Sun Tan City

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.3

Tanning Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City.

The people were very nice and friendly, and so was my interviewer. They asked simple questions. Nothing crazy was asked. They asked you to describe yourself with five adjectives really quick. The interview lasted about thirty minutes.

Tanning Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sun Tan City.

I filled out an application on over the weekend and received a call the next day, mid-afternoon to interview the following week. They were very accommodating with times to interview. The interview itself was good; however, when I got there for the interview they still had me fill out a paper application even though I applied online. Maybe I forgot something? I honestly can't remember. The salon director was very nice and professional. The questions weren't too hard except the one I listed below. The whole process took about 45 minutes and I felt like I was chatting with her for part of the time. Upon completion of asking me questions, she told me about the salon/pay/expectations/busy season as well as clarified how many hours I would be interested in working. I felt like she was being very upfront and wanted to make sure neither one of us wasted our time should I work there and it not turn out to be what I expected. She said I would know within a few days whether or not they feel I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you would bring to this location that is different from everyone else?   Answer Question

Assistant Salon Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sun Tan City.

The interview process took a few days. I applied online and they called me for a phone screen. The interview was with the district manager and it was all the typical questions, no curve balls. It was a straight forward strengths and weaknesses type of interview. It was formal but it wasn't a high pressure situation.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question. I was asked was probably about my own professionalism and how I handled tough situations in management.   View Answer

Salon Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sun Tan City.

Applied online after seeing a Craigslist posting about an open Salon Director position. I sent my resume, received a response with generalized questions about my personality a few days later. After I replied with my responses, I was emailed by another employee who set up my interview for the next day. I was on time for my interview and waited in the lobby for about 15-20 minutes before going back. The lobby and store in general felt awkward, cold, and unwelcoming. I was uncomfortable as soon as I walked in. The interview was in an "office" that was the size of a pantry. My interviewer was a corporate employee and seemed very bored and discontent with her job. No one at the store seemed to have any passion or personality, which was disheartening. My interview consisted of general questions about my experience, as well as situations that I have been in. Examples: "Give an example of a situation in which you had to discipline an employee", "What qualities do you believe good managers should have?", etc. I probably answered about 3 pages worth of questions. During my interview, the woman informed me that I was interviewing for an assistant (!!!) manager position. If I would have known that before, I wouldn't have wasted my time. I applied under the false pretenses that it was a general manager position. I was immediately frustrated and turned off once she told me that it was an assistant manager position. Overall, I left feeling uncomfortable and hoping that they wouldn't call me. I would not suggest this employer and I would tan elsewhere after this experience. The overall vibe of this place was just strange.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were regarding how you would handle a certain situation with your employees, and how to discipline them.   Answer Question

Tanning Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City.

I had a lengthy (60 min) interview in the back room of the salon. I was asked the basic question ie. how would you handle the following situations. I was then asked what i knew about the company as well as my tanning/product knowledge I was asked to choose 5 words that described me, then was asked to go in depth and explain why i chose them.

Junior Assistant Salon Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City in March 2014.

On the STC website, there is a link for inquiries. In the middle of a mindless job hunt I put one in. Within a couple days I had an email from the Area Director with a description of the position and responsibilities, and asking if I was still interested, she asked that I email her back with the locations I would be interested in interviewing for. I responded a couple days later due to weather emergencies and lat minute schedule changes.

Within the next day or so I had a phone call from the Salon Director who is in training to be an Area Director. The phone interview went well and I was offered an in-person interview.

The interview went really well, standard questions about strengths and weaknesses, and some about my current position. I am not sure if this was standard or not, but I was asked to stick around and shadow the current Assistant Salon Director. It was the beginning of their peak time, so we did not have time to talk one on one, I just watched him do his job.

Three days after that the Assistant that I shadowed called me to touch base and go over things that the Salon Director covered in my interview, that he missed out on. At the end, he let me know they would be calling me one way or another.

One full week after the in-person interview I was called by the Salon Director and offered a position, and asked to start training at another location the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual or too difficult about questions asked.   Answer Question
    No negotiation room, this position is to prepare you for the Assistant position. With adequate performance, an increase in pay is not far behind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cookeville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cookeville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City in March 2014.

I applied in person and had a friend who worked there so I put her name down as a reference. 4 weeks later they called me 9:00pm at night to schedule an interview the very next day. I thought it was weird how the manager called me that late. Didn't see,very professional. She also let me choose what time to have my interview. The next day I showed up 10 minutes early to the interview. The workers told me it would be a few minutes and she would get back with me. I left my phone in the car so I couldn't keep track of time. It seemed like they were just goofing off because a woman with a baby walked in and they were giving the baby attention.. Then they were talking and laughing. She told me five times it would be just a few minutes and thanks for being patient. Another girl also showed up who was having an interview too. I guess it clicked in their head that they needed to get busy, I finally got the interview and they had a piece of paper with a lot of questions on it. Many questions were related to previous work experience. Interview process took ten minutes. After the interview I checked the time and I was in there for an hour total. I was very aggravated.

Interview Questions
    • Describe yourself using only five words   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sun Tan City in March 2014.

The interviewing processes seemed unprofessional. And weren't really willing to talk about pay. They lost my paperwork and had to find me some other way. They also used a packet for every interview.

Interview Questions
    There was no room for negotiation towards anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sun Tan City in January 2014.

Clear expectations. Send a follow up email with training schedule and everything. They do it all for you short of literally picking you up and driving you to the salon!

Interview Questions
    It was upfront and clear only a complete irresponsible idiot wouldn't know what was next or expected

Part Time Tanning Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sun Tan City in September 2013.

This is going to be a long review and i apologize for that but i would encourage anyone interested in working at Sun Tan City to realize how unprofessional they are and just know that it is not normal for a company to handle things this way. I have lots of previous experience in retail and selling and have never experienced anything like this. I was just looking for a fun second job so I turned in an application at the salon and received a call the next day asking me to come in for an interview which I agreed to. The interview questions were easy and straight forward, no surprises. The interviewer told me she was extremely interested in me since I did have previous selling experience and asked me on the spot if I was interested in a second interview and I said I was. She then told me that the regional manager would be in touch with me very soon. I didn't get a call from the regional manager until 4 days later and by that point I had honestly forgotten about the position because I do have school as well as another job. I received the call at 9:05 pm! Which should have been my first clue of how unprofessional this company is. She told me to be at a completely location then the one I had applied to work at by 10 am the next day and as it turns out this location was over an hour away from my home in a part of town that I had never been to. I told her this and she said she didn't know the area well enough to give me directions. I put the location in my gps the next morning and even that couldn't find this place. I got extremely lost and it took my almost 2 hours to even navigate my way home. I tried to call the salon but the number listed on the website had been completely disconnected! I had to call the corporate office to even get a hold of this salon. When I called another person answered the phone and said Jessica couldn't talk to me because "She was, like, pretty busy." I told this person of my situation and wanted to know is she was interested in rescheduling. She didn't return my call until days later and ended up just offering me the position over the phone. I was so frustrated at this point because I have never had to deal with a company as unprofessional as Sun Tan City. What was the point of having me drive an hour out of my way to just over me the position over the phone?? I ended up turning it down and when she asked me why I told her that I wasn't interested in working for a company as unprofessional as this one.

Interview Questions
    • What is a personal goal you have for yourself that has nothing to do with school or work?   View Answer

If the interview process was this unprofessional I can't even imagine what it would be like working there. I already have school and another job I wanted something fun and exciting. I do not need the added stress of this place added to my plate.