick, 30 minute flies by when you need to go over a resume, build rapport, ask questions and be walked to your next one. Often people were not in there office for my interview so the person I talked to last was on the hook for finding them or they just sent me back to the HR department to wait.

After 4 interviews I had lunch with 2 recent graduates working in similar roles I was interviewing for. This was more laid back, but I found it hard to relax completely with the rapid pace of the whole day. 3 more interviews after lunch, then a phone interview with someone from HR who was offsite.

Three days later I was called back by my initial HR contact and said they could not extend me an offer because I did not give enough concrete examples in building a cross functional relationships to be considered.

Overall I had a positive experience interviewing even though I was not offered a job. The process was slow at times, which I can understand being a large corporation. Everyone as friendly along the way.

Interview Question – 1. Tell me about the best team you ever worked with?
2. What sets you apart from other candidates we are going to interview?
  Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
San Jose, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Stryker.

Interview Details – The interview process was intense, but it makes sense why the company is incredible successful and an industry leader. Be prepared to meet with several people and have your resume / background torn apart for accuracy.

Interview Question – What would your friends or those closest to you say that you are not good at?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be sure to look up the people you will interview with on LinkedIn if they give you a list. Know their backgrounds.

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
San Jose, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Stryker in June 2012.

Interview Details – I first heard from their H.R. department (later it turned out there's a separate Candidate support role, too). That conversation went well, and led me to the Stryker-focused Gallup poll. I found this somewhat uncomfortable (it's a phone interview, took me about 40 minutes, trying to ascertain your service, assertiveness, and passion, and then ask for specific examples, basically), Which I passed; I guess about 10% of people pass, at least for the Endoscopy department.

From there, I've gone through two rounds of in person interviews; several individual interviews each time. Met twice with the head of Technical Publications. He had lots of standard questions, and gave me a manual to look at and give opinions on, which I thought was a good tactic.

I liked pretty much everyone I spoke with! Everyone seems involved, and likes to work there, and likes the people there. Some are practically evangelists for the company, which was a bit disconcerting.

Second round I met more people outside the writing group; regulatory, engineering management, etc. Only slight glitch was the head of engineering was a bit offended I hadn't worn a suit (which was on the advice of friends; I don't think anyone else I interviewed with even noticed).

At this point, I am waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!