Success Academy Charter Schools Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

First interview was over the phone and very short, asked about past experiences and just about myself. Had an email offer for a scheduled skype interview the following week the same day. Also asked about a situation I was in where I had to come up with a solution to a problem.

Education Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

I found the opening both on the website and through a friend's referral. Once I submitted my resume and initial email, I got a response within hours instructing me complete a few pre-work assignments before an individual interview the following week. The interview started in a small group, and then each candidate got an individual interview before we left. I found out by the end of that day that I had been offered a position. The entire process took about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions: Best and worst trait, how my experiences would make me good for the position, one time I had dealt with conflict at work and the outcome. There were also questions about the pre-work that I submitted before my in-person interview. You definitely had to think about your answers, but there were no trick questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took about 2 weeks. I applied, was invited for a Skype interview with the department I had applied for. The interview lasted about a half hour. The person I interviewed with mostly asked standard interview questions, and then presented me with some hypothetical situations. Received an offer within 3 business days of the interview.

Curriculum Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

After applying online, I participated in a phone screen. I was invited to an in-person interview within a day of the phone screen. The in-person interview was run by two women, but it was unclear to me how their roles were related to the position in question.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers had absolutely no interest in hearing about my work experience or accomplishments. One, in particular, seemed most interested in asking me about each of my current and former employers and her style of questioning made me feel like she was convinced I was being dishonest and she was trying to catch me in a lie. These two women could not tell me what they were looking for in a candidate, nor could they articulate a clear vision for instruction at their middle schools.   View Answer

Physical Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in February 2015.

Interview process was horrible. Worst professional business I have ever seen. Took weeks to interview after first phone interview. Went to school to do demo lesson. They did not tell me I didn't have a gym. I had to do a physical education demo lesson inside a classroom smaller then a bedroom. Terrible situation. Recruiter has no idea they didn't have a gym. Do not work for company they are extremely lost. Now I see why so many people quit.

Teaching Fellow Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

I applied online and received an email asking me to attend a group interview a few days later. For the interview, they asked us to bring an item of personal significance to share with the group during introductions. After the introductions, we listened to a powerpoint presentation about the program and the school and had an opportunity to ask questions. We then discussed a short poem, focusing on how to pull out relevant information and strategies to teach it. After a quick break, we were given 5 minutes to plan a brief teach back. After everyone's teach back, we were asked to fill out 2 short answer questions and taken for individual interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard, with a focus on teaching, their mission, and specifics about their schools.   Answer Question

Business Operations Manager Interview

The day was a group interview followed by two individual interviews. Group problem-solving activity and presentation. So much down time, though. Could have been done 3x faster. Interviewers were nice and nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to manage an underperforming team member.   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

I applied online and a few days later I was contactedvia email for a phone interview. The pho neinterview was pretty brief and straight forward. I then made it to the next round which was a group interview. They prepare you by emailing the details and a case study pertaining to your position. The day of the interview I had a school tour, and meet with people who are interviewing for like positions. When presenting the case study, I presented with a group and also got asked questions from the various employees that are on site. After the group interview, I interviewed 1:1 with a few other individuals speed dating style, if that makes sense. Personally, I enjoyed it that way. Overall, I enjoyed the experience and a few days later I was offered the position through a recruiter.

The position conflicted with school. If it wasn't for that I would have definitely accepted. I do plan on reapplying in the future.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in January 2015.

Literally the same process described before. Group interviews have no creativity. Just repeating the same thing. They ended up not choosing any of us. Shame too because we were all great.

Winter 2015 STEM Teaching Fellows Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in December 2014.

After applying to the program, I heard back from Success in just a week - I received an email asking me to come in for a group interview at their office on Wall Street. The email asked that I bring an "object of personal significance" to talk about, plus a pen, paper, and a good attitude.

The day of my interview, I was let in by the security guard, and made my way upstairs to the sixth floor. Their office was beautiful, and everyone was very friendly. Only two other individuals were in my interview group, plus two interviewers. One interviewer sat at the head of the table and did all the talking, while the other interviewer observed and took notes on her laptop. We were asked one-by-one to talk about who our favorite teachers were - and then we were asked to talk about the object that we brought with us that day.

After these initial introductions, the interviewers explained the mission of Success Academy and showed us a brief slideshow and some videos. We were then given a sample lesson plan - it was a lesson on how to measure the mass of crayfish - and were given 15 minutes to review the lesson and prepare our own. The three of us worked together as a group and helped each other. Then, after 15 minutes, the interviewers asked that we each get up in front of the group and present our lesson on measuring the mass of crayfish. After our presentation, we were critiqued, and then asked what we thought we did well, and what we thought we could have done better. After everyone gave their lesson, we were asked to present the lesson yet again - this time, with improvements.

After this, we were given two writing prompts. One asked us to describe a time we had failed, and the other asked us to explain how we manage our time. While we were working on our writing prompts, each of us was pulled out one-by-one to have a one-on-two interview with the two interviewers. It was then that I got to discuss who I really was, and to really show them how excited I was for this job opportunity. I found that everything went very smoothly.

Once I was finished with the private part of the interview and my writing prompts, I was free to go. The entire process took over three hours.

Interview Questions
    I received a phone call from the woman who interviewed me only a few days after my interview. She formally offered me a job at Success Academy and explained my starting salary - $46,000 a year to start, plus benefits and a free masters degree. I accepted the offer right on the phone without further negotiation.