Sugar Publishing

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sugar Publishing in January 2013.

Interview Details – Clearly I was used for my ideas. Totally sketchy business practices. I question if they were ever going to hire anyone or if they were just using interviewers as a tactic to get ideas for their company. After my first interview I was asked to send proposed ideas for them to increase revenue. I sent them several and was moved on to the next round. Usually when you are in the second interview you are asked what your salary expectations are etc and that was not brought up. My third round interview was supposed to be in person, which would indicate that they were actually interested in me as a candidate, but then the person needed to reschedule and after about two weeks of back and forth with her we finally agreed upon a time, but she made it a phone call this time. At this time, I noticed that one of my ideas had already been implemented, which is strange because the purpose of me sending the idea was because I was supposed to be implementing it at onboarding. I went ahead with the interview anyway because I really wanted to work there. After my third interview I was asked to send even more ideas and then was later told after about two weeks that they went with another candidate.

Interview Question – What changes would you make to our website?   Answer Question

IT Director Interview

IT Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sugar Publishing in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication through email after submission of resume through LinkedIn. Pleasant office in downtown San Francisco. Interviewed with HR and CFO. Very straightforward questions about applications supported, networking and support methodologies. Salary requirements came up very early. Seems to be a young hip place, open plan with conference rooms for private meetings. Staff and receptionist I met all seemed very congenial.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions that I recall.   Answer Question

Strategy & Operations Interview

Strategy & Operations

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sugar Publishing.

Interview Details – The process was unorganized and random. Over a 4 week period I spoke with 6 different people and even partook in a case like interview. The office vibe is hard to gauge as the NY office is fairly new and they're only just expanding.

Interview Question – Had to come prepared with new business ideas. From one of those ideas, I had to do a market sizing case question.   Answer Question

Manager, Finance Interview

Manager, Finance
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sugar Publishing in August 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen and on-site interviews went well. A week later the hiring manager emailed and left a voicemail for me that s/he needed to speak to me urgently. I was booked solid that day into the night and tried to set up time for the following day. I emailed and left a voicemail. Then I never heard back from the hiring manager or recruiter. Urgent voicemails and emails and no follow-up. I tried to follow-up, but nothing. Unprofessional on their part.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Editorial Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sugar Publishing in January 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email and asked to complete a 10 page editorial test complete with bylines, photos, and blog entries. After submitting the document, I was asked to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by the Editor, Managing Editor, and Communications manager. Each person came in separately and asked me the same questions. I was supposed to be interviewed by the CEO as well, but they cut the interview short in the middle because of a "breaking news story" and said the would "call me back" to reschedule. I tried to get in touch with them over the next week and they never answered any of my calls until, 10 days later they finally told me they had hired someone else.

Overall, I found the experience negative, and the staff was somewhat condescending and rude.

Interview Questions

Java Web Engineer Interview

Java Web Engineer

Interviewed at Sugar Publishing

Interview Details – One interview with HR & they brought me onsite. 3 interviewers -- an hour each. didn't get it in the end, but I didn't have much J2EE experience anyway.

Interview Question – Reverse a Linkeed List   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter

I applied through other source - interviewed at Sugar Publishing in June 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed after their VC sent my resume over. I met with four people-one of whom didn't have my resume ahead of time. I enjoyed seeing the office and what I saw of the culture. Follow-up was poor-I didn't receive a thank you or decline email and only found out I wasn't moving forward after I saw the position re-posted and reached out to my contact for an update.

Interview Question – One interviewer asked me to teach him something about Recruiting that he may not know.   Answer Question

Advertising Interview

Advertising

The process took a day - interviewed at Sugar Publishing in March 2012.

Interview Details – I don't think the hiring manager had read my resume at all because she knows nothing about my background, which I think is very unprofessional. The workers here seem nice but the company's structure feels a bit disorganized.

Interview Question – Tell me about your background   Answer Question

Worked for Sugar Publishing? Contribute to the Community!