Success Academy Charter Schools Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

Teacher Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

I had an in person group interview. We had to participate in a teach back activity based on a novel. We also had to answer questions about ourselves and our preference about where we wanted to work. At the end we had a formal interview one on one with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to do something challenging.   1 Answer

ICT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

Fairly straight forward. Normal questions and a few technical about it support. The interviewer was very nice about the interview. The interview was over skype. I was told i would hear back in a week but I was offered the job right away on the same day.

Summer Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I originally applied online for the lead teacher position at the end of March but was told I did not meet the qualifications 2 weeks later. However, I was offered a group interview for the summer teaching fellowship.

We were told to bring an item of personal significance and be prepared to present in front of the group. There were about 10 of us and the whole process ran from 9am to 2pm. We began by introducing our objects. Then we spent sometime watching Success teachers in action and discussing what we saw. We then each took turns conducting a teach back focusing on a book excerpt. We were given feedback about our lessons then took a short break. After the break we were given a poem to analyze independently, while the interviewers took people out for 1 on 1 interviews. We were allowed to leave as soon as we finished.

I interviewed on a Tuesday and received an offer that Sunday.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to become a teacher?

What do you think will be the hardest adjustment working for Success Academy?

How do you feel about the extended day? Do you have any concerns?

Answer Question

STEM Teaching Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

1 minute talk about yourself and your personal item. Then you have to teach 3 minutes about the mass of crayfish. They will give you positive and negative feedback afterwards. Then you will have 1 minutes to reteach based on the given feedback. Afterwards, you have to do writing prompt with 2 questions. Then one on one interview.

The overall interview was a good experience for later on interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in this school?
      Have you had a difficult situation before?
      Why do you want to teach?

Answer Question

Teaching Fellows Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Group interview process where we toured the school. We had to do a lesson in the style they teach in their actual schools. After the group interview, we were interviewed separately. My interview was 5 applicants. A lot of down time and waiting around for other interviewees to take their turn.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview

First interview was over the phone and very short, asked about past experiences and just about myself. Had an email offer for a scheduled skype interview the following week the same day. Also asked about a situation I was in where I had to come up with a solution to a problem.

Education Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview

I found the opening both on the website and through a friend's referral. Once I submitted my resume and initial email, I got a response within hours instructing me complete a few pre-work assignments before an individual interview the following week. The interview started in a small group, and then each candidate got an individual interview before we left. I found out by the end of that day that I had been offered a position. The entire process took about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions: Best and worst trait, how my experiences would make me good for the position, one time I had dealt with conflict at work and the outcome. There were also questions about the pre-work that I submitted before my in-person interview. You definitely had to think about your answers, but there were no trick questions.   Answer Question

2015 Summer STEM Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position in and it took all of 4 days for me to get a response. Apparently there is no need for a phone interview, and they invited me for an in-person interview at their headquarters on Wall St.

They seem to follow the same protocol and ask close to the same exact questions for every single interview that they give. They ask you to bring in an object of "personal significance" as an ice breaker to introduce everyone taking part of the group interview. They then go on and give the whole presentation of what the organization is about and leave room for questions.

There is then a teaching and feedback portion of the interview where they give you a lesson plan and ask you to present it for 3 minutes as if you were presenting to the kids in the classroom. You are given immediate feedback and given time to organize your thoughts. You then give a 1 minute improved version of your lesson plan.

While all of the candidates are being taken out one by one for a 1:1 interview, the rest remain behind in the conference room to fill out to essay questions as well as a personal preference sheet for which borough and what grade level you would like to teach in.

As long as you have read up on the company and have good speaking skills, the interview won't give you any problems at all.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time? Explain a time that you failed, and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

The process took about 2 weeks. I applied, was invited for a Skype interview with the department I had applied for. The interview lasted about a half hour. The person I interviewed with mostly asked standard interview questions, and then presented me with some hypothetical situations. Received an offer within 3 business days of the interview.

Curriculum Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview

After applying online, I participated in a phone screen. I was invited to an in-person interview within a day of the phone screen. The in-person interview was run by two women, but it was unclear to me how their roles were related to the position in question.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers had absolutely no interest in hearing about my work experience or accomplishments. One, in particular, seemed most interested in asking me about each of my current and former employers and her style of questioning made me feel like she was convinced I was being dishonest and she was trying to catch me in a lie. These two women could not tell me what they were looking for in a candidate, nor could they articulate a clear vision for instruction at their middle schools.   1 Answer