SunTrust Robinson Humphrey

Updated Aug 8, 2014

3.3

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in October 2013.

First round interview was on campus. It was pretty straightforward: resume walkthrough, question about the three main valuation methodologies. On the night of the first round interview, there was a reception with employees who were alumni at my school.

I made it past the first round to the final round (superday) interview at STRH. There's a tour of the building, reception and dinner on Friday night. Then there are seven interviews on Saturday morning with Associates and VP's. The final interviews were not as technical as expected. They asked about the valuation methodologies again. Most of the questions were behavioral type of questions.

Interview Questions
  • Please explain a complicated concept that you learned in school in a way that you would explain it to a child (this doesn't sound hard, but without any time to think I struggled with this one).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for SunTrust Robinson Humphrey

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey.

STRH recruits heavily on campus. Starts with a first round interview with 2 interviewers, then the standard superday with 7 interviews. The initial interview consists of mainly qualitative questions and will rarely ask about a DCF. The superday covers just about everything, but again, not super technical.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was a business case about a car rental company. The interviewer asked, "Based on the business, what would you expect its cash flow statement to look like"   View Answer
    There is no negotiation, but the compensation is very reasonable for living in Atlanta.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in September 2013.

Went through campus recruitment, went to Super day later that week. Went well

Interview Questions
    • Super day - 7, 30 min interviews. Almost completely fit except for one technical portion - nothing hard. Valuation, DCF, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in October 2012.

First interview on a Monday and heard back Tuesday. Flew out Thursday morning to get to know a lot of the VP and MDs during a cocktail hour. Later at night met a lot of analysts and associates at a dinner and then went back to hotel. Early in the morning had 7- 30 minute interviews with all different associates, VPs and MDs in all different industries in their offices. Given a mentor for the time being who was very helpful through out the process. Great company everyone seems down to earth. Best culture of any investment bank I have been to.

Interview Questions
    • Very different behavioral questions which make you think and analyze how to answer it. A few technical questions dealing with valuation of companies. Looking for motivated, hardworking, and leadership skills.   Answer Question
    They offered me a position the next week. Called and told me offer (every analyst receives same offer).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in January 2013.

I applied online through my career center. It was only one on campus interview. It was about half fit, half technical. They had me walk me though my resume, then asked why STRH and why Atlanta. The two senior bankers didn't have much personality, and were a little bit rude. Afterwords, they invited the top 3-4 candidates to dinner to make their final decision.

Interview Questions
    • How would you assess the credit worthiness of a company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in September 2012.

I applied online via my university's campus recruiting system. The night before the interview they took all the candidates out to dinner for an informal meet and greet. The interview itself was half behavioral, half technical finance. It was a 2:1 with a Senior Banker and a Research Analyst. Overall, the interview was straightforward and not too difficult. Be prepared for a lot of technical questions in a short period of time though.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you use EV/EBITDA instead of another metric for valuing a company?   View Answer
    • What is the effect of $10 of depreciation on the three accounting statements?   Answer Question
    • What are the three valuation metrics, and what are the main differences between them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in September 2012.

Had an on campus interview, basic stuff. Nothing technical just behavioral. Said I'd be called back for super day if things went well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey.

On campus interview process was very direct. Just one in-person interview and one meet and greet later that day and that's it. All of the interviewers/check-in people were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What's a constructive criticism your old boss would say about you?   View Answer
    • If you were assessing a companies credit worthiness, what would you look at?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in March 2012.

They had a mixer the night before that I went to. Got to know all of the STRH people who came to campus, which helped when I arrived for my interview the next morning. Questions were a mix of technical and behavioral- a large focus on my willingness to accept an offer in ATL instead of NY or Chicago.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in October 2011.

On campus 30 minute interview followed by a Superday consisting of five 45 minute interviews

Interview Questions
    • How would you judge a company's credit worthiness?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite class? What would the professor of that class say about you?   Answer Question

Worked for SunTrust Robinson Humphrey? Contribute to the Community!