Success Academy Charter Schools

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.1

Associate Teacher Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview began with a video about Success Academy. Then we were able to share our personal items that we were asked to bring. Did a teach back on a poem called "Keepsake", were critiqued on our teaching and then taught the lesson again. One-on-one short interview afterwards where we went over my interview.

Education Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

I applied for a position online and was offered an in-person interview about a week later. The recruiter was very accommodating regarding an interview date given my availability. I was given trial activities to prepare prior to the interview. The interview itself wasn't too difficult - questions about why I wanted to work for Success Academy and standard behavioral/experience questions. The most difficult part of the interview was discussing the trial activities. The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes. I was then contacted for a second interview about a week later. The second interview was with the school principal and an education manager at the school I would potentially work in. I was asked standard behavior questions, as well as a few questions regarding the trial activities. This interview also lasted about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose this position in particular?
      Why did you decide on this position rather than a teaching position?

Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in November 2014.

I submitted an online application along with my resume and cover letter and received an inquiry email a few months later. I was invited to attend a group interview at the new main office which is in the financial district in Manhattan. There are several other reviews of this interview process here on glassdoor and the one I experienced was much the same. There were 6 of us in my interview group and we were taken to a conference room for the majority of the interview. First, we were told to bring an item of "personal significance" and we went around the table introducing ourselves and our items. We were then given the Success sales pitch (of a kind) and the history of the school, which you should know before going into the interview. There were recruitment coordinators that facilitated the rest of the interview as well as two others who were observing and came and went throughout.

Next, we were given a poem titles "Keepsake" and one of the coordinators ran us through it and we unpacked its literal and deeper meaning much like they would like you to do in a class at the school. This took maybe 25 minutes and we were given a short break to use the restroom and have a breather. After the break we conducted a short planning session and then had 10 minutes to prepare a 3 minute teach back about the poem. Each person then conducted their teach back and had to incorporate the feedback that each previous person received into their demo. So, the last person needs to be paying attention and try their best not to repeat the mistakes of the people before them. Once we finished our teach backs we had 5 minutes to prepare a 1 minute teach back focusing on one item of direct feedback or something you heard them say to someone else. You had to specify what it was you were going to work on and then immediately do your demo.

What I liked about it is that they also immediately have you reflect on your teach back and let you say what you did well and could do better next time before they give you their feedback. I have worked overseas for many years as a teacher/trainer and these people are the real McCoy; they know their stuff.

Once we finished the teach back section of the interview we were given two writing prompts: one about organization and another about a time we had failed. While we wrote our answers the coordinators came and plucked us out one by one to have some one on one time. There were no big surprises during this section and if you've prepared some answers to common interview questions you should be fine. Keep in mind why exactly you want to work for their school in particular.

I got a call back two days after the interview with an offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • What makes Success Academy Charter stand out from other charter schools in New York?   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

I arrived at the headquarters at 9:45am. The group interview began around 10:15am. I was impressed by the Personalized name tags they had placed at the table. We told for first introduce ourselves and a special item we cherished. After going around the table we then watched two video clips on teaching strategies used at the school. After the presentation we were given the Poem Keepsake to read, and to develop questions like the teachers displayed in the videos.

Interview Questions
    Very quick... I received a call the next day

ICT Interview

Sent in a resume and a brief statement online through their company website. I received an email from HR looking to set up a phone interview pretty soon after. Got a call from one of the team members and they asked me basic questions about my resume and what experience I had with macs, imaging, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. There were definitely no trick questions. They just want to gauge your experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in November 2014.

I did not receive a phone interview, although several others did. I simply received an e-mail stating that we would be going over a poem and to bring an item of importance and a positive attitude. We waited in the lobby for twenty minutes and was brought into a VERY hot conference room. There was about seven other candidates. They had us use our items as ice breakers and tell each other about the item. We then watched two videos that demonstrated the teaching style at SA, and how students are expected to be prepared when cold calling. We processed the poem Keepsake, (from the book Honey I Love), and went through it line by line deciphering who the characters were, who was the speaker, how do we know who the narrator was (citing textual evidence), what the relationship between the characters were, how do we know, what the relationship between the narrator and the sweet little ginger bread girl (they want you to use the entire title the whole time) and Mrs. Williams was, and how do we know this, and the deeper meaning behind the poem. Be prepared to have questions that are IDENTICAL to everyone else's if you want this job. (Also, if you do anything that reflects actual research based strategies like making text-to-self or text-to-text connections you won't get the position.) You will have ten minutes to prepare your lesson to everyone and only three minutes to present it. You will be asked to reflect on how you did, and what worked, what didn't. Then you will be given immediate feedback on what you should improve on. You are then given three minutes to update your lesson, they step out of the room, and you are given one minute to "fix" your lesson. We were then plucked out one by one while filling out a written essay for a one-on-one or two interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you have failed at something, and how you learned from that failure. The other written question was, how do you manage everything on your plate as a teacher.   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

Group interview..everyone was very friendly and they asked alot of questions of how good you were at being organized. High stress environment at work but great outcome. Don't be thrown off at all of their typing they have lots of work to get through but they are still paying attention

Education Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

All of my interview process was done remotely via the phone and skype. I had a 15 min phone interview to start out with, which happened about 2 weeks after I submitted my resume and cover letters. I continued on with the process about 2 weeks later with 3 at home activities followed up by a 30 minute Skype interview with 2 employees. The activities were similar to work that would be done in the position. I utilized many Microsoft Office skills to work through them. They took well over 3 hours to complete. I was contacted about a week later and extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The activities were the most difficult part of the interview process. They all had small intricacies that wouldn't necessarily be noticed if you didn't put a lot of time in to the process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Process took 2 weeks. Called in for group interview with about 15 others, and we were split into two groups after a short presentation about the schools by the two recruiters. My recruiter had us read a poem called Keepsake which is for second graders. We discusses its theme and deeper meaning, and then presented it individually as a Teach Back. With regards to openings, recruiter said there was "virtually no competition" and they would be hiring "many" for the Associate Teacher role. I thought it went well and have a teaching background, but found out otherwise with a generic email sent by another recruiter who told me that they had a limited number of positions to fill, will keep my application on file, blah blah blah. I am very disappointed.

One thing I will add is that my recruiter was nearly impossible to reach; when I had to contact her to reschedule my initial interview and left a voicemail, she called 3 days later and asked if I could make the interview. Does she check her messages? I am also displeased with her promise to all of us in the group that we could always contact her with questions. If you're going to make a statement, stick to your words. Unless she just had a bias towards me and checked my number before answering, which is completely unprofessional!

Interview Questions
    • No questions, but we were asked to say some things about ourselves at the beginning. She typed on her Mac Pro the whole time, which was very distracting and took away from her actively listening.   Answer Question

School Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

There was a phone interview, followed by an invitation to a group interview. We were given an assignment to complete before the group interview. The group interview consisted of a case study, which we completed in teams, presentations, and speed-dating interview rounds with employees from the Network.

Interview Questions
    • Case study pertaining to position we were applying for   Answer Question