Summit Partners

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Boston, MA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Summit Partners in December 2011.

Interview Details – Was steered towards the job through a recruiter, who said this was a phenomenal company with room to grow. A first interview was scheduled within days of my recruiter contacting me, and I met with 4 people a week later.

The first interview went really well. I met with a peer, a manager, a vice president, then someone from another group. Got a really good vibe from all four of them, but some weird questions, which I didn't think really added to the interview. The total interview lasted 4 hours. That same day, they called my recruiter back and said that they "loved" me, and wanted to have me back for a second interview. The second interview was a week from that day, and I was to meet with 4 more people.

The second interview completely turned me off to the company. I met with a woman who was a manager, and it was within five minutes that I decided I didn't want to work there. Her first comment was "We're the same age, but I'm a manager" (I was applying for a staff position, I had been in public for 5 years, and wanted to get a start in PE). Her attitude and demeanor screamed "Big 4", which was the environment I was trying to avoid. She also misunderstood almost everything I said, and put words in my mouth, and on several points I had to refute answers that she completely misinterpreted. For example, she said "Well, you said you hated doing repetitive work at a Big 4, and some of the work here is repetitive". I had to explain to her that I never said that, and the reason I left the Big 4 was for a stronger opportunity elsewhere.

Things got stranger from there.

After I met with the manager for 25 minutes, I had interviews scheduled with three more people, all of which were higher-ups (VP, Controller, etc). The manager came back after a15 minutes, and said "Um, we're having sort of a fire drill in the office here, and nobody can meet with you". She abruptly dismissed me from the building without so much as an apology, or the opportunity to reschedule the interview.

My recruiter had to call them three times over the course of 5 days to get an answer as to why the interview was cut short, and to get an answer as to my interview status with them. Their answer was I was too much of a "go-getter", and that I was too experienced for the position. Seems a tad ludicrous that they wouldn't want a motivated individual to work for their company.

After speaking with my recruiter, he said their responses are often typical of managers who would feel threatened by a potential employee taking their job. So, long story short, I'm glad it fell through, because this is a PE firm masquerading as a Big 4, and all they want are grunts who will do what they're told without offering other opportunities. I had more experience than the manager interviewing me, and that scared her. Even had I been offered a job, I would have declined it.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Summit Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Summit Partners Analyst interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Summit Partners employees and interview candidates.