SumTotal

62 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at SumTotal in October 2013.

Interview Details – Do web test first. The test has 2 parts, first part is for character, and second part is for logical

Interview Question – Do some math computation   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Gainesville, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SumTotal in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was flown into the company headquarters and back for one day. During that time, I was given a tour of the building, and took 3 very casual interviews. They were each unique: one director interview, one manager interview, and one interview from the lead software engineer. I was also asked to complete exams based on Math and Pattern recognition.

Interview Question – During one interview, I was given a number of logical anecdotes to solve on the fly (write an algorithm that does this, etc.)   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

West Des Moines, IA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SumTotal in July 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very straightforward. When I submitted my online application I was required to take an aptitude test. Upon arriving for my formal interview, I took a shortened version of the same test and then proceeded with the interview.

The interview itself was fairly standard and in no way overly intimidating.

Interview Question – What would you consider to be your greatest accomplishment in life so far (other than graduating from college)?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation involved when applying for an intern position.

Content Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at SumTotal in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by SumTotal system's recruiting team to undertake two online exams; the exams presumably tested my analytical, critical thinking and problem solving abilities. These were akin to other tests such as those to determine your IQ. A sample question might include a series of numbers or shapes, and then require the participant to identify what among a set group of numbers or shapes should appear next in the series.

Although I felt confident about my results, unfortunately I was never contacted either way regarding my performance on these tests, which took roughly 45 minutes to complete.

Interview Question – There were none that directly related to the scope of the position.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Gainesville, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SumTotal in September 2013.

Interview Details – applied online on the career site. Then I received a call from HR to schedule an skill test. test was vey simple just consisted of lot of behavioural questions and then few IQ type questions. then phone interview with HR and one another member from the company. followed by onsite interview.

Interview Question – there wasn't any difficult question   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – salary was very less. not even close to what others offer. I tried to negotiate and then they told me they don't provide visa sponsorship, though it was clearly written that they do provide sponsorship on the job description page.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SumTotal.

Interview Details – All communications between hiring manager was between recruiter. Recruiter was very responsive to both phone and emails. I had 5 interviews with each one of the VPs and senior team management team. Questions revolved around how to handle customer/business interaction, experiences in field, etc.

Interview Question – Questions regarding doing liaison work? How do you infuence people who you don't have direct management control over?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiation seemed to be in employee's favor, I ended up on the higher end of the range offered.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Gainesville, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SumTotal in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initially applied for the Technical Support Engineer I position via LinkedIn and received an online assessment test within three days following my submission. The assessment consists of two parts (equating to 50 min.): an aptitude portion (15 min: 50 questions) and a personality/predictor portion (15 min). The aptitude portion is of ACT format w/ no penalty in guessing. Two days after taking the initial assessment test, I was emailed back by an HR recruiter to have a scheduled 30-min phone interview with the Director of Customer Support the following week. I took the phone interview at the appointed time and all seemed well. Nothing too crazy, just the regular behavioral questions (what do you know about the company? do you work well with others? why do you want this position?, etc.)

After the phone interview I was told that I seemed like a good behavioral fit, so the Director of Customer Support told me that HR would contact me for an on-site interview soon. I was then contacted four days later via email by the HR recruiter handling my hiring process. In the email it stated that I was to come in to the office to fill out paperwork and take a second assessment test (30 min) then take on three back-to-back 30 min. interviews with the Manager, Senior Manager, and Director of the Customer and Technical Support Team.

As I entered the on-site location, I was proctored in a small room in the front office and was given a very similar assessment test compared to the initial test I took online. (If you took the two tests within a close enough time frame you might be able to remember some of the questions or at the very least the formatting of the questions as they will be similar). That test was simple (as was the first).**

Following my assessment, I was taken to my first interviewer. He asked me the typical generic set of interviewer questions: Why do you want to be here? What do you know about SumTotal? What is your education and technical background? Give me a brief description of yourself. Then he went on to describe some of the functions of the job, the company, company culture, etc. At the very end I was given two questions: one was a situation problem and the other was a puzzle-like problem. He asked me which I wanted first so I said situation problem.

***See below for questions and answers!

All three of my interviews ran over the 30 min. timeframe. So I was pretty much being grilled for about 2 hours straight. Then at the very end they said that they would be contacting me within the next few weeks after they found out if I was a good fit.

One week later I was given a call, and requested to fill out a background check online through Accurate and take a clinical drug test. I pass both and was given a job offer.

**NOTE: These assessment tests must be taken by all employees whether or not it pertains to their job. It's pretty much a test to weed out those who can't think on their feet under pressure. Questions are not hard, but you have about 15 sec./question. So be fast.

Interview Questions

• The situation: Imagine you have two companies both of which are major customers of ours, say Walmart with 20,000 employees and an airline company with 100 pilots and each customer has a deadline for a class that needs to be shown to their employees at 9AM. Then 45 minutes prior Walmart calls in and says that the software they need to run the class (which is provided by us) is not working and if they don't get to teach their employees the class that they will start losing profit by the minute. So you start to work on the issue with Walmart. Then 15 minutes later, the airline company calls and tell you that their class software also isn't working properly. At this point, how would you handle the situation? Both customers are large companies that SumTotal deals with and losing either customer would cost the company dearly.   View Answer
  • Next came the puzzle-question: I am thinking of a number 1 through 1,000,000. You are allowed three questions to narrow down the number. Then at the end of the three questions you have to tell me the number I am thinking of. You have 20 seconds. GO.   View Answers (2)
  • If a ticket comes in and you have to deal with the customer but know absolutely nothing about the customer or the ticket situation, what do you do? Who do you go to for help?   View Answer
  • Describe what customer support does.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered $32k for the position. I requested a higher pay and the response I got back a few days later was that their budget was already tight but they would bump my pay up to $33k.

Senior Solutions Consultant Interview

Senior Solutions Consultant

Interviewed at SumTotal

Interview Details – Submitted online application. One day later received a request to take an online assessment. Completed assessment. After a few days I contacted the recruiter directly looking for an update and was told the position was already filled. I got the feeling the online postings are not in sync with the recruiting process (i.e. internal hires are more likely).

Interview Question – You need to work through the assessment efficiently. Don't take too much time.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SumTotal in November 2011.

Interview Details – tedious test not relevant to the job

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wouldn't come on board for the offer. They gave me a signing bonus.

Very Easy Interview

Solution Marketing Senior Manager Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SumTotal in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1st assessment test online. Then, got a call from recruiter to discuss position and experience. Although the position said it was remote, they asked if I would relocate, I said I would consider it for the right package. They felt I was overqualified, which I thought I handled/responded to well. They asked for times I was available to have a call with hiring manager and travel availability, I provided a ton and they said they'd get back to me the next day (it was late afternoon). After 1 week, I checked in, no response. Again, the next week. Never got any response to say they decided not to pursue.

Interview Question – Questions were all very basic, looking for pointed examples of marketing campaigns, sales support, etc.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at SumTotal

Worked for SumTotal? Contribute to the Community!

SumTotal Videos

SumTotal – Why Work for Us?

SumTotal is dedicated to partnering with our customers to create great places to work. We break down barriers. We reject complexity and embrace simplicity. We believe that people want to give their best and be great at… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SumTotal interview questions and advice. All 62 interview reviews posted anonymously by SumTotal employees and interview candidates.