Sullivan & Cromwell Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

3.1

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell (New York, NY).

Interview

I first submitted my resume to a Temp Agency and was picked up by them. After meeting with the recruiter, she submitted my resume to S&C. My interview at S&C went very smoothly. There were two people who interviewed me simultaneously. They were in charge of all of the Legal Secretaries at S&C. They were really nice and easy-going. They were not intimidating nor were they mean in any way. They were very curious about my past experiences and my future goals. The interview went extremely well and I knew I would be getting a call back from the Temp Agency to let me know I had been hired.

Interview Questions

• One of the two interviewers asked me if I was considering going to law school in the future.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell.

Interview

Submitted resume through university career website. Did an initial phone interview that had general questions regarding my resume. Received a call later for an in person interview. Had interview scheduled for the following week. Interview at the office with an attorney and a current litigation assistant.

Legal Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online and sent my resume, transcript, and cover letter. They emailed me asking for a phone interview which was straightforward and as pleasant as any interview could be. Then went into the final round interview at the New York office where I did a quick translation and then met with an HR employee, a senior legal assistant, and the manager of the practice group I was interviewing for - all of whom were extremely welcoming and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, no surprising questions. Be prepared to talk about times when you've had to work in a team, when you failed to reach a goal and what you did about it, when you had a hard time cooperating with others and how you resolved your differences, how you organize your time, etc.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell.

Interview

Applied for the position through university job portal and received an email for a first-round phone interview. This was pretty standard - going through parts of your resume (just make sure to have a copy of it in front of you). A couple days later I received another call for an on-site second-round interview. I met with someone from HR, a current legal assistant, an attorney, the manager and then the director. The whole process was pretty straight-forward - know your resume and be prepared to talk in detail about the things you've listed. The only "difficult" part was the interview with the director who will ask you some behavioral quesitons.

Interview Questions

• Give me five reasons why I should hire you and give me specific examples for each.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting. Had a group interview with the manager of the firm's legal assistants and as well as two people in the position. Questions were almost entirely behavioral and asked why I wanted to work for a law firm, why I wanted to work for Sullivan & Cromwell specifically, and what I could add to the firm. The interview was ok, but they weren't the easiest to talk to. The interview also only lasted around 20 minutes, and others interviewing for the same position reported similar experiences. I never heard anything back from them.

Interview Questions

• If you were recruiting for this position, what kind of qualities would you look for?   Answer Question
    • How do you embody these qualities? (follow up)   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Interview

It was a pretty standard interview. I met with about 9 people, including HR, paralegals, and associates.

Application

Interview

Interviewed through on-campus recruiting (senior year of undergrad). Basic HR interview with hiring manager and current legal assistant. Two rounds (once on campus, once in NY office).

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

Meet and greet with HR Rep. Interview with Director of Department. Interview with Manager of Subdivision. Interview with panel of managers/coordinators. Background check. Offer. Counter-offer. Decision.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about the model of the department in your previous job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate using real numbers, based off of my experience and the amount of compensation that similarly qualified employees were receiving.

Systems Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Six interviews with 5 different folks.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal, what would it be.   1 Answer

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

The interview was extremely informal, most likely because I interviewed in the NYC office with a senior litigation paralegal from the LA office. Although at the time I felt extremely positive about the interview, in retrospect having not received a job offer I feel that only being able to meet with one person from the LA office due to geographical constraints was a huge drawback for me and did not allow me to gain alot of insight into firm culture.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer