SumTotal Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.1

Entry Level Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SumTotal.

Process took 2 weeks. I applied online, got a call in a few days. Had an online assessment. Mostly Math and Puzzles, which image is odd one out etc. Then had an onsite interview. Again same assessment test. Then 2 rounds of interview. 1 st round Asked about Networking and skills required for Resume. Did not have second interview as manager was not available. Asked a lot about my Resume as well

Interview Questions
    • I had mentioned a project in my Resume. Unfortunately It was done 4 years ago in undergrad and I was not up to date on it and forgot a small detail in the project   Answer Question

Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SumTotal.

You will be asked to take the online IQ exam, if you pass you will be asked to take it a second time after a round of phone interviews but this time its proctored, and then another inperson interview after

no negotiations

Look At Photo On CareerBuilder Interview

Wow would consider applying but after looking at their photo on careerbuilder, I reconsidered. The photo shows about 15 men ( no women) all about same age (middle) same race. Scary considering usually someone in marketing would point out this lack of diversity, Since the company does not show sensitivity in how they portray themselves to potential future employees, I am inclined to think they do not have a sensitive company culture...

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SumTotal.

A recruiter from SumTotal contacted me from my online profile. I was sent an application and assessment test (similar to IQ test) to complete. A week later, I was asked to do a 2nd assessment/IQ in front of a proctor over my webcam. This seemed like overkill, and a lot of time on my part prior to any interview.

About 2 weeks later, I met with the hiring manager for a phone interview. He loved my resume, but thought the amount of travel may be an issue. I was called for a 2nd phone interview with another manager who pretty much wanted to brag about his college degrees. I got the feeling that he was a little disconnected from the position.

Although I researched the company before my prior interviews, I neglected to recheck their website before the 2nd round. Of course, there was an announcement that the company was acquired by Skillsoft a couple of days before. It was a faux pas on my part, and I knew that I couldn't recover.

The recruiter was very responsive during the process, but the process itself was too complex. There are typically 2 rounds of assessments followed by 3 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company? -- make sure to check for major announcements before each round of interviews   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SumTotal in May 2014.

Assessment test followed by a couple of phone interviews.
    On-site interview followed by a verification test.

The assessment test had both personality and IQ questions and the verification test was a shorter version of the IQ test.
    Their HR department is excellent and very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was very easy. The difficult part was the assessment test and the difficult part was the time limit.   Answer Question

Low salary

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SumTotal.

You'll take an online logic test. This test will determine if you even have a chance of a job. I've heard that there has been very talented persons doing poorly on the test and still being refused a job.

If you were referred you will ALWAYS have an in person interview. Even though the test score is recorded instantly you will not know going into the in-person interview if you passed or failed.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult is the computer test. It can be onsite or offsite. There are a bunch of analytical questions. The questions are random.   Answer Question
    They're going to low ball you.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SumTotal.

All communications between hiring manager was between recruiter. Recruiter was very responsive to both phone and emails. I had 5 interviews with each one of the VPs and senior team management team. Questions revolved around how to handle customer/business interaction, experiences in field, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding doing liaison work? How do you infuence people who you don't have direct management control over?   Answer Question
    negotiation seemed to be in employee's favor, I ended up on the higher end of the range offered.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SumTotal in October 2013.

Do web test first. The test has 2 parts, first part is for character, and second part is for logical

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SumTotal in September 2013.

Initially applied for the Technical Support Engineer I position via LinkedIn and received an online assessment test within three days following my submission. The assessment consists of two parts (equating to 50 min.): an aptitude portion (15 min: 50 questions) and a personality/predictor portion (15 min). The aptitude portion is of ACT format w/ no penalty in guessing. Two days after taking the initial assessment test, I was emailed back by an HR recruiter to have a scheduled 30-min phone interview with the Director of Customer Support the following week. I took the phone interview at the appointed time and all seemed well. Nothing too crazy, just the regular behavioral questions (what do you know about the company? do you work well with others? why do you want this position?, etc.)

After the phone interview I was told that I seemed like a good behavioral fit, so the Director of Customer Support told me that HR would contact me for an on-site interview soon. I was then contacted four days later via email by the HR recruiter handling my hiring process. In the email it stated that I was to come in to the office to fill out paperwork and take a second assessment test (30 min) then take on three back-to-back 30 min. interviews with the Manager, Senior Manager, and Director of the Customer and Technical Support Team.

As I entered the on-site location, I was proctored in a small room in the front office and was given a very similar assessment test compared to the initial test I took online. (If you took the two tests within a close enough time frame you might be able to remember some of the questions or at the very least the formatting of the questions as they will be similar). That test was simple (as was the first).**

Following my assessment, I was taken to my first interviewer. He asked me the typical generic set of interviewer questions: Why do you want to be here? What do you know about SumTotal? What is your education and technical background? Give me a brief description of yourself. Then he went on to describe some of the functions of the job, the company, company culture, etc. At the very end I was given two questions: one was a situation problem and the other was a puzzle-like problem. He asked me which I wanted first so I said situation problem.

***See below for questions and answers!

All three of my interviews ran over the 30 min. timeframe. So I was pretty much being grilled for about 2 hours straight. Then at the very end they said that they would be contacting me within the next few weeks after they found out if I was a good fit.

One week later I was given a call, and requested to fill out a background check online through Accurate and take a clinical drug test. I pass both and was given a job offer.

**NOTE: These assessment tests must be taken by all employees whether or not it pertains to their job. It's pretty much a test to weed out those who can't think on their feet under pressure. Questions are not hard, but you have about 15 sec./question. So be fast.

Interview Questions
    • The situation: Imagine you have two companies both of which are major customers of ours, say Walmart with 20,000 employees and an airline company with 100 pilots and each customer has a deadline for a class that needs to be shown to their employees at 9AM. Then 45 minutes prior Walmart calls in and says that the software they need to run the class (which is provided by us) is not working and if they don't get to teach their employees the class that they will start losing profit by the minute. So you start to work on the issue with Walmart. Then 15 minutes later, the airline company calls and tell you that their class software also isn't working properly. At this point, how would you handle the situation? Both customers are large companies that SumTotal deals with and losing either customer would cost the company dearly.   View Answer
    • Next came the puzzle-question: I am thinking of a number 1 through 1,000,000. You are allowed three questions to narrow down the number. Then at the end of the three questions you have to tell me the number I am thinking of. You have 20 seconds. GO.   View Answers (2)
    • If a ticket comes in and you have to deal with the customer but know absolutely nothing about the customer or the ticket situation, what do you do? Who do you go to for help?   View Answer
    • Describe what customer support does.   View Answer
    I was offered $32k for the position. I requested a higher pay and the response I got back a few days later was that their budget was already tight but they would bump my pay up to $33k.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SumTotal in September 2013.

applied online on the career site. Then I received a call from HR to schedule an skill test. test was vey simple just consisted of lot of behavioural questions and then few IQ type questions. then phone interview with HR and one another member from the company. followed by onsite interview.

Interview Questions

salary was very less. not even close to what others offer. I tried to negotiate and then they told me they don't provide visa sponsorship, though it was clearly written that they do provide sponsorship on the job description page.