Suncor

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.9

Supply Chain Planner Interview

The interview process was a three step process. This included interviews with the supervisor, personnel from the business unit for support as well as the SCM manager. After interviewing, I was contacted a few days later and presented with an offer letter. The offer letter was contingent upon my passing a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • If you and your boss had a disagreement about how to do or implement something, how would you handle it?   Answer Question
    At the time, I did not feel as though I should negotiate given they had other candidates willing to accept the position.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Suncor.

All hiring was done through the career website portal, however, there were contacts within the company that were avaliable to help (especially to get resumes to them close to the interview process. Interviewers were very nice (panel of 3) and came to our school to interview. The interview started with them talking about themselves, which was interesting, and was relatively informal to start. Questions began with general ones related to resume and moved to others related to the culture of the workplace (these really showed the focus of the company).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to convince someone to do something without relying on a position of power (i.e. as a supervisor), including how you did it and what the result was.   Answer Question
    Very supporting HR who tried to accomodate as much as possible.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Suncor.

Full day of interviews with multiple people from various disciplines.

Inflexible.

Engineer Co-op Student Interview

In person interview. Interviewed with two engineers. Both were pretty nice. They will ask you technical questions so it is definitely good to have taken some courses that are related to the job.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a time you showed your leadership skills.   Answer Question

Engineer Co-op Student - Maintenance Reliability Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Suncor.

I applied through the university's co-op system. Had an interview 3 weeks after applying. Majority of the co-op students (me as well) are asked to go through thier resume. It is benificial if you explain about your resume in detail. Questions about: why you choose mechanical engineering, favourite course, least favourite course, example of when you encountered conflict and an exaple of a time where you showed initiative for safety. Safety is really important.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question: Example of a time when you faced an obstacle during a project.How did you overcome it?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, because its a co-op position

Control Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Suncor.

Had two interviews. First on phone with HR and a second with HR and two technical guys, which ended up being an extremely technical interview, with questions asked that are meant for a junior, while they were interviewing for a senior position. Haven't heard yet, even when they said that they would let me know either way within a certain duration. One thing I found out was the attitude of the hiring manager. Even if they give a go ahead, I have figured out that I wouldn't enjoy working under him.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Quite pleasant but understandably testing given the role and high quality company. Interviewed with three others, HR plus future line managers. Did not progress at that time due to lacking APEGA designation. Bottom line is do some homework before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you were frustrated with people and what did you do to resolve it?   View Answer

New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Suncor.

On campus first round interview with both behavioural and mini-case questions. I didn't expect to have cases during the interview, so I was unprepared. The case is related to their car washing business. Behavioural questions are not difficult. Overall the experience was good and two interviewers were fairly nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you identified a safety issue.
      Tell me a time when you recognized a teammate who made contribution.
        Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

20-30 minute phone interview, then a 1 hour behavioural based interview. Phone interview very straight forward - education background, can you legally work in Canada, etc. Behavioural based interview asks about problematic situations you've been in and how you handled them.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were in a bad situation and had to be the problem solver without anyone's help. What was the problem and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, contract was offered and I accepted it as is.

Reservoir Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Suncor.

Decent process, First interview with HR and 2 hiring managers. They went over the resume, basic behavioral interview questions concerning teamwork, strengths, weakness, where do you see yourself in 5 years and etc.... Just know every aspect of your resume inside out and be prepared to explain what you did in your past relevant work experiences. It was not that difficult of an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had difficulty working in a team   Answer Question