Sun Microsystems Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2015

3.1

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sun Microsystems (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Hiring process consisted of a phone screen followed by a group interview with people I'd be working closely with. Questions were pretty straightforward such as "Why do you want to work at Sun", "What do you think this position entails", and "What skills do you bring to this position"

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Sun   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be prepared to answer the salary range question during the phone screen. Sun pays fairly, so you don't have to worry about being low-balled. My salary was exactly at the median for the year 2008.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sun Microsystems (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

interview questions relevant to skills required

Work Environments Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sun Microsystems (Broomfield, CO) in January 2008.

Interview

Due to Sun's practice of setting up global teams who can work from anywhere, the initial contacts were all via phone. I was first contacted by the Hiring Manager, and then another member of her team via phone interviews. This was followed by a group interview on location.

Interview Questions

• Would I be able to pick up a major project in which the planning was nearing completion, and run with it?   1 Answer
    • Did I have a problem reporting to more than one Manager?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I attempted to negotiate everything I could, but was given an offer (which was fair and generous) and only one of my negotiation points made it into the final hiring plan (flexibility). I believe this was due in part to the urgency in which they needed to place the position.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sun Microsystems (San Jose, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

The same question was asked several different ways so as if to see if the response was consistent.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sun Microsystems (San Jose, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Hiring process was pretty standard, nothing out of the ordinary

Interview Questions

• If you were putting together a program with little or no budget, what aspect of the program would you sacrafice and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very hard line with their number. Budget was pretty fixed, you either took it or you didn't.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sun Microsystems (Bangalore (India)).

Interview

Test followed by 5 or 6 rounds of tech interviews. Unix, OS, kernel, C and many programmatic questions were asked. Was asked to solve a problem on the board.

Interview Questions

• Unix, OS and many programmatic questions.   1 Answer

Solution Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malmö, Skåne (Sweden)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Sun Microsystems (Malmö, Skåne (Sweden)).

Interview

Phone interview

Interview Questions

• How can you contribute to the organization?   1 Answer

Software Architect Interview

Interview

Phone interview, followed by onsite. The interviewers appeared to have varying knowledge levels, this was especially apparant when they gave their questions.

Presales Consultant Interview

Interview

After a group interview, I had two other 1-1 meetings.

Systems Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sun Microsystems.

Interview

Interviewing and hiring process were very easy and fast as I had done work with the them in the past and my skill sets were already know. Interview was more of a formality than anything else.