Suburban Collection

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lube Tech Interview

Lube Tech
Novi, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Suburban Collection in November 2009.

Interview Details – Got the interview over the phone

Interview Question – Always the Question on the up &up no bull.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Personal ,

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Suburban Collection.

Interview Details – Briefly spoke with the HR Mgr/recruiter. We reviewed my resume and the minimum qualifications. She emailed me a link to take an online test. A few days later she called me and scheduled an interview with the Sales Manager. Interviewed with him and another manager (which I didn't know about in advance)

Interview Question – None-pretty standard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one. I either accepted or declined.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

Interviewed at Suburban Collection

Interview Details – Very poorly done. Be prepared to answer questions about your family and more private things. Run, don't walk away from this interview. There are better dealerships to work for out there. Or different industries. You do not want to work here. The EEOC needs to investigate this place. I do not know how they have stayed in business as long as they have

Interview Question – let me talk to your buddies to see if I should hire you   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Internet Sales Position Interview

Internet Sales Position
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Suburban Collection in July 2013.

Interview Details – This was a horrible interview, no doubt about it. Before an interview, I make it a habit to study a company's website for their history and company culture. My goal is to "get into the head" of the company I'm applying for so that I may show a clear understanding of the company's values and culture. I then take what I've learned and compile a list of valid questions regarding the company and the position in-question, not only so that I can continue to learn more about the company, but also to show just how much interest I have in working for them. I want to show them I'm the right fit for the position, know what they're looking for, and possess all of the qualities sought. When we got to the interview, it basically consisted of the Human Resources Manager asking me some of the most basic questions one could ask over the phone(why I left my previous position and if I could pass a drug test). Not once did the individual ever delve into detailing the position, nor did she even discuss anything remotely similar to what you would consider company culture, its history, etc. I was given the opportunity to answer these basic questions, which felt like they were being read from a script, and then it was on to the next one. The entire interview was rushed.
    To go back to my research, I had compiled many different questions that I wanted to ask about company culture and details of the job position. I felt that if I could ask just a few of them, it would aid me greatly. But, as one could guess, I wouldn't be given that opportunity. As soon as the interviewer had finished what she was saying, she cut the conversation short and ended the call. "I’ll transfer your info to the location hiring manager and it's up to them to bring you in. But I will contact you either way," is what she said before swiftly hanging up. After just 14 minutes of being prodded with questions that had no real relation to the position itself; questions that, no matter how great my answers could've been, wouldn't have showcased why I was the right choice, the call was over. In no way could that provide anyone with adequate time to showcase their strengths and why they should be the choice for the position.
    I was disappointed once it ended, as I came away with none of the information I sought to gather. I was sad because I wasn’t given the platform to showcase my skill-set and Sales expertise. As fate would have it, I would receive a rejection notice from this interviewer via CareerBuilder.com roughly 14 hours later, stating that I had not been selected to move forward. What I just wrote was putting it mildly, as the rejection email itself was littered with grammatical errors. To be blunt, it was loaded with misspelled words and looked to have been put together by someone with the written comprehension of a 10-year old. I don't mean to degrade the individual that wrote it, but it was hard to take seriously coming from someone who couldn't even spell the simplest of words correctly. This was supposed to be a professional email, thanking me for my interest but letting me know I wasn't selected? The unprofessionalism was a bit of a slap in the face.
    A couple days after being rejected, I emailed the interviewer to thank her for the opportunity for the screening. As politely as I could then say it, I asked if there were any tips or suggestions she could give me to become a more effective interviewee in the future. I'm always trying to become the best interviewee I can be, so I welcomed criticism because, as an adult and needing a stable job to take of myself and my family, any tips to better improve so that I land a job in the future are things that I would be grateful for. Learning from previous mistakes and being open to criticism are things that more people should embrace, so I take every opportunity to continue learning and growing. These are answers that I value so much because holding a job is essential to living when we're adults. We have to be the best interviewees we can be because, without a job, it's easy to assume that many of us couldn't survive. My email was never replied to. I lost a ton of respect for this company after the sheer laziness of the interviewer, and caution anyone that ends up interviewing for a position with this company. I'm not upset that I wasn't picked to move forward in the process, but I am upset with the way the interviewer handled herself and the cowardice shown in avoiding an email asking for any tips that a seasoned, veteran Human Resources Manager like herself could give to young individuals like me on becoming more efficient during the interview process. It’s simply deplorable that someone in that position could display such unprofessionalism, and it’s a testament to the type of employee this company finds suitable. With that said, it’s a true blessing in disguise that I wasn’t chosen, as I wouldn’t want to work for a company whose representatives show a distinct lack of class.

Sale & Leasing Consultant Interview

Sale & Leasing Consultant
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Suburban Collection in January 2010.

Interview Details – Process lasts one day and includes a personality test. With the test, they are looking for a strong personality that isn't afraid to approach or influence people. An obvious requirement to sell cars.

Interview Question – Why do you want to sell cars?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, commission sales...everyone is paid based on performance.

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Suburban Collection in July 2011.

Interview Details – I saw an ad on careerbuilder.com. Although I was new to the automotive field, I did have substantial experience with technical sales. I was able to secure an interview quickly; within the next two days. I walked away quite impressed after that initial meeting with the sales manager. She was professional, personable, experienced in the industry, and just had that intangible factor which makes one certain of a harmonious professional working relationship between manager/employee. I really liked management, and the sales training was very good. I was given the resources to do a great job here.

Interview Question – Why would you excel at this position seeing as you have not sold vehicles before?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the offer was pretty straightforward. standard for all

Worked for Suburban Collection? Contribute to the Community!