Suffolk County, New York

Very Easy Interview

Clerk Interview

Clerk
Long Is City, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Suffolk County, New York in June 2011.

Interview Details – No interview process, if you know someone they can pull some strings for you, i applied for a summer position so no required background checks. interviewing was a breeze i was hired on the spot began working the next day

Negotiation Details – easy it was a summer job

Very Easy Interview

Public Health Sanitarian Interview

Public Health Sanitarian

Interviewed at Suffolk County, New York

Interview Details – Interview ranges from one to eight interviewers - depends on number of positions. They will get back to you in a timely manner.

Interview Question – Interviewers not necessarily experienced in the interviewing process - i.e., asking trite, directionless questions that reflect inexperience.   Answer Question

Assistant District Attorney Interview

Assistant District Attorney

Interviewed at Suffolk County, New York

Interview Details – interview by three top executives working off intern lists, followed by interview with the District Attorney. Offer by telephone

Interview Question – What would a family member say is your most difficult personality trait   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Social Services Examiner I Interview

Social Services Examiner I
Deer Park, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Suffolk County, New York in June 2011.

Interview Details – Getting a civil service position such as this requires locating examination announcements either online or at your local civil service office and completing an application to take the exam, which usually requires candidates to submit an application fee that can be waived under certain circumstances. Candidates are notified by mail whether their application has been approved and, if it has, the location, date and time of the test as well as rules about what you may and not bring with you and a map of the test site. My advice? Do not rely on the map; locate a student or a security guard who will give you directions.

Each testing room will have individuals taking a variety of tests. The time allowed for completing the tests will be on the blackboard, as will certain information that is required to be written on the answer sheet. Candidates are given an answer sheet, scrap paper, written instructions and an EOE questionnaire, which is voluntary. After allowing time for test takers to complete the biographical information, proctors will hand out test booklets. You are required to count the pages and initial the front of the booklet to indicate that you agree with the page count. The proctor will, at the end of the exam, count your pages and initial that the booklet was returned with the same number of pages.

I believe it took about 10 weeks to receive the test score along with my position on the list. Applicants are then called to interview as positions open. As with all interviews, candidates are made to realize the insignificance of their time as the interviewer does not get around to taking you in until 45 minutes or so after your scheduled appointment. While you are waiting, you are given a written job description to peruse. Although you have only this to read and reread during your horrendous wait, the interviewer reads it to you at the start of the appointment, then asks if you wish to be considered for the opening and whether you have any questions.

When I asked how candidates are selected, the interviewer told me that by law they have to offer the position to one of the top three candidates on the list, but this has not been my experience with other civil service positions in the county.

Interview Question – Which two positions have you had that you feel have best prepared you for a job like this?   Answer Question

Worked for Suffolk County, New York? Contribute to the Community!