Subsea 7

Very Easy Interview

Senior Logistic Supervisor Interview

Senior Logistic Supervisor
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Subsea 7 in September 2013.

Interview Details – It was not an interview process, they hired me on the spot

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Subsea 7 in March 2011.

Interview Details – As an engineering student I was interested in the oil and gas industry, but getting through to the big companies always poses a big challenge. So the initial contact was made through somebody I knew in the company, who then asked me for my CV and cover letter. After sending them my information I received an email from an engineering manager that asked me to come to the office for a series of interviews.

I had a series of 3 interviews, all of which weren't very difficult, just getting to know more about me and what was on my CV. They asked about previous work experience and where I saw myself in 5 years.

Interview Question – What do you look for when you are building a team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated when I would start and finish. Flexible scheduling.

Engineer I Interview

Engineer I
Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Subsea 7 in February 2013.

Interview Details – Had interview with one of the technical managers of the company. Asked some basic questions on Pipes, NDT and Materials for subsea application. Asked about various materials to be used for subsea applications.
Asked about salary requirements, current salary etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?
Where do you see yourself five years from now?
Where do you see yourself ten years from now and why?
If your current company counters our offer by offering you better, will you still join us?
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Cost Engineer Interview

Cost Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Subsea 7 in April 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed in Houston. The H.R. personnel were very accommodating, however, the management personnel who interviewed me were extremely lacking in their command of the English language. One was very arrogant, and used "in-house" anachronyms and formula nicknames which were very esoteric to Subsea7, and not well known in the industry.

Interview Question – I cannot remember, but it related to the Subsea7 definition of Earned Value - because Subsea&'s cost are mostly from in-house equipment and vessel rentals. They even charge customers for their own demurrage.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer-Graduate Programmer, Aberdeen Interview

Graduate Engineer-Graduate Programmer, Aberdeen
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Subsea 7 in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and no interview was carried out before the assessment centre day.
The assessment day is held at Subsea7 office in Aberdeen. It is a really beautiful campus and the facilities are outstanding.

Interview Question – There is first a presentation about the company and how the day is going to be divided. They split us into gruop of 8.
I had first a face to face interview with one person from HR and the possible future team leader/ manager. Before the assessment day I was asked to prepare a 15 minutes presentation about my final year project and potential opportunities for the Oil&Gas market and Subsea7. If you are invited to the assessment day, you will receive information about it
Anyway, for the possibilities of SS7 focus a lot on how they will affect SS7´s values.
I was a bit disappointed cause no questions were asked on the presentation. They probably just want to see your presentations skills.
The interview was followed by approx. 1 hour presonality question.
Describe a situation where you had to use your technical skills.
Describe a situation where you led as an example.
Describe a situation where you overcame a technical challenge.
Describe a situation where you act as a leader.
Basically all the classical behavioural question and some questions about how you take decisions and plan.
After this I had a group exercise were we have to plan a route to extract as much gold as possible. It is a bit tricky and the difficult thing is to coordinate a group of 8 people. They look if you have leadership personalities and you are able to cooperate (more important).
After this we had a technical questionaire about Oil&Gas activities. Example of questions were:
-which factor should be considered during laying of flexible pipes-
-which factor to take into consideration when choosing the materials for a flexible pipe
Everything is related to design and you should focus on safety and costs beyond a bit of technical knowledge. The more you know about pipe design, the better :)
That is it!
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got another graduate programme

Vessel Superintendent Interview

Vessel Superintendent
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Subsea 7 in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initial interview on site with HR and new manager, very convivial and friendly; I found it easy, nothing difficult, but I enjoy talking about myself, knew I was qualified, experienced and had done a lot of research and preparation, (who wouldn't?). This was followed by an informal interview one to one with the next level of management.

Interview Question – 1 question on Classification Societies, but I was able to cover it. No trick questions; on reflection, as I'm trained in interviewing and did a few years selection interviewing, I thought the panel did too much telling/selling and not enough quizzing me and I had to find ways of dropping in my skills, experience and evidence that I'd thoroughly prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had a guaranteed promotion at existing job with a new bonus scheme, so I was able to ask for that. I negotiated up twice on salary, but only got 1 escalation, but also ago car allowance. There is a superb benefits scheme, salary sacrifice, industry leading pension etc

Graduate Engineer (GEDS) Interview

Graduate Engineer (GEDS)
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Subsea 7.

Interview Details – One interview with 2 team leaders and a HR lady.
Questions were general behavioral type (tell me about yourself, previous internships, final year project etc).
Lasted about 45 minutes.
No technical questions.

Received an offer within a week but declined due to better offer elsewhere.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unusual .   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere.

Human Resources Adviser Interview

Human Resources Adviser

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Subsea 7.

Interview Details – Internal Recruiter contacted me. First interview with manager and recruiter followed up by senior manager. Scenario based questions as well as CV discussion

Interview Question – Scenario regarding need for mediation and also long term sick question relating to work place depression   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Subsea 7 in February 2013.

Interview Details – Firstly was a CV and cover letter with some questions to answer online. Then I received an invitation to an assessment centre which consisted of a group task, interview and technical questionnaire. Day was made to feel relaxed and not to much pressure put on me. Everyone was friendly and was impressed by facilities.

Interview Question – Technical Questionnaire had nothing to trip you up but you had to use your engineering knowledge to answer and just to think about the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Call of offer and told about benefits.

Commercial Graduate Interview

Commercial Graduate
Paris (France)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Subsea 7.

Interview Details – Two interviews; first with the recruitment manager/HR advisor, the second with the manager for the business division I had applied to. Nothing too unexpected, but they were very interested in finding out in great detail, why I wanted to work for them, what my career aspirations were, and generally making sure that I would commit to the company in the long term.

Interview Question – Why do you want to live in France?   Answer Question

Worked for Subsea 7? Contribute to the Community!