SunPower (San Jose, CA) Interview Questions

3.1

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Phone interview followed by on-site interview. 5-6 engineers were met including directors and managers. They were mostly very nice and carefully listened and gave helpful tips and insights about the company. On-site interview took for a whole day. There were a few technical questions but not very hard and all people were very friendly.

Business Analyst (Project Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

The whole interviews include phone call and onsite interview. I applied for this position online and also talked with recruiters at career fair. The first round phone call is mainly about behavior questions. For example, your experiences according the the CV. During the onsite interview, I was asked sth about PV market, microgrids technology,both technical and business questions. I had interviews with several managers of SunPower. The division is global business strategies and their office is in Richmond.

Salesforce Project Manager Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in October 2014.

Spoke with a recruiter for initial screen. Then I was scheduled to interview by phone with SunPower's CRM/BI Director on a Friday afternoon. While I was answering his questions, he continuously stated I answered his questions "perfectly". He was very complimentary about the depth and breadth of my answers. He mentioned he had interviewed other candidates who weren't able to answer his questions with the same level of expertise. At the end of the interview we talked about timing for me to start. He said he needed me there "as soon as possible". All I needed to do was interview by phone with his two team members. He made it sound like it was a mere formality.

After the weekend, I spoke on Monday evening with two of his team members. The first was the Salesforce Admin. He had been working there for about 6 years. He's also sharp and knows Salesforce well. My phone interview with him went extremely well.

Then I spoke with the Technical Architect. She was relatively new at SunPower. Her questions lacked direction and clarity. It seemed like she Googled some topics to discuss with me such as the definition of a Center of Excellence, and the steps of the Agile methodology. She became frustrated when I asked her to clarify one of her questions to me which was, "If we had to replace 1 million solar panels, what would you do?". She also asked me why I would want to be a Project Manager when I formerly served as a Director. I answered that I don't focus on titles, I focus on being part of a team and on our deliverables. She said she didn't need me to be there as a Director, that she wanted a Project Manger. I re-iterated that was the position for which I was interviewing, so we were in alignment. Although I thought the interview didn't go as well as it could have, sometimes those things happen. I apologized to her in case she was frustrated, but she said she "enjoyed our conversation".

I spent the next few days following up to get a status update, and was told later that week that although the Director liked me a lot, the feedback from his team members wasn't as positive so they were going to pass on me. That was shocking news, and it was the first time it's happened in 25 years of working in software.

I've been a Project Manager for 15 years, and I've been successfully managing Salesforce implementations for 5 years at over 10 companies. I've stood up two Salesforce Centers of Excellence that are still running as I left them.

I'm not sure what happened, nor why the Technical Architect had an issue with our interview, but I did see that a CRM Director's position was open at SunPower. Maybe she wanted that position and felt I'd be a threat for it, so she purposefully undermined my credibility for the PM position. C'est la vie.

Interview Questions
    • If we had to replace 1 million solar panels, what would you do?   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Customer Relationship Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Over six weeks elapsed between initial submission of my online application and contact from a recruiter. Once the recruiter was actively engaged, the process moved slowly but consistently. Everyone was polite and helpful throughout the process.

The first step was a phone screening by the recruiter. This was a relatively short (less than 30 minute) and very friendly conversation. A week passed and I was given a schedule of five additional phone interviews. These were scheduled for 45 minutes each over a period of two days. I made it a point to keep them on schedule although one did choose to go longer.

After the phone interviews were completed and another week passed, I was invited to give a presentation and given prep questions (see below). Apparently three finalists were invited to give presentations.

Interview Questions
    • The final step was a one hour presentation to a group of future team members and stakeholders - including some of the same people I previously interviewed with by phone. The initial topic was:

"Given the trends and evolution in digital marketing, what CRM capabilities should SunPower consider deploying in order to be best positioned to efficiently acquire customers in this fast-growing market?"

Additional topics were added to include: how to set vision and strategy for the team, approach for working with other departments, and defining a plan for the first 90 days.

Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Basic electrical voltage, current, & power analysis questions. It would be good to review basic electrical textbook before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Started by doing a phone screen with HR. Proceeded to phone screen with the hiring manager. I was told that they were interested in doing an onsite interview. I have a hectic travel schedule and tried to confirm for days my exact interview date. Finally, two days before the interview, it was actually confirmed. I came to the interview prepared, except SunPower wasn't. Calling it a cluster would be generous. Interviewers kept on shuffling their times and saw my resume for the first time on the way to the interview. At one point, I sat in a conference room for over an hour as someone simply dropped off the schedule. The hiring manager himself said that half an hour was not enough time and that there would have to be a follow up interview. The next day, I spoke to the recruiter and she said that she would set up yet another interview. The interview was supposed to be by phone. Half an hour before the interview, she called to reschedule. I told her that I was unimpressed with their ability to do something as simple as schedule an interview and that the onsite interview I did attend was a disaster and should be considered an embarrassment by them. She insisted that my feedback was strong and I had moved to a "short list" of candidates. Half an hour later, I received an email stating they were no longer interested in considering me for employment. I found the entire experience to by highly unprofessional and a huge waste of time. Perhaps I should have played the game and plastered a smile on my face and not expressed my concerns. Maybe it would have resulted in an offer. However, if this is how they treat people during recruiting, what would it be like to work there?

Interview Questions
    • All really standard questions. Very rushed, interviewers very unprepared.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Contacted by phone, then formal interview. Interviewed with 4 people, who wanted to know about my academic background, and how I had solved problems. I spoke a lot (presentation at the end as well). Whilere there were no super-diffifcult technical questions, other than describing stuff that I knew, you should know your stuff well! Friendly people, and friendly atmosphere of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing technical that wasn't from my background. Standard questions. Perhaps unexpected: Would I see myself in another team instead.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in September 2013.

I gave two telephonic and four in-person interviews for this position. The in-person interviews were at the company's offices. All interviews lasted for about 30 minutes each. After six interviews I was told that they will not hire me since I did not have North America experience despite receiving compliments for my work portfolio from every interviewer. They did not inform me about their decision for weeks after, until I decided to follow up with them.

Interview Questions
    • General questions about my experience. No difficult questions   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

HR representative was well versed with the company goals and objectives. He was good to follow up and arrange the technical interview

Interview Questions
    • After explaining in details what my current role is, I got the same question again .. ok now tell me what you do in your current role?   View Answer

EPC Director of Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Panel of 3, all executives

Interview Questions
    • all was as expected, knowledge of both upstream and downstream business activities, project development and delivery   Answer Question
    no need to offer was good as is