Success Academy Charter Schools

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lead Teacher Interview

Lead Teacher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to the lead teacher/Elementary teacher on their website. After three days I received an email to set up a phone interview. This took a few days more waiting on a reply for an actual date & time. Their phone call was not on time.

Interview Question – The person asked: What makes Success different than other Charter Schools out there?   Answer Question

Summer Teaching Fellowship Interview

Summer Teaching Fellowship
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in January 2014.

Interview Details – During this long process it was one of great anticipation and disappointment. It took about 3 weeks for this process total. The program offers one: an expense free opportunity to obtain your masters at (Toro College) also, coach you how to become a successful urban charter school teacher. This was a very stressful interview for me. I flew in to NYC from out of state and was given little to know instruction how to prepare for a group setting interview. Once I arrived to the school they were running behind on getting start. I was then separated into a group. Once In the interview everything was very face paced the same people were called on to answer the questions. I did not feel comfortable nor prepared going into that interview. The recuiter I had was little to no help and did not follow through as she stated she would. Overall It was a great learing experience.

Interview Question – The group interview process is one that is bias. I felt like they already knew who they wanted before they had the final interview. Very poor communication. During this time the recruiter that was my only source to the schools HR, completely fell out contact with me. Wouldn't return any of my calls or e-mails. I was told after the in person interview I would hear back from them within the week; That did not happen. After three weeks I finally was able to get in contact with the head of HR. It was explained to me then that I was not offered the position and " Good luck on your job search and hope you keep an interest in our schools.   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Teaching Fellow
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied for the position online. Took about 3 weeks to contact me to set up a group interview last minute. Went in for the interview. Lasted about 4 hours. Recruiter spoke with all of us as a group for about 10 minutes. Did a writing sample with a 3 minute time limit on organization. Received a poem and read over that many times, explaining the poem over and over again. Then asked to do a teach back to the group for 3 minutes.

Associate Teacher Interview

Associate Teacher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process started with a 20 minute phone interview then a 20-minute demo lesson at a Success Academy school. The recruitment team does stay in contact with you a lot during the process and they are very clear.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a part of Success Academy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't bother negotiating because this was not a lead teacher position and I did not have any experience.

Education Coordinator Interview

Education Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online with a tailored resume and cover letter. About a month later, I got an e-mail from someone on the recruitment team inviting me in for a group interview. Prior to the group interview, all candidates had to complete a Case Study which involved 3 tasks that were related to the role. The tasks were time-consuming. It took me approximately 10 hours. We were asked to bring 8 copies of our materials to the interview. During the interview itself, there were 4 candidates.

The Recruitment Manager started by telling us we had about 20/30 minutes to work on a task with one other candidate, the one you were not sitting next to. Afterwards, we had to present how we would approach the situation given. These were followed by Q&As. Following the two presentations, the Recruitment team split up into two teams and each team interviewed 3 candidates. I only met with one team. Surprisingly, they did not reference the Case Study at all during the interview. Nor did they request a copy. The whole interview was approximately 2.5/3 hours.

I followed up with the Recruitment Manager, whose contact info was on the sheet of paper they gave us, the same day. She got back to me about a week later. A week after that, I received an e-mail informing me they could not extend an offer.

Interview Question – Of all the positions we have, why did you apply for this position?   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

Office Coordinator

I applied online and interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview Details – Applied for the position and was contacted within 3 weeks for an interview. Attended a group interview lasting a total of 4 hours and was told follow-up would be within one week. Placement is not determined until a few weeks after the offer of employment. Salary was not disclosed at the interview but emphasized as "competitive" with a comprehensive benefits package. No refreshments were served (except for water) during the entire 4 hours. There was a group activity and interview rounds sort of similar to speed dating. The position seems very administrative and supportive, behind the scenes and maintaining the overall function/operation of the school. Recruitment staff and Senior Operations were all very professional and friendly. Cons: LONG DAYS, early shifts. Usual school day includes free breakfast so you must report to work by 6:45AM and the day usually ends around 5:15. If there is a late pick-up or an event, could be as late as 6:30PM.

Interview Question – What is your definition of professionalism?   View Answer

Human Resources Intern Interview

Human Resources Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview via Skype with someone from the HR department. The interviewer was very unprofessional, yawned several times when I was talking about by experiences. Even if my answers were not that compelling, her manner was very rude. She could have at least looked away when yawning.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything really difficult questions. All standard questions.   View Answer

Lead Teacher Interview

Lead Teacher
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, followed by 15 minute demo lesson to classroom of students.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for me - first year teachers are always paid the same amount (more for having MA)

Science Teacher Interview

Science Teacher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools in May 2010.

Interview Details – Responded to an ad on craigslist, sent resume and received an opportunity to teach a mini lesson at one of the Harlem Schools within 2 weeks. After mini lesson I had a face to face interview with multiple leadership members and was hired within 5 business days

Interview Question – "How could you handle managing a classroom of 30 students while being held to high standards of classroom management?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate where I could work and at what school I would be assigned to.

Office Coordinator Interview

Office Coordinator

Interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools

Interview Details – Once you apply, you go through different phases. Phase 1: Phone Call Interview, Phase 2: Group Interview. And then a week after you are informed of the decision.

Interview Question – Is the glass half full or full? It was very random question, but I had to give an answer.   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Success Academy Charter Schools

Worked for Success Academy Charter Schools? Contribute to the Community!