Sun Life

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Advisor

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sun Life in May 2013.

Interview Details – Great initial communication, great encouragement given at interview. Interviewed twice before being asked to complete recruiting application, which asked for very detailed work/education history. After approval, training started , but first priority was getting the LLQP, which you have to pay ~300?, but you get reimbursed after you pass the provincial exam. This is a self-employed position and you are required to buy a laptop, lease office space (`400 monthly) and pay for your on health benefits with sun life.

Interview Question – What does being "successful" means to you?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a better offer from investors group.

Interviewed at Sun Life

Interview Details – Interview, 2 test, and then another final interview. Very casual interview with manager in which the manager give you a brief overview of the roles of financial advisor. Then, you will be asked to take a test to see whether you are satisfy as a advisor or sales position. Once thats done, you will be emailed another test. Passing both of those test will grant you a final interview with the head of the branch office.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Sun Life.

Interview Details – I applied online, had a phone interview, wherein I had the chance to ask more about the job itself - that was quite informational in nature. Then I came into the office for a behavioral (but rather casual) interview (questions like "What made you interested in this job?" but nothing too strict). Following that, they give you an online "suitability" test, after which you should get a call to tell you whether you passed or not.

Interview Question – How many people do you know personally that you might sell life insurance to?   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sun Life in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview is really short and just go through your résumé. After that, you need to complete a test about 160 multiple choice. And, if you pass the test, they will give you another interview. The question is more about your background and sales question. I don't like sales.

Interview Question – What do you know about financial advisor?   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Sun Life.

Interview Details – Met with a sales manager at a career fair and was invited to do an one-on-one interview. Questions were very general, mostly regarding career expectaions and personal ties in the city. After the interview, was asked to do a suitability test.

Interview Question – Very basic questions   Answer Question

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Sun Life in March 2013.

Interview Details – Met with a sunlife recruiter at an unrelated social event - He told me about sunlife and thought I would be well suited for the job. I met with him the following week and he answered any questions I had at the time. I was then given a pre-employment questionnaire to complete. After that, I had another questionnaire emailed to me, which I completed at home. Then I went in for an employment presentation given by 2 managers. They also present the job to your spouse, if applicable. After that, you are required to complete a certain number of surveys with the people you know - coming up with at least 100 names and numbers to build a market for yourself. None of this information is given to sunlife - it is for your own benefit to help you start your business. Once that is complete, you begin the process of studying and passing your LLQP. Following the successful completion of that course, you then begin your pre-contract sales, alongside a manager. Once that goal is reached, you are contracted, paid commission for your sales and you are set to go.

Interview Question – Interview was fun and the managers obviously loved their jobs and the environment. I didn't find the interview difficult. Questions were pretty typical and conversational.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is a commission-based job. You get out of it what you put into it. It is not for everyone, but could be a dream job for the right individual.

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sun Life.

Interview Details – very easy to hire employee, and employee has to pay by your own for internet fee, telephone bill, office rental etc.

Reason for Declining – looks like a scam

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Sun Life in January 2011.

Interview Details – Submit resume, come in for a couple of interviews, one describes the job and process, there is a test that you have to take to see how suitable you would be for selling and this will determine how many pre-contract sales you would have to make and in what amount of time. Then you begin studying for the LLQP, pass it, then start your pre-contract sales which usually takes a couple of months, and then you are officially hired and finally get a pay check, fairly large (7-10K) and then you're on your own and it's usually down hill from there.

Interview Question – Make a list of 100 people you know and their phone numbers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would ask how much business expenses would be every month including office space, technology, health benefits, and social and advertising funds and any other expense and I would also ask to see current sales reports for all of the advisors in the financial center.

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sun Life in October 2012.

Interview Details – One on one interview, very friendly and informational

Interview Question – No tough questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It's an entrepreneurial career and I expect more support for my first career move.

Dumaguete (Philippines)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sun Life.

Interview Details – Great career opportunities, unlimited income potential, really good investment programs, highly-cultured workforce, provides the best training programs and seminars periodically, quality service and fosters trustworthiness to clients.

Interview Question – Would you like to earn double or triple your regularly monthly salary from your recent job, or even earn unlimited income while you work at your own comfortable time table and helping people to plan for their future financial needs and goals?   View Answer

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!