SunEdison

Updated Nov 28, 2014

2.9

Business Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at SunEdison in October 2014.

Originally applied for an engineering position but was contacted by HR telling me that they felt I would be a better fit for the Business Process Analyst. It was almost like a cold call, but as the position sounded interesting, even a little exciting, and related to renewable energy (my passion) I agreed to an interview.

The interview was friendly and seemed to go well. We talked about my resume and the work I have done. Some light technical as it related to solar and modeling, some about how I interact with difficult people. The only curve ball was a question on my SQL skill level (a skill not stated anywhere on my submitted CV). The spooky part is that I am currently taking a class on it.

I was told that I would be sent to the next hiring manager. Unfortunately I received a rejection letter, but on the plus side it was prompt. I like prompt, remove it from the list and roll on. Even still, it is a little confusing to be cut out so quickly on a position that I was cold called on.

The interview was useful in that it answered some questions that I could not dig up answers for:
    *Annual bonus, this question comes up in the application submission (must answer in number/percentage so be ready), but has no frame of reference. It appears that 8-16% is a good range.

*Compensation, for this position it was in the 80's which seems to run low for the bay area. Maybe with the bonus, depending on level, this balances.

*No counter offer, when asked "what compensation do you want" (also a must answer on the application), be careful. The impression I get is that SunEdison takes "Desired" as "Must be". If that range is out of their "Desired" it will likely lead to a rejection.

My impression is that not living in the immediate area is a very strong negative. On the plus side they do have a phone number for the HR dept and the reps there are friendly. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SunEdison in September 2014.

Began with a on-campus in-person interview, proceeded to a technical phone interview, and then last phase was a panel interview over the phone with 5 executives. The people are very friendly and smart, and they wanted to get to know me on a personal level and judge personality as well as technical ability.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SunEdison.

2 phone interviews, one by entry-level analysts and another by more senior staff, followed by flyout interview in Belmont, CA.

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if you are given too demanding of a workload?   View Answer

Sourcing Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SunEdison in February 2014.

I had a very negative experience at Sun Edison while interviewing for the Sourcing Engineer position. I had about 5 interviews over phone (spread over 8 weeks) before being called in for a final round.

The schedule and interviewers for the final round was very different than what I had been informed. The first interviewer was already 40 minutes late and did not have any room reserved. The other two 'scheduled interviewers' were either not in office or busy. Another guy came in totally unprepared and told me that he was there "only as a filler" and didn't know much. I had an abrupt break after the second interview for about 45 minutes and was all by myself sitting in the conference room. The third interviewer was very helpful and friendly. I was then told to leave because the forth interviewer did not have time to meet. He would instead call me at 6:00 PM (local time) to talk further... WOW!!!! This is not the end.

Next day (Friday) I got a call and they gave me a verbal offer and negotiated a start-date (I was already working for another company) with a promise of extending an offer next week. I connected with them the next Tuesday and they expressed delays and uncertainty in extending an offer. After trying to reach out to them for another 2 days, they said they cannot extend an offer letter because of change in budget allocations. (ALL THIS HAPPENS IN ONE WEEK. SO UNPROFESSIONAL).

They were supposed to reimburse my for my flight and accommodation. It has been more then 12 weeks and I am yet to get my money back. The team has been very unresponsive to my emails about reimbursement. I have sent at least four emails. I was finally able to get in touch with the accounting department and they have now started processing my reimbursement.

I have never seen such unprofessional behavior from any company in the past and wonder how they even work with such irresponsible people. Sun Edison definitely looks like a great company but I am saddened to say that my experience has been very negative.

Interview Questions
    • Why Solar?
      What is your experience in Energy Storage and excel modelling?

Answer Question

Rotational Analyst Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SunEdison in February 2014.

In order to be considered for the position I submitted a resume and cover letter, while also completing a short essay question about identifying the best environments (business, geographic, etc) and considerations for solar power. Based on my information I was offered a first round phone interview, conducted by two current analysts in the program. The interviewers followed a clear script and did not seem particularly experienced in hiring (which makes sense given that they were recent college grads themselves)

Contractor Interview

Contract employee

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belmont, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at SunEdison in September 2013.

The interview process with this company was pretty good. At first their was a "take home" project they assigned to me, that was specific enough to not be easily google-able that gave me a chance to prove my engineering chops without a high stress situation.

The interviews were above average, with more general lines of questions and no trivia or puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember a specific unexpected question, I do remember I was asked to explain a reader/writer lock, which I happened to be extremely familiar with.   Answer Question
    There was little to no negotiation, as unfortunately I let the head hunters who got me the interview do the negotiation and they basically rolled over. This was unfortunate, as working for this company I have found that getting the starting salary you want is instrumental in being happy with comp here, as getting raising is neigh impossible even with superior results.

Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunEdison.

It was pretty standard and I should have prepared more. They had two interviewers who asked pretty basic questions plus a case question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SunEdison in November 2010.

I had another offer so they went as quickly as the could. Phone interview with HR. Phone then in-person interview with hiring manager and a couple of functional experts. Phone interview with president. Final in-person interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    Got a higher signing bonus.

Senior IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SunEdison in June 2010.

Very straight-forward process with HR setting up interview time. Went through 3 screens with HR, Hiring Manager and Senior Director. I would be patient with HR as they can take several weeks in responding or submitting an offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Interview process was nothing out of the ordinary for interview preparation.   Answer Question
    Counter Offered initial offier and company accepted.