Sun Tan City

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tanning Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sun Tan City.

Interview Details – I had a lengthy (60 min) interview in the back room of the salon. I was asked the basic question ie. how would you handle the following situations. I was then asked what i knew about the company as well as my tanning/product knowledge I was asked to choose 5 words that described me, then was asked to go in depth and explain why i chose them.

Interview Question – You have one minute to sell my "this pen", go!   Answer Question

Salon Director Interview

Salon Director
Wilmington, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Sun Tan City in December 2012.

Interview Details – Best thing to do is to submit you resume, and then do a follow up. Do not excessively come in to check on applications.

Interview Question – What is your weakness.   Answer Question

Cookeville, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sun Tan City in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in person and had a friend who worked there so I put her name down as a reference. 4 weeks later they called me 9:00pm at night to schedule an interview the very next day. I thought it was weird how the manager called me that late. Didn't see,very professional. She also let me choose what time to have my interview. The next day I showed up 10 minutes early to the interview. The workers told me it would be a few minutes and she would get back with me. I left my phone in the car so I couldn't keep track of time. It seemed like they were just goofing off because a woman with a baby walked in and they were giving the baby attention.. Then they were talking and laughing. She told me five times it would be just a few minutes and thanks for being patient. Another girl also showed up who was having an interview too. I guess it clicked in their head that they needed to get busy, I finally got the interview and they had a piece of paper with a lot of questions on it. Many questions were related to previous work experience. Interview process took ten minutes. After the interview I checked the time and I was in there for an hour total. I was very aggravated.

Interview Question – Describe yourself using only five words   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sun Tan City in April 2013.

Interview Details – Tell me a little bit about yourself?
Tell me what you know about the company?
Tell me about your previous job experience?
Tell me what you liked best about that job?
What did you like least about that job?
List 3 of your strengths?
List 2 of your weakness?
Give me 5 adjectives to describe yourself?
What are some short term goals you have?
What are some long term goals you have?
What do you think it means to be professional?
Why should we hire you?

Interview Question – Pretty easy. Just be enthusiastic, talk about how you like sales and love to interact with people. Then, when you get hired, you will be miserable and hate your life. lol   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will call and ask you if you are interested still. They will tell you the pay and give you a training schedule.

Junior Assistant Salon Director Interview

Junior Assistant Salon Director
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sun Tan City in March 2014.

Interview Details – On the STC website, there is a link for inquiries. In the middle of a mindless job hunt I put one in. Within a couple days I had an email from the Area Director with a description of the position and responsibilities, and asking if I was still interested, she asked that I email her back with the locations I would be interested in interviewing for. I responded a couple days later due to weather emergencies and lat minute schedule changes.

Within the next day or so I had a phone call from the Salon Director who is in training to be an Area Director. The phone interview went well and I was offered an in-person interview.

The interview went really well, standard questions about strengths and weaknesses, and some about my current position. I am not sure if this was standard or not, but I was asked to stick around and shadow the current Assistant Salon Director. It was the beginning of their peak time, so we did not have time to talk one on one, I just watched him do his job.

Three days after that the Assistant that I shadowed called me to touch base and go over things that the Salon Director covered in my interview, that he missed out on. At the end, he let me know they would be calling me one way or another.

One full week after the in-person interview I was called by the Salon Director and offered a position, and asked to start training at another location the next day.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual or too difficult about questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation room, this position is to prepare you for the Assistant position. With adequate performance, an increase in pay is not far behind.

Burlington, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Sun Tan City in January 2014.

Interview Details – Clear expectations. Send a follow up email with training schedule and everything. They do it all for you short of literally picking you up and driving you to the salon!

Interview Question – Why STC?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was upfront and clear only a complete irresponsible idiot wouldn't know what was next or expected

Tanning Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sun Tan City in March 2010.

Interview Details – We go through many very basic questions. About you, what your strengths and weakness' are, what you liked and disliked about previous jobs. Sales experience, showing some sales skills. ect

Interview Question – We do ask what will set you apart from the others and this question can really make or break the interview.   Answer Question

Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sun Tan City in February 2012.

Interview Details – One-on-one. Why do you want to work here? Do you have any tanning history? How are your customer service skills? It is important to always be upbeat and cheerful because we are always greeting people walking in the door and want to make them feel welcome. What is your favorite part of customer service? What times are you available?

Interview Question – What do you like most about customer service?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was offered a position and came back the SAME day and began training.

Salon Director Interview

Salon Director
Olathe, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sun Tan City in September 2011.

Interview Details – Definitely a very thorough process as they carefully evaluate your credibility as far as being able to properly perform on a personal basis, as well as efficiently & effectively managing the entire salon and it's employees where the salon is successful in both customer service and financial aspects

Interview Question – What makes you think you're qualified..? -I wanted to answer "look at my resume and all the experience in both schooling & working in the industry for another salon?" Like I felt self absorbed answering that   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Became the franchisee's highest paid manager!

Shepherdsville, KY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sun Tan City in January 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was pretty easy. I put in my application and a friend of mine that worked there put in a good word for me to the salon director. I called a week later to check on my application. A couple days later she called me to set up an interview for the following day. Interview was very easy going. They want your personality to show through the interview and they do a good job with helping you do so. Short interview. Easy questions.

Interview Question – There weren't any unexpected questions but the most difficult one is the, "name your 3 worst qualities." I hate answer that question because they know the answer is a backhanded compliment. At the same time, I hate the question, "name 3 best qualities." Seems more appropriate for an interview but still hard to answer. Questions were definitely easy enough to answer though.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It wasn't much of a negotiation. She called me a couple days later to offer me the job. I accepted and she called back the next week to give me my schedule.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sun Tan City

Worked for Sun Tan City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Tan City interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sun Tan City employees and interview candidates.