Suncor

Relevance Date Difficulty

Supply Chain Planner Interview

Supply Chain Planner

Interviewed at Suncor

Interview Details – The interview process was a three step process. This included interviews with the supervisor, personnel from the business unit for support as well as the SCM manager. After interviewing, I was contacted a few days later and presented with an offer letter. The offer letter was contingent upon my passing a drug test.

Interview Question – If you and your boss had a disagreement about how to do or implement something, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At the time, I did not feel as though I should negotiate given they had other candidates willing to accept the position.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Suncor.

Interview Details – All hiring was done through the career website portal, however, there were contacts within the company that were avaliable to help (especially to get resumes to them close to the interview process. Interviewers were very nice (panel of 3) and came to our school to interview. The interview started with them talking about themselves, which was interesting, and was relatively informal to start. Questions began with general ones related to resume and moved to others related to the culture of the workplace (these really showed the focus of the company).

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to convince someone to do something without relying on a position of power (i.e. as a supervisor), including how you did it and what the result was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very supporting HR who tried to accomodate as much as possible.

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Suncor.

Interview Details – Full day of interviews with multiple people from various disciplines.

Interview Question – Describe your ideal boss.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Inflexible.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

MEM Planning/Scheduling Interview

MEM Planning/Scheduling

I applied online - interviewed at Suncor in February 2013.

Interview Details – Telephone interview - reviewed my resume with the manager and supervisor for the position. The interview was straightforward, asking general questions as to what classes I was interested in, what I did with my spare time etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Reservoir Engineering Interview

Reservoir Engineering

I applied online and interviewed at Suncor.

Interview Details – Decent process, First interview with HR and 2 hiring managers. They went over the resume, basic behavioral interview questions concerning teamwork, strengths, weakness, where do you see yourself in 5 years and etc.... Just know every aspect of your resume inside out and be prepared to explain what you did in your past relevant work experiences. It was not that difficult of an interview.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had difficulty working in a team   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Suncor in October 2013.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview and then in-person interview. On the phone, they asked what I my educational background was, my current work, and what my career goals were. After few questions, they asked me to come in for an in-person interview.

Interview Question – Over all the interview is pretty casual, but there were some technical questions. Please make sure that you have questions for your interviwee, they will know that you are interested. Most of the questions are behaviour related questions.   Answer Question

Customer Order Management Representative (Coop) Interview

Customer Order Management Representative (Coop)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Suncor in June 2014.

Interview Details – Two interviewers, but only one of them asked me questions.
The first part of the interview went through my resume, so questions were like describe my previous work experiences, the reasons I chose my program as my major and such. The second part were all behavioral questions, so of them were typical questions related to teamwork and prioritization.
The interview last for 45 mins which I think was quite wrong because for most of the time, I was answering questions. I don't remember the exact number of questions being asked but I think there were more than 8.

The interviewers were friendly and knew the position well. They were able to answer my questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you observed an unsafe behavior.   Answer Question

Engineer Co-op Student Interview

Engineer Co-op Student

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Suncor in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on Suncor's website and received a call one day after the job posting closed. They wanted to schedule an interview and also they asked the routine "Are you eligible to work in Canada?" type of questions. The interview was scheduled 5 days later.

The interview was very simple really. Like others said, it was with 2 engineers and not HR. First they went over the position and what it entailed. Then they had questions about a few different things on my resume. Thankfully they didn't just say "explain your resume", it actually sounded like they had studied it prior. They also had a handful of basic questions like "What are your hobbies" and "Why did you choose engineering?". Finally they asked me 3 behavioral questions using the STAR approach (Situation Task Action Result). After they were through with their questions they let me ask some (ask a lot of questions!). It was a very smooth experience overall. I got offered the job the day after my interview. The whole process was only 10 days...so insanely fast on their part.

My advice is to prepare, prepare and then prepare some more. Also ask them stimulating questions, I think that is what helped me the most.

Interview Question – Using the STAR approach, describe a time when you had to work with someone you did not get along with.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Chemical Engineering Co-op Student

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Suncor in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's internship program, but online on Suncor's website. Got a call from HR requesting a phone interview one week after job posting closed, also asked some pre-sreening questions (nothing big, just things like how long you are available for, willing to relocate, etc); interview was two days after and offer came within 24 hours. Interviewed with engineers that I would be working with, no HR. Not much behavioral questions, it was really a get to know the company and the role and for them to get to know me, asked questions about experience and skills listed on my resume (just to throw more light on them), asked about projects I had worked on that were listed on my resume.

I think the main thing was being able to communicate the passion and desire to work with the company, to learn (very important) and just the general motivation. Phone interviews can be tricky because of the absence of facial expression, etc, but if you prepare and smile your way (its in your voice), you'd be fine

Interview Question – There was hardly any difficult or unexpected question - I probably didn't expect the "why did you choose chemical engineering" question but good thing it was one of the questions I prepared for last minute   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Companies typically have fixed pay for co-op so no negotiation

Chemical Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Chemical Engineering Co-op Student
Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Suncor.

Interview Details – Applied online through their career portal. Took approximately 2 and a half weeks for them to get back to me. They contacted me by email, asking me to phone back to them to schedule an hour-long interview two days after. The interviewer is from a technical background and is a very nice person. He began by asking me to describe things I have done in my resume before moving on to behavioural questions. This lasts for approx. 35 mins; the rest of the time was dedicated to me asking them questions.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you applied judgement; favourite and least favourite subjects. Tell me a time when you optimised a process; proficiencies with computer softwares.   Answer Question

Worked for Suncor? Contribute to the Community!