SunPower (San Jose, CA)

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Manager, Customer Relationship Marketing Interview

Senior Manager, Customer Relationship Marketing
Austin, TX

Interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA)

Interview Details – Over six weeks elapsed between initial submission of my online application and contact from a recruiter. Once the recruiter was actively engaged, the process moved slowly but consistently. Everyone was polite and helpful throughout the process.

The first step was a phone screening by the recruiter. This was a relatively short (less than 30 minute) and very friendly conversation. A week passed and I was given a schedule of five additional phone interviews. These were scheduled for 45 minutes each over a period of two days. I made it a point to keep them on schedule although one did choose to go longer.

After the phone interviews were completed and another week passed, I was invited to give a presentation and given prep questions (see below). Apparently three finalists were invited to give presentations.

Interview Question – The final step was a one hour presentation to a group of future team members and stakeholders - including some of the same people I previously interviewed with by phone. The initial topic was:

"Given the trends and evolution in digital marketing, what CRM capabilities should SunPower consider deploying in order to be best positioned to efficiently acquire customers in this fast-growing market?"

Additional topics were added to include: how to set vision and strategy for the team, approach for working with other departments, and defining a plan for the first 90 days.
  Answer Question

Sales Analyst Interview

Sales Analyst
Richmond, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in March 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward. Did a remote interview, then they flew me to HQ for 3 in person interviews, then got an offer. A few questions were tough, but in a friendly way.

Interview Question – Can't really remember any (didn't write them down and it was a few years ago now.) I'd recommend reviewing any standard interview prep advice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straightforward. I had another offer and tried to negotiate a higher base salary which they declined but gave me some stock options.

Solution Architect Interview

Solution Architect
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Interview Details – Started by doing a phone screen with HR. Proceeded to phone screen with the hiring manager. I was told that they were interested in doing an onsite interview. I have a hectic travel schedule and tried to confirm for days my exact interview date. Finally, two days before the interview, it was actually confirmed. I came to the interview prepared, except SunPower wasn't. Calling it a cluster would be generous. Interviewers kept on shuffling their times and saw my resume for the first time on the way to the interview. At one point, I sat in a conference room for over an hour as someone simply dropped off the schedule. The hiring manager himself said that half an hour was not enough time and that there would have to be a follow up interview. The next day, I spoke to the recruiter and she said that she would set up yet another interview. The interview was supposed to be by phone. Half an hour before the interview, she called to reschedule. I told her that I was unimpressed with their ability to do something as simple as schedule an interview and that the onsite interview I did attend was a disaster and should be considered an embarrassment by them. She insisted that my feedback was strong and I had moved to a "short list" of candidates. Half an hour later, I received an email stating they were no longer interested in considering me for employment. I found the entire experience to by highly unprofessional and a huge waste of time. Perhaps I should have played the game and plastered a smile on my face and not expressed my concerns. Maybe it would have resulted in an offer. However, if this is how they treat people during recruiting, what would it be like to work there?

Interview Question – All really standard questions. Very rushed, interviewers very unprepared.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Interview Details – Basic electrical voltage, current, & power analysis questions. It would be good to review basic electrical textbook before the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was really difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

EPC Director of Projects Interview

EPC Director of Projects
Richmond, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Interview Details – Panel of 3, all executives

Interview Question – all was as expected, knowledge of both upstream and downstream business activities, project development and delivery   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no need to offer was good as is

Financial Systems Manager Interview

Financial Systems Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in February 2011.

Interview Details – 4 levels of interview. Very well organized. People I met were knowledgeable on the areas I was hired.

Interview Question – What will you do to reduce the period close duration which is not at acceptable level at this time   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate RSU's offered. I was successful when I put forward the case. HR was very open and reasonable. They understand the market situation

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Marketing Communications Manager
Richmond, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in September 2013.

Interview Details – I gave two telephonic and four in-person interviews for this position. The in-person interviews were at the company's offices. All interviews lasted for about 30 minutes each. After six interviews I was told that they will not hire me since I did not have North America experience despite receiving compliments for my work portfolio from every interviewer. They did not inform me about their decision for weeks after, until I decided to follow up with them.

Interview Question – General questions about my experience. No difficult questions   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Interview Details – Contacted by phone, then formal interview. Interviewed with 4 people, who wanted to know about my academic background, and how I had solved problems. I spoke a lot (presentation at the end as well). Whilere there were no super-diffifcult technical questions, other than describing stuff that I knew, you should know your stuff well! Friendly people, and friendly atmosphere of the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing technical that wasn't from my background. Standard questions. Perhaps unexpected: Would I see myself in another team instead.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA).

Interview Details – HR representative was well versed with the company goals and objectives. He was good to follow up and arrange the technical interview

Interview Question – After explaining in details what my current role is, I got the same question again .. ok now tell me what you do in your current role?   View Answer

QA Manager Interview

QA Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at SunPower (San Jose, CA) in August 2010.

Interview Details – Usually interview process - 2 rounds thorough interview.

Interview Question – Not many - just be prepared of what you are looking for.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at SunPower (San Jose, CA)

Worked for SunPower (San Jose, CA)? Contribute to the Community!