SumTotal

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Gainesville, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SumTotal in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initially applied for the Technical Support Engineer I position via LinkedIn and received an online assessment test within three days following my submission. The assessment consists of two parts (equating to 50 min.): an aptitude portion (15 min: 50 questions) and a personality/predictor portion (15 min). The aptitude portion is of ACT format w/ no penalty in guessing. Two days after taking the initial assessment test, I was emailed back by an HR recruiter to have a scheduled 30-min phone interview with the Director of Customer Support the following week. I took the phone interview at the appointed time and all seemed well. Nothing too crazy, just the regular behavioral questions (what do you know about the company? do you work well with others? why do you want this position?, etc.)

After the phone interview I was told that I seemed like a good behavioral fit, so the Director of Customer Support told me that HR would contact me for an on-site interview soon. I was then contacted four days later via email by the HR recruiter handling my hiring process. In the email it stated that I was to come in to the office to fill out paperwork and take a second assessment test (30 min) then take on three back-to-back 30 min. interviews with the Manager, Senior Manager, and Director of the Customer and Technical Support Team.

As I entered the on-site location, I was proctored in a small room in the front office and was given a very similar assessment test compared to the initial test I took online. (If you took the two tests within a close enough time frame you might be able to remember some of the questions or at the very least the formatting of the questions as they will be similar). That test was simple (as was the first).**

Following my assessment, I was taken to my first interviewer. He asked me the typical generic set of interviewer questions: Why do you want to be here? What do you know about SumTotal? What is your education and technical background? Give me a brief description of yourself. Then he went on to describe some of the functions of the job, the company, company culture, etc. At the very end I was given two questions: one was a situation problem and the other was a puzzle-like problem. He asked me which I wanted first so I said situation problem.

***See below for questions and answers!

All three of my interviews ran over the 30 min. timeframe. So I was pretty much being grilled for about 2 hours straight. Then at the very end they said that they would be contacting me within the next few weeks after they found out if I was a good fit.

One week later I was given a call, and requested to fill out a background check online through Accurate and take a clinical drug test. I pass both and was given a job offer.

**NOTE: These assessment tests must be taken by all employees whether or not it pertains to their job. It's pretty much a test to weed out those who can't think on their feet under pressure. Questions are not hard, but you have about 15 sec./question. So be fast.

Interview Questions

• The situation: Imagine you have two companies both of which are major customers of ours, say Walmart with 20,000 employees and an airline company with 100 pilots and each customer has a deadline for a class that needs to be shown to their employees at 9AM. Then 45 minutes prior Walmart calls in and says that the software they need to run the class (which is provided by us) is not working and if they don't get to teach their employees the class that they will start losing profit by the minute. So you start to work on the issue with Walmart. Then 15 minutes later, the airline company calls and tell you that their class software also isn't working properly. At this point, how would you handle the situation? Both customers are large companies that SumTotal deals with and losing either customer would cost the company dearly.   View Answer
  • Next came the puzzle-question: I am thinking of a number 1 through 1,000,000. You are allowed three questions to narrow down the number. Then at the end of the three questions you have to tell me the number I am thinking of. You have 20 seconds. GO.   View Answers (2)
  • If a ticket comes in and you have to deal with the customer but know absolutely nothing about the customer or the ticket situation, what do you do? Who do you go to for help?   View Answer
  • Describe what customer support does.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered $32k for the position. I requested a higher pay and the response I got back a few days later was that their budget was already tight but they would bump my pay up to $33k.

Technical Support Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at SumTotal.

Interview Details – Initial requirement of two hour online assessment for both math/vocabulary knowledge and general knowledge plus personality evaluation. Next step a phone interview; discussed best fit for job openings. Next step in house interview with two managers. This is as far as I got. Throughout there is email conversation with a recruiter. Everything was handled very professionally.

Interview Question – What is the worse customer service situation you have found yourself in and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Interviewed at SumTotal

Interview Details – Many reviews and interviews here sound very much like mine, unprofessional. One of the interviewers wearing foot gloves to the interview. The HR manager never bothers introducing himself, let alone speaking or meeting with me. Far and above the worst and most unprofessional interview I have ever been on.

Oddly enough I was there for 3 hours. A chunk of that time was for testing. I spoke with one person face to face and another on the phone. Another good chunk of time was spent waiting on people. At the end of the interview, I get the HR "assistant" come out and tell me that the HR Director is tied up on a call. Uh huh, yeah. End of interview.

Hyderābād (India)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at SumTotal in January 2012.

Interview Details – The initial communication came through the mail for the written test. This is mandatory for all type of employees who will go through the interview process. This test is very easy but very very lengthy. Some 300 to 400 questions are there. After clearing this test I faced two telephonic interviews. The standard of technical interview was very good. After that I have been invited to give face to face interview with manager. After clearing that I had a discussion with the director.

After going thru all these process I got an offer after 1 month.

Interview Question – How to find the name of stored procedure in SQL Server which has function named 'Sumtotal'?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate. If you know that what you want then you can definitely negotiate.

Hyderābād (India)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SumTotal in February 2011.

Interview Details – I attended the online test. The online test is really stressful. It is long and has around 6 sections. This has 1/4 negative marking too. Hence it is advisable not to mark answers if you are not sure.

1. Sequences
2. Symbols and non verbal ability
3. Quantitative Aptitude
4. General Knowledge
5. Verbal ability
6. Business knowledge
7. Personality Assessment

The sequences were simple. Just use common sense. The flipside is you have to solve around 20 sequences in 5 minutes, which translates to 15seconds per sequence which might be difficult. Hence the mantra is to practice practice.

In Symbols and non verbal ability, you need to complete / guess the next symbol in the sequence. Just grab a non verbal ability book and practice. This too has time constraint.

The most difficult is quantitative aptitude. You have to solve 24 quantitative descriptive questions in 30 minutes. This translates to 1m15s for each question. Readin and understanding the question itself takes 30 seconds. So we have 45 seconds for each question.

General knowledge, brush up current affairs. Questions like where is headoffice for UN, etc will be asked.

Verbal ability tests synonyms. Around 50 in 3 minutes, that is 3 seconds per question. Really tight on schedule.

Business knowledge ask knowledge about specific terms like loan, mortgage, credit, debit etc.
Personality assessment is the psychometric test which asks about specific questions and then asks the same questions in a twisted way later. Both the answers should be in sync.

Overall, be time conscious. You can take long breaks between sections, but not between questions.

Interview Question – One variety of petrol costs Rs 130 and another costs Rs 90. TO obtain a mixture of 80 litres of petrol costing Rs. 90, how many litres of Rs90 petrol should be used ?
Options: 50 30 40 15 25
  View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at SumTotal

Worked for SumTotal? Contribute to the Community!

SumTotal Videos

SumTotal – Why Work for Us?

SumTotal is dedicated to partnering with our customers to create great places to work. We break down barriers. We reject complexity and embrace simplicity. We believe that people want to give their best and be great at… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SumTotal Technical Support Engineer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by SumTotal employees and interview candidates.