Sun Tan City Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.2

Tanning Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sun Tan City.

Interview

Applied online. About a week later I recorded a phone call and she asked me a few basic questions (availability, experience, why do I want to work there). Then she asked if I could come in that day for an interview. I went that day. Got interviewed and then she offered my the position of a tanning constant. I started a few days later. Took about two weeks for when I applied to when I started training.

Interview Questions

• What are 5 adjectives that best fit you?
      What are your goals in life?
      Why do you want to work for sun tan city? (Don't say free tanning!)

Answer Question

Tanning Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City.

Interview

The people were very nice and friendly, and so was my interviewer. They asked simple questions. Nothing crazy was asked. They asked you to describe yourself with five adjectives really quick. The interview lasted about thirty minutes.

Tanning Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sun Tan City.

Interview

I filled out an application on over the weekend and received a call the next day, mid-afternoon to interview the following week. They were very accommodating with times to interview. The interview itself was good; however, when I got there for the interview they still had me fill out a paper application even though I applied online. Maybe I forgot something? I honestly can't remember. The salon director was very nice and professional. The questions weren't too hard except the one I listed below. The whole process took about 45 minutes and I felt like I was chatting with her for part of the time. Upon completion of asking me questions, she told me about the salon/pay/expectations/busy season as well as clarified how many hours I would be interested in working. I felt like she was being very upfront and wanted to make sure neither one of us wasted our time should I work there and it not turn out to be what I expected. She said I would know within a few days whether or not they feel I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you would bring to this location that is different from everyone else?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City (West Chester, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was a brief discussion of my experiences. We also discussed my availability a lot, due to me also working another job. I was also asked to select an item from my purse and attempt to sell it to the store manager.

Interview Questions

• Have you had previous experience with selling products?   1 Answer

Assistant Salon Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sun Tan City.

Interview

The interview process took a few days. I applied online and they called me for a phone screen. The interview was with the district manager and it was all the typical questions, no curve balls. It was a straight forward strengths and weaknesses type of interview. It was formal but it wasn't a high pressure situation.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question. I was asked was probably about my own professionalism and how I handled tough situations in management.   1 Answer

Salon Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sun Tan City (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Applied online after seeing a Craigslist posting about an open Salon Director position. I sent my resume, received a response with generalized questions about my personality a few days later. After I replied with my responses, I was emailed by another employee who set up my interview for the next day. I was on time for my interview and waited in the lobby for about 15-20 minutes before going back. The lobby and store in general felt awkward, cold, and unwelcoming. I was uncomfortable as soon as I walked in. The interview was in an "office" that was the size of a pantry. My interviewer was a corporate employee and seemed very bored and discontent with her job. No one at the store seemed to have any passion or personality, which was disheartening. My interview consisted of general questions about my experience, as well as situations that I have been in. Examples: "Give an example of a situation in which you had to discipline an employee", "What qualities do you believe good managers should have?", etc. I probably answered about 3 pages worth of questions. During my interview, the woman informed me that I was interviewing for an assistant (!!!) manager position. If I would have known that before, I wouldn't have wasted my time. I applied under the false pretenses that it was a general manager position. I was immediately frustrated and turned off once she told me that it was an assistant manager position. Overall, I left feeling uncomfortable and hoping that they wouldn't call me. I would not suggest this employer and I would tan elsewhere after this experience. The overall vibe of this place was just strange.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were regarding how you would handle a certain situation with your employees, and how to discipline them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City (Nashville, TN) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and soon after received a phone call to arrange an interview. The interview was at the tanning salon with the manager one on one and took about 35 minutes. Then once I had a face to face interview about 3 days later the district manager called me and gave me a short and to the point phone interview and said I would be contacted about the position with in a week if I got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing to negotiate salary was already set.

Tanning Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City.

Interview

I had a lengthy (60 min) interview in the back room of the salon. I was asked the basic question ie. how would you handle the following situations. I was then asked what i knew about the company as well as my tanning/product knowledge I was asked to choose 5 words that described me, then was asked to go in depth and explain why i chose them.

Junior Assistant Salon Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2014.

Interview

On the STC website, there is a link for inquiries. In the middle of a mindless job hunt I put one in. Within a couple days I had an email from the Area Director with a description of the position and responsibilities, and asking if I was still interested, she asked that I email her back with the locations I would be interested in interviewing for. I responded a couple days later due to weather emergencies and lat minute schedule changes.

Within the next day or so I had a phone call from the Salon Director who is in training to be an Area Director. The phone interview went well and I was offered an in-person interview.

The interview went really well, standard questions about strengths and weaknesses, and some about my current position. I am not sure if this was standard or not, but I was asked to stick around and shadow the current Assistant Salon Director. It was the beginning of their peak time, so we did not have time to talk one on one, I just watched him do his job.

Three days after that the Assistant that I shadowed called me to touch base and go over things that the Salon Director covered in my interview, that he missed out on. At the end, he let me know they would be calling me one way or another.

One full week after the in-person interview I was called by the Salon Director and offered a position, and asked to start training at another location the next day.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual or too difficult about questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation room, this position is to prepare you for the Assistant position. With adequate performance, an increase in pay is not far behind.

Anonymous Employee in Cookeville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sun Tan City (Cookeville, TN) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied in person and had a friend who worked there so I put her name down as a reference. 4 weeks later they called me 9:00pm at night to schedule an interview the very next day. I thought it was weird how the manager called me that late. Didn't see,very professional. She also let me choose what time to have my interview. The next day I showed up 10 minutes early to the interview. The workers told me it would be a few minutes and she would get back with me. I left my phone in the car so I couldn't keep track of time. It seemed like they were just goofing off because a woman with a baby walked in and they were giving the baby attention.. Then they were talking and laughing. She told me five times it would be just a few minutes and thanks for being patient. Another girl also showed up who was having an interview too. I guess it clicked in their head that they needed to get busy, I finally got the interview and they had a piece of paper with a lot of questions on it. Many questions were related to previous work experience. Interview process took ten minutes. After the interview I checked the time and I was in there for an hour total. I was very aggravated.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself using only five words   1 Answer