SunPower (San Jose, CA) Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2014

3.2

Senior Manager, Customer Relationship Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Over six weeks elapsed between initial submission of my online application and contact from a recruiter. Once the recruiter was actively engaged, the process moved slowly but consistently. Everyone was polite and helpful throughout the process.

The first step was a phone screening by the recruiter. This was a relatively short (less than 30 minute) and very friendly conversation. A week passed and I was given a schedule of five additional phone interviews. These were scheduled for 45 minutes each over a period of two days. I made it a point to keep them on schedule although one did choose to go longer.

After the phone interviews were completed and another week passed, I was invited to give a presentation and given prep questions (see below). Apparently three finalists were invited to give presentations.

Interview Questions
    • The final step was a one hour presentation to a group of future team members and stakeholders - including some of the same people I previously interviewed with by phone. The initial topic was:

"Given the trends and evolution in digital marketing, what CRM capabilities should SunPower consider deploying in order to be best positioned to efficiently acquire customers in this fast-growing market?"

Additional topics were added to include: how to set vision and strategy for the team, approach for working with other departments, and defining a plan for the first 90 days.
        Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Basic electrical voltage, current, & power analysis questions. It would be good to review basic electrical textbook before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Started by doing a phone screen with HR. Proceeded to phone screen with the hiring manager. I was told that they were interested in doing an onsite interview. I have a hectic travel schedule and tried to confirm for days my exact interview date. Finally, two days before the interview, it was actually confirmed. I came to the interview prepared, except SunPower wasn't. Calling it a cluster would be generous. Interviewers kept on shuffling their times and saw my resume for the first time on the way to the interview. At one point, I sat in a conference room for over an hour as someone simply dropped off the schedule. The hiring manager himself said that half an hour was not enough time and that there would have to be a follow up interview. The next day, I spoke to the recruiter and she said that she would set up yet another interview. The interview was supposed to be by phone. Half an hour before the interview, she called to reschedule. I told her that I was unimpressed with their ability to do something as simple as schedule an interview and that the onsite interview I did attend was a disaster and should be considered an embarrassment by them. She insisted that my feedback was strong and I had moved to a "short list" of candidates. Half an hour later, I received an email stating they were no longer interested in considering me for employment. I found the entire experience to by highly unprofessional and a huge waste of time. Perhaps I should have played the game and plastered a smile on my face and not expressed my concerns. Maybe it would have resulted in an offer. However, if this is how they treat people during recruiting, what would it be like to work there?

Interview Questions
    • All really standard questions. Very rushed, interviewers very unprepared.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Contacted by phone, then formal interview. Interviewed with 4 people, who wanted to know about my academic background, and how I had solved problems. I spoke a lot (presentation at the end as well). Whilere there were no super-diffifcult technical questions, other than describing stuff that I knew, you should know your stuff well! Friendly people, and friendly atmosphere of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing technical that wasn't from my background. Standard questions. Perhaps unexpected: Would I see myself in another team instead.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in September 2013.

I gave two telephonic and four in-person interviews for this position. The in-person interviews were at the company's offices. All interviews lasted for about 30 minutes each. After six interviews I was told that they will not hire me since I did not have North America experience despite receiving compliments for my work portfolio from every interviewer. They did not inform me about their decision for weeks after, until I decided to follow up with them.

Interview Questions
    • General questions about my experience. No difficult questions   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

HR representative was well versed with the company goals and objectives. He was good to follow up and arrange the technical interview

Interview Questions
    • After explaining in details what my current role is, I got the same question again .. ok now tell me what you do in your current role?   View Answer

EPC Director of Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Panel of 3, all executives

Interview Questions
    • all was as expected, knowledge of both upstream and downstream business activities, project development and delivery   Answer Question
    no need to offer was good as is

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

I applied online, and was screened by a recruiter who was very nice and professional. I went through 8 total interviews with them. I was invited to come onsite for the final interview; SunPower paid for everything. I went through four rounds, total 8 interviews. It was not bad considering the recruiter was very organized and planned things really well. The interviewers were nice, polite, and professional. Each interviewer did a thorough technical, behavioral and a cultural fit interview. If you would be interviewing here, you have to be on top of your game the team is very knowledgeable. Also you would be competing with Ivy league students for positions

Interview Questions
    • Questions around balancing technical value and business value, how would i go about it.   Answer Question

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in June 2012.

Contacted by recruiter and went through 2 rounds including an on-site interview. The interview experience was positive with the recruiter keeping me updated on the status through out the process.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were expected. Examples of strategic HR work.   Answer Question

Project Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in July 2011.

I had a phone interview with the head of the Trenton office followed by a phone interview with an associate. About a week and a half later I traveled to the Trenton office and met with three analysts for half an hour each. These interviews were primarily "walk me through your resume" and personality questions. The following week I came back for three more interviews with more senior people. These interviews were pretty basic as well, the only difference was that one included a very brief and simple case about solar development.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They gave me the higher of the two potential packages they offer to candidates and said that was the best they could do.