SunTrust Robinson Humphrey Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey (Richmond, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

There interview that of both behavioral and technical questions. The interview lasted around 30 -45 minutes and they let me know the next day about the position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for SunTrust Robinson Humphrey

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

On campus screening interview, then Superday. Campus screening was purely behavioral-- very similar to most first round interviews. Superday was a series of 6 back to back 30 minute interviews. One interview was technical, but the rest were situational -- tell me about a time you failed, worked on a team, etc.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting through career services job board. Interview was a first round interview on campus. Presumably the second round would be a super day at their office in Atlanta.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, There were only a couple of standard accounting questions for technicals. Not anything you should not have seen before. Everything else was strictly behavioral and fit based.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey.

Interview

STRH recruits heavily on campus. Starts with a first round interview with 2 interviewers, then the standard superday with 7 interviews. The initial interview consists of mainly qualitative questions and will rarely ask about a DCF. The superday covers just about everything, but again, not super technical.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question was a business case about a car rental company. The interviewer asked, "Based on the business, what would you expect its cash flow statement to look like"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, but the compensation is very reasonable for living in Atlanta.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in October 2013.

Interview

First round interview was on campus. It was pretty straightforward: resume walkthrough, question about the three main valuation methodologies. On the night of the first round interview, there was a reception with employees who were alumni at my school.

I made it past the first round to the final round (superday) interview at STRH. There's a tour of the building, reception and dinner on Friday night. Then there are seven interviews on Saturday morning with Associates and VP's. The final interviews were not as technical as expected. They asked about the valuation methodologies again. Most of the questions were behavioral type of questions.

Interview Questions

• Please explain a complicated concept that you learned in school in a way that you would explain it to a child (this doesn't sound hard, but without any time to think I struggled with this one).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey (Atlanta, GA) in September 2013.

Interview

Went through campus recruitment, went to Super day later that week. Went well

Interview Questions

• Super day - 7, 30 min interviews. Almost completely fit except for one technical portion - nothing hard. Valuation, DCF, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey (Atlanta, GA) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online through my career center. It was only one on campus interview. It was about half fit, half technical. They had me walk me though my resume, then asked why STRH and why Atlanta. The two senior bankers didn't have much personality, and were a little bit rude. Afterwords, they invited the top 3-4 candidates to dinner to make their final decision.

Interview Questions

• How would you assess the credit worthiness of a company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey (Atlanta, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

First interview on a Monday and heard back Tuesday. Flew out Thursday morning to get to know a lot of the VP and MDs during a cocktail hour. Later at night met a lot of analysts and associates at a dinner and then went back to hotel. Early in the morning had 7- 30 minute interviews with all different associates, VPs and MDs in all different industries in their offices. Given a mentor for the time being who was very helpful through out the process. Great company everyone seems down to earth. Best culture of any investment bank I have been to.

Interview Questions

• Very different behavioral questions which make you think and analyze how to answer it. A few technical questions dealing with valuation of companies. Looking for motivated, hardworking, and leadership skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me a position the next week. Called and told me offer (every analyst receives same offer).

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey (Winston-Salem, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

I applied online via my university's campus recruiting system. The night before the interview they took all the candidates out to dinner for an informal meet and greet. The interview itself was half behavioral, half technical finance. It was a 2:1 with a Senior Banker and a Research Analyst. Overall, the interview was straightforward and not too difficult. Be prepared for a lot of technical questions in a short period of time though.

Interview Questions

• Why do you use EV/EBITDA instead of another metric for valuing a company?   1 Answer
    • What is the effect of $10 of depreciation on the three accounting statements?   1 Answer
    • What are the three valuation metrics, and what are the main differences between them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey (Atlanta, GA) in September 2012.

Interview

Had an on campus interview, basic stuff. Nothing technical just behavioral. Said I'd be called back for super day if things went well.