SunEdison Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014

2.8

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SunEdison.

2 phone interviews, one by entry-level analysts and another by more senior staff, followed by flyout interview in Belmont, CA.

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if you are given too demanding of a workload?   View Answer

Sourcing Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SunEdison in February 2014.

I had a very negative experience at Sun Edison while interviewing for the Sourcing Engineer position. I had about 5 interviews over phone (spread over 8 weeks) before being called in for a final round.

The schedule and interviewers for the final round was very different than what I had been informed. The first interviewer was already 40 minutes late and did not have any room reserved. The other two 'scheduled interviewers' were either not in office or busy. Another guy came in totally unprepared and told me that he was there "only as a filler" and didn't know much. I had an abrupt break after the second interview for about 45 minutes and was all by myself sitting in the conference room. The third interviewer was very helpful and friendly. I was then told to leave because the forth interviewer did not have time to meet. He would instead call me at 6:00 PM (local time) to talk further... WOW!!!! This is not the end.

Next day (Friday) I got a call and they gave me a verbal offer and negotiated a start-date (I was already working for another company) with a promise of extending an offer next week. I connected with them the next Tuesday and they expressed delays and uncertainty in extending an offer. After trying to reach out to them for another 2 days, they said they cannot extend an offer letter because of change in budget allocations. (ALL THIS HAPPENS IN ONE WEEK. SO UNPROFESSIONAL).

They were supposed to reimburse my for my flight and accommodation. It has been more then 12 weeks and I am yet to get my money back. The team has been very unresponsive to my emails about reimbursement. I have sent at least four emails. I was finally able to get in touch with the accounting department and they have now started processing my reimbursement.

I have never seen such unprofessional behavior from any company in the past and wonder how they even work with such irresponsible people. Sun Edison definitely looks like a great company but I am saddened to say that my experience has been very negative.

Interview Questions
    • Why Solar?
      What is your experience in Energy Storage and excel modelling?
        Answer Question

Rotational Analyst Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SunEdison in February 2014.

In order to be considered for the position I submitted a resume and cover letter, while also completing a short essay question about identifying the best environments (business, geographic, etc) and considerations for solar power. Based on my information I was offered a first round phone interview, conducted by two current analysts in the program. The interviewers followed a clear script and did not seem particularly experienced in hiring (which makes sense given that they were recent college grads themselves)

Contractor Interview

Contract employee

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at SunEdison in September 2013.

The interview process with this company was pretty good. At first their was a "take home" project they assigned to me, that was specific enough to not be easily google-able that gave me a chance to prove my engineering chops without a high stress situation.

The interviews were above average, with more general lines of questions and no trivia or puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember a specific unexpected question, I do remember I was asked to explain a reader/writer lock, which I happened to be extremely familiar with.   Answer Question
    There was little to no negotiation, as unfortunately I let the head hunters who got me the interview do the negotiation and they basically rolled over. This was unfortunate, as working for this company I have found that getting the starting salary you want is instrumental in being happy with comp here, as getting raising is neigh impossible even with superior results.

Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunEdison.

It was pretty standard and I should have prepared more. They had two interviewers who asked pretty basic questions plus a case question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SunEdison in November 2010.

I had another offer so they went as quickly as the could. Phone interview with HR. Phone then in-person interview with hiring manager and a couple of functional experts. Phone interview with president. Final in-person interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    Got a higher signing bonus.

Senior IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SunEdison in June 2010.

Very straight-forward process with HR setting up interview time. Went through 3 screens with HR, Hiring Manager and Senior Director. I would be patient with HR as they can take several weeks in responding or submitting an offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Interview process was nothing out of the ordinary for interview preparation.   Answer Question
    Counter Offered initial offier and company accepted.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SunEdison in November 2009.

Consisted of phone screen with HR and hiring manager...then was flown in for a round of interviews (5 total) with various leaders that the role touched - project finance, hr, sales, marketing and product development. Conducted behavioral interviewing and standard interviewing with all of them. Was a good experience, they were open about the challenges of the position and all seemed genuine. Felt wanted...heard from HR and the business manager within a few days of the in person interview and received an offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • some of the behavioral based questions make you think   View Answer
    The offer was extended verbally by manager and HR...documents sent to me via email and hard copy in the mail. They explained the offer and rationale behind it and it was very generous. Actually received 5k above what I was seeking. It was a great fit

Design Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SunEdison.

Very Lengthy Process, No clear process defined by management and recruitment procedure and the interview is being conducted as and when they wish without any clear vision of recruitment requirment