Sun Microsystems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Broomfield, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Sun Microsystems in October 2008.

Interview Details – Fairly informal interviewing process. Referred internally by an employee via the HR organization to the hiring manager. Two initial phone interviews, followed by an in person interview and then a series of brief interviews by my managers Director, other individuals who I am now working directly with, and one other Director in the organization.

Interview Question – Why do you want to return to the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Some. I was a rehire and was able to negotiate backup to my departure salary.

Really consider if you want to work at Sun and why. The company is under a lot of stress, but there are opportunities to learn global enterprise skills that few other companies can offer.

Work Environments Interview

Work Environments
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sun Microsystems in January 2008.

Interview Details – Due to Sun's practice of setting up global teams who can work from anywhere, the initial contacts were all via phone. I was first contacted by the Hiring Manager, and then another member of her team via phone interviews. This was followed by a group interview on location.

Interview Questions

• Would I be able to pick up a major project in which the planning was nearing completion, and run with it?   View Answer
  • Did I have a problem reporting to more than one Manager?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I attempted to negotiate everything I could, but was given an offer (which was fair and generous) and only one of my negotiation points made it into the final hiring plan (flexibility). I believe this was due in part to the urgency in which they needed to place the position.

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!