Sullivan & Cromwell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Specialist Interview

Systems Specialist
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell in June 2010.

Interview Details – Six interviews with 5 different folks.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, what would it be.   View Answer

Interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell

Interview Details – Applied online and sent my resume, transcript, and cover letter. They emailed me asking for a phone interview which was straightforward and as pleasant as any interview could be. Then went into the final round interview at the New York office where I did a quick translation and then met with an HR employee, a senior legal assistant, and the manager of the practice group I was interviewing for - all of whom were extremely welcoming and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – Honestly, no surprising questions. Be prepared to talk about times when you've had to work in a team, when you failed to reach a goal and what you did about it, when you had a hard time cooperating with others and how you resolved your differences, how you organize your time, etc.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through on campus recruiting. Had a group interview with the manager of the firm's legal assistants and as well as two people in the position. Questions were almost entirely behavioral and asked why I wanted to work for a law firm, why I wanted to work for Sullivan & Cromwell specifically, and what I could add to the firm. The interview was ok, but they weren't the easiest to talk to. The interview also only lasted around 20 minutes, and others interviewing for the same position reported similar experiences. I never heard anything back from them.

Interview Questions

• If you were recruiting for this position, what kind of qualities would you look for?   Answer Question
  • How do you embody these qualities? (follow up)   Answer Question

Legal Assistant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell.

Interview Details – Applied for the position through university job portal and received an email for a first-round phone interview. This was pretty standard - going through parts of your resume (just make sure to have a copy of it in front of you). A couple days later I received another call for an on-site second-round interview. I met with someone from HR, a current legal assistant, an attorney, the manager and then the director. The whole process was pretty straight-forward - know your resume and be prepared to talk in detail about the things you've listed. The only "difficult" part was the interview with the director who will ask you some behavioral quesitons.

Interview Question – Give me five reasons why I should hire you and give me specific examples for each.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal

Interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell

Interview Details – It was a pretty standard interview. I met with about 9 people, including HR, paralegals, and associates.

Interview Question – Everything was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell.

Interview Details – Interviewed through on-campus recruiting (senior year of undergrad). Basic HR interview with hiring manager and current legal assistant. Two rounds (once on campus, once in NY office).

Interview Question – What is your greatest strength and weakness?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell in September 2008.

Interview Details – After an initial screening interview, multiple (5) one-on-one interviews, mainly with senior associates and partners, including a lunch with two junior associates. Offers are "exploding" --- given on the spot. Questions include those about your background, interest in the law, experience at law school, long-term career interests, and so forth.

Interview Question – Who are you?   Answer Question

Project Analyst Interview

Project Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell in April 2011.

Interview Details – Meet and greet with HR Rep. Interview with Director of Department. Interview with Manager of Subdivision. Interview with panel of managers/coordinators. Background check. Offer. Counter-offer. Decision.

Interview Question – What would you change about the model of the department in your previous job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate using real numbers, based off of my experience and the amount of compensation that similarly qualified employees were receiving.

Staff Services Interview

Staff Services
New York, NY

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell in June 2008.

Interview Details – Day one was the one on one interview, this is the first step. Here the hiring manager just gets a feel for your personality and skills set.
  He then had to pass my information on to my would be manager. The person who would be managing me and responsible if I fouled up an assignment or whatever. I was told by the hiring manager that he knows I could do the job, but he needs to convince the manager and that I needed to sell myself some more,to convince her which I did.
 This was done on the second day of interviews where I was given a verbal personality test of sorts and questioned on how I would handle various difficult personalities.
The third day of interview was by my direct managers boss. He was the one who would presumably be held personably responsible if something untoward happened, so I was again informed that i would need to handle difficult personalities and have a thick skin.
I Don't know why they couldn't do all three interviews on one day but whatevs.

Interview Question – How would you handle someone who is irate and yelling.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation at S&C they tell you what's available salarywise and you take it. There was always ample opportunity for OT anyway because they are more than willing to give you your vacation time when it was requested. I am rating the interview experience as negative only because it could all have been done in one long day instead of 3 separate hour long interviews.

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal
Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Sullivan & Cromwell in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was extremely informal, most likely because I interviewed in the NYC office with a senior litigation paralegal from the LA office. Although at the time I felt extremely positive about the interview, in retrospect having not received a job offer I feel that only being able to meet with one person from the LA office due to geographical constraints was a huge drawback for me and did not allow me to gain alot of insight into firm culture.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Worked for Sullivan & Cromwell? Contribute to the Community!