Sun Microsystems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Broomfield, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Sun Microsystems in October 2008.

Interview Details – Fairly informal interviewing process. Referred internally by an employee via the HR organization to the hiring manager. Two initial phone interviews, followed by an in person interview and then a series of brief interviews by my managers Director, other individuals who I am now working directly with, and one other Director in the organization.

Interview Question – Why do you want to return to the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Some. I was a rehire and was able to negotiate backup to my departure salary.

Really consider if you want to work at Sun and why. The company is under a lot of stress, but there are opportunities to learn global enterprise skills that few other companies can offer.

Work Environments Interview

Work Environments
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sun Microsystems in January 2008.

Interview Details – Due to Sun's practice of setting up global teams who can work from anywhere, the initial contacts were all via phone. I was first contacted by the Hiring Manager, and then another member of her team via phone interviews. This was followed by a group interview on location.

Interview Questions

• Would I be able to pick up a major project in which the planning was nearing completion, and run with it?   View Answer
  • Did I have a problem reporting to more than one Manager?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I attempted to negotiate everything I could, but was given an offer (which was fair and generous) and only one of my negotiation points made it into the final hiring plan (flexibility). I believe this was due in part to the urgency in which they needed to place the position.

Solution Designer Interview

Solution Designer
Malmö, Skåne (Sweden)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sun Microsystems.

Interview Details – Phone interview

Interview Question – How can you contribute to the organization?   View Answer

Software Architect Interview

Software Architect

Interviewed at Sun Microsystems

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by onsite. The interviewers appeared to have varying knowledge levels, this was especially apparant when they gave their questions.

Interview Question – Bionomial Queues   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Sun Microsystems in December 2009.

Interview Details – submitted my resume through a referral, it took some time for the hiring manager to call me , once I was called, I initially had to go through a written test, and 2 rounds of face to face interviews.
I was not too confident, but as such the interview went on well

Interview Question – technical questions on java mostly   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sun Microsystems in June 2009.

Interview Details – Interview questions are generally designed to assess applicant attributes that are specifically relevant to the job for which the person is applying. The job-relevant applicant attributes that the questions purportedly assess are thought to be necessary for one to successfully perform on the job. The job-relevant constructs that have been assessed in the interview can be classified into three categories: general traits, experiential factors, and core job elements.

Interview Question – Not aware of   Answer Question

Systems Support Engineer Interview

Systems Support Engineer
Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Sun Microsystems in April 2008.

Interview Details – One interview process only, interview with 3 panelis talking about non-technical and after that continue with HR for salary offering

Interview Question – None of the question is difficult or unexpected, all the questions are standard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One time negotiation phase

Presales Consultant Interview

Presales Consultant

Interviewed at Sun Microsystems

Interview Details – After a group interview, I had two other 1-1 meetings.

Interview Question – They oversold the company.   Answer Question

Systems Support Specialist Interview

Systems Support Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Sun Microsystems.

Interview Details – Interviewing and hiring process were very easy and fast as I had done work with the them in the past and my skill sets were already know. Interview was more of a formality than anything else.

Interview Question – No really difficult questions.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst

Interviewed at Sun Microsystems

Interview Details – Interviewed by 3 members of the opposite gender, at the same time.

Interview Question – How do you handle difficult people or people who you don't get along with?   Answer Question